TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Jun-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
agios11

Need antenna recommendations

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90386628c4f62c

I bought my antenna and preamp 10 years ago. It has worked fine until recently. A piece broke off and I have lost 2 channels ( channels 10 and 7 specifically). I have tried taping the piece back on, but it has not helped. I think I need to replace the antenna. I am looking for something as inexpensive as possible and easy to install on the mast already on my roof. I was happy with the channels my current antenna was pulling in, so looking for something that will preform the same, or possibly better. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200601_181212.jpg (275.0 KB, 922 views)
File Type: jpg 20200601_181242.jpg (193.1 KB, 874 views)
agios11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2020, 10:42 PM   #2
OTAFAN

Hi agios11:

I would either replace your antenna with what you already have (RCA ANT751, excellent reputation), which you said has been performing well for the past 10 years and you can buy from various big box stores or online either at Amazon or RCA; or if you want something possibly a bit better, go with this:

https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-d...series-hd7694p

Just my two cents. I hope this was helpful.

BTW, please let the forum know what you finally decide and post your replacement. I'm sure it would be of interest. Thanks!

All the best.....

Last edited by OTAFAN; 2-Jun-2020 at 10:51 PM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jun-2020, 9:25 PM   #3
agios11

Thanks. A couple people on Facebook also recommended that antenna. I am seriously considering it since it looks like it may improve my reception a bit. However, when I contacted Wineguard asking about what I would need to buy to install it, they said that antenna would not pull in low uhf channels. I may get it from somewhere that takes returns and return it if I can't get all my channels. Then I can just buy the antenna I already have since it has worked well.
Old 4-Jun-2020, 1:08 AM   #4
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by agios11 View Post
Thanks. A couple people on Facebook also recommended that antenna. I am seriously considering it since it looks like it may improve my reception a bit. However, when I contacted Wineguard asking about what I would need to buy to install it, they said that antenna would not pull in low uhf channels. I may get it from somewhere that takes returns and return it if I can't get all my channels. Then I can just buy the antenna I already have since it has worked well.
The Winegard antenna won't pull in Low VHF channels--do you have any stations in your area broadcasting on channels 3, 4, 5 or 6?

It looks like you are in the Sevierville area...do you want to receive the stations out of Knoxville???

Also, it would be helpful if you could provide a RabbitEars signal report which is much more up-to-date than TV Fool. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
Old 4-Jun-2020, 3:48 PM   #5
agios11

I do mostly want the Knoxville channels. There is one station a bit further out (I think it is 20). I pam not 100% sure what channels the stations I want broadcast on. I only know them by the station numbers. I am trying to learn a bit about how things work so I can get the best antenna fir my needs, but am not very educated about how all the OTA works. Here is my rabbit ears report: https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=94438

I am also posting a picture of a screenshot from the FCC website. This shows the channels I have been getting (I crossed out the one I have not been getting that says it is a lo-v). I am happy with just these channels (although more is slways better). The top 2 channels I lost about 2 weeks ago after a piece broke off my antenna. I want those 2 channels back. The last 2 channels on the picture are channels that I can sometimes get and sometimes not get. If I don't get them, it is no big loss. I really just want what to keep what I have and get the 2 channels I lost back. If I can also upgrade my antenna a bit (without spending g hundreds) and get better reception and/or a few more channels, that would be great. But as long as I can get the channels back that I lost, I will be happy. Thank you for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200604_114719.jpg (92.8 KB, 722 views)
Old 5-Jun-2020, 2:18 AM   #6
Tim

I think the Winegard HD7694P antenna that OTAFAN recommended would be excellent for your location. It would be a step up from the RCA ANT751 that you currently have. All of your stations in Knoxville are Hi-VHF or UHF so the Winegard HD7694P would be appropriate.

You should be able to receive all the channels you were getting and might even get better reception of those last two channels on your list.
Old 5-Jun-2020, 9:40 AM   #7
agios11

Thank you for your help. I will be ordering the HD7694P today. I do think it will be the best choice for me!