TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Nov-2013, 3:49 PM   #1
nor10

Help with reception.

Hi everyone. I am new here and new to antennas. I havent messed with an antenna since I was little boy when mom would send me outside to turn the antenna pole to tune in days of our lives.

Here's my report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae81e80e6f16

Anyhow, I have recently installed a Mohu SkyHD antenna at my home about 15 feet above the ground at the peak of my roof outside. I have it pointed in the direction of WHP, WITF and WHTM. WGAL, WLYH and and WPMT are very close so I figured I would point at the tower with ABC (WHTM) on it so I could focus on that and hopefully still pick up the other channels.

I was somewhat right in my thinking because I am picking up WHP, WITF, WGAL, WLYH, WPMT, WBAL and occasionally WMPB with varying strength, but I can not for the life of me pick up WHTM, the local ABC station. I had it one time a couple of weeks ago at this location but it was a windy day. I have since been unable to tune it in. If I could pick up ABC, I would be extremely content and happy with my cableless life.

My setup is the SkyHD, as I said mounted about 15ft above ground on the peak of my ranch style home pointed directly at the WHP and WHTM tower. It runs into my basement using the included 30 foot cable. At the end of this cable I have attached the included amplifier which is then attached to a four way splitter. Im only using two connections on the splitter, but the Sky is supposed to be able to power 4 TV's, so I have the splitter there for future purposes.

Is there any hope for picking up WHTM or do I have to just live without ABC? Any thoughts on my current setup? Would I have better success with a different antenna, or pointing in a different direction? I am new to this, so any advice you can give would be great.
nor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2013, 5:59 PM   #2
teleview

+=>

The Main Groups of Tv stations are to the , North/North West and North East.

Install the antenna Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , North West , North . North East.

Aim the antenna at about 30 degree magnetic compass direction.

The Front broad flat surface of the antenna.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

The about 30 degree magnetic compass aim direction is a , in between aim direction of the Tv stations that are to the , North West , North , North East.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the ---> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim can be adjusted for best reception.

--------

Test reception by having only 1 Tv connected ,

No splitters.

---------

Digital Tv tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear the tuner , do a Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

---------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on broadcast Tv reception

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflecting signals bouncing around

In the directions of reception , and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house in the directions of reception.

The Best Pratice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 9-Nov-2013 at 4:18 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 8-Nov-2013, 6:06 PM   #3
nor10

Thank you. I will take the splitter out, check orientation and double scan and see what I get.

Thanks! I will report back.
nor10 is offline   Reply With Quote