TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Oct-2014, 4:50 PM   #21
lets go red

Complete newbie question: Are there any special winterizing steps that have to be done with an antenna system?

Any tips for receiving a CBS or is it a lost cause until the leaves completely fall?

Also, what could explain why WEAU comes in stable even in a driving rain when the report said it was all but catchable?

Last edited by lets go red; 3-Oct-2014 at 5:24 PM.
lets go red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2014, 4:57 PM   #22
Stereocraig

Just make sure that your connections are moisture tight.

If any tubes, or pipes collect water, make sure they have a way to drain, as to avoid freezing and splitting.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2014, 1:59 PM   #23
lets go red

Thanks for tips! Will definitely be electric taping the heck out out of every connection, especially after last winter's weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets go red View Post
Any tips for receiving a CBS or is it a lost cause until the leaves completely fall?

Also, what could explain why WEAU comes in stable even in a driving rain when the report said it was all but catchable?
Any help?
Old 6-Oct-2014, 3:36 PM   #24
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth when the horse is doing what it is supposed to.

There are substantial limits to the accuracy of the software simulation. The final determinant is to see what works when you actually get metal up in the air and test for a long duration, perhaps a full year so that you get a full cycle of atmospheric conditions over the seasons.

Rainfall itself has very little effect on UHF signal propagation. That doesn't become relevant until you get up into the microwave or satellite frequencies due to the size differential between the signal wavelength and water droplet size.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2014, 9:31 PM   #25
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets go red View Post
Thanks for tips! Will definitely be electric taping the heck out out of every connection, especially after last winter's weather.

Vinyl electrical tape will not keep moisture out of a connection. You will have better results using a mastic type tape such as Coax-Seal or Scotch 2228. I only use vinyl tape as a top coat to protect the soft tacky mastic tape from dirt and UV.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2014, 5:27 PM   #26
lets go red

Does anyone know how to manually enter ATSC channels on a VIZIO E422AR? My Google-fu is failing me.
Old 9-Dec-2014, 3:26 PM   #27
lets go red

What I receive now that winter is here...

By Nielson DMA, in no particular order (not including diginets):

Eau Claire- La Crosse (Technically my "home" market area.):

WHWC- PBS (rf 27): Stable no matter what, not weather affected. (I frequently use this channel to make sure everything is hooked up right and working.)

WQOW- ABC & The CW (rf 15): Stable when aimed at and can be caught off the backside when temp is above 50°F.

WEUX- FOX (rf 49): Stable when aimed at, however seems to be subject to multi-path. (WEUX had ghosting issues back in the analog era.) Can be caught off the backside (not stably) when it is above 25-30°F.
(The station is very clear on the ANT-800 though.)

WEAU- NBC (rf 38): Stable when aimed in the general direction of the tower, not weather affected.

WKBT- CBS (rf 8): Normally stable during the overnight- morning period(s). It can sometimes be caught during the mid-day and evening, as well.

Minneapolis- Saint Paul (The more stations from this market, the better. IMHO):

KARE- NBC (rf 11): Mostly stable but it is very directional, can be affected by wind.

KMSP- FOX (rf 9): Stable when aimed in the general direction of the tower, not usually weather affected.

WCCO- CBS (rf 32): Can be stable below 30°F, subject to random, complete drop outs (w/ little or no pixelation). Also tends be receivable whenever there is a weather front coming out of W to NW.

KSTP- ABC (rf 35): Can be stable below 40°F, subject to random, complete drop outs (w/ some pixelation). Also tends be receivable whenever there is a weather front coming out of W to NW. PSIP info is usually picked up whenever its below 50°F, but no A/V.

KSTC- Ind. (rf 45): Usually a pixelated mess when received, always below 40°F. Also tends be receivable whenever there is a weather front coming out of W to NW.

KTCA- PBS (rf 34): Hardest to receive station out the Twin Cities. Comes in only when it wants too.

KTCI- tpt (rf 23): Second hardest station to receive. Comes in only when it wants too.

WFTC- MyTV (& FOX 9 simul.) (rf 29): Usually a pixelated mess when received, always below 40°F. Also tends be receivable whenever there is a weather front coming out of W to NW.

WUCW- The CW (rf 22): Can be stable below 35-40°F, subject to random, complete drop outs (w/ some pixelation). Also tends be receivable whenever there is a weather front coming out of W to NW. PSIP info is usually picked up whenever its below 55-60°F, but no A/V.

________________________________________________________________________________ _______________

That about sums it up at this point and it took a while to complete this exhaustive list.

What do you all out there think? Any tips that can be gleamed from this list?

Last edited by lets go red; 9-Dec-2014 at 3:40 PM.
Old 9-Dec-2014, 10:33 PM   #28
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Vinyl electrical tape will not keep moisture out of a connection. You will have better results using a mastic type tape such as Coax-Seal or Scotch 2228. I only use vinyl tape as a top coat to protect the soft tacky mastic tape from dirt and UV.
I highly recommend silicone fusing tape for sealing antenna connectors. I use it outdoors on ham radio antenna connectors and it provides a perfect seal without being sticky or tacky. After about 24 hours it fuses to itself and becomes one solid piece. You can easily slit it to remove it and it leaves behind no sticky mess. http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010683 It is also available at Home Depot, on eBay and Amazon.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote