TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-Aug-2019, 4:19 PM   #1
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Is there a better choice???

Hi all.
I currently have an XTreme Signal 8 bay bow tie antenna mounted at I'd say about 30'.

Now, we live in the north end of Stratford, CT in a big "hole". To get to our area you need to come down large hills in just about all directions.

We get around 40ish channels depending on conditions. Many of them are things we don't watch. It'd be a homerun if we were able to get any CBS and FOX affiliates in our area. Actually, the local ABC affiliate (WTNH) pixelates quite badly at times also.

I've been thinking about getting rid of Optimum altogether and switching out the XTreme signal and putting up either an HD Stacker or one of Danny Hodges Ultimate antennas. Could anyone please let me know their thoughts on these antennas and if either would give me a better shot of getting the stations I mentioned?

Thank you for any insight you can offer!!
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 6:33 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharnick View Post
I've been thinking about getting rid of Optimum altogether and switching out the XTreme signal and putting up either an HD Stacker or one of Danny Hodges Ultimate antennas. Could anyone please let me know their thoughts on these antennas and if either would give me a better shot of getting the stations I mentioned?
Hello, ssharnick; welcome to the forum.

Please post a TVFool report, using exact address (which will not show), so that we can see what the signals look like at your location.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

What is Optimum?
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 7:06 PM   #3
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038295354f982
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 7:11 PM   #4
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Also, Optimum is our cable provider.
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 7:22 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,544
Thank you for the report. WTNH ABC is on real channel 10, which is a VHF-High channel. Your antenna is primarily designed for UHF, so it doesn't perform well on WTNH.

The TVFool reports have a few errors because of a defective database. I'll try another type of report and post it soon.
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 7:26 PM   #6
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
A long while back I was looking into the HD Stacker antenna and Denny from Denny's Antenna said I'd get all the Connecticut stations with that antenna along with a booster. In your opinion would that be the case??
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 7:41 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,544
This is an image of your report:



This is a link to a report by rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...&study_id=6125



Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharnick View Post
Could anyone please let me know their thoughts on these antennas and if either would give me a better shot of getting the stations I mentioned?
You can use the Stacker for UHF and VHF or you can add a VHF antenna to your present UHF antenna and combine the two with a UVSJ UHF-VHF Separator-Joiner.
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/...vhf/dp/48Y8141

https://store.antennasdirect.com/antenna-combiner.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFreport8-25-2019.JPG (202.7 KB, 933 views)
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFreportRE_1.jpg (241.0 KB, 925 views)
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 25-Aug-2019 at 8:01 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 8:07 PM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharnick View Post
Now, we live in the north end of Stratford, CT in a big "hole". To get to our area you need to come down large hills in just about all directions.
If you click on the Transmitter Distances in the rabbitears.info report, you will see terrain profiles that show you are indeed in a hole, which makes reception more difficult.



WVIT NBC:



WFSB will be more difficult:



Using other software for the WFSB terrain profile:



This is the WFSB Longley-Rice coverage map for your area. Red is the weakest listed color; no color is weaker.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFp3WTNH.JPG (54.4 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFp3WVIT.JPG (60.1 KB, 738 views)
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFp3WFSB.JPG (62.4 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFcovWFSB36.JPG (180.2 KB, 733 views)
File Type: jpg ssharnickTVFp2WFSB36.JPG (113.5 KB, 688 views)
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 26-Aug-2019 at 12:13 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 8:14 PM   #9
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
I apologize that I keep coming back!!

If I were to go to the Stacker, do you think an a pre-amp or amplifier along with a rotor would help receive more stations?

I don't mind spending a little if it'll help, but I'd rather not spend if it there's a snowball's chance in hell of getting additional stations.

Thanks for all of your help!!
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 8:22 PM   #10
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharnick View Post
I apologize that I keep coming back!!

If I were to go to the Stacker, do you think an a pre-amp or amplifier along with a rotor would help receive more stations?

I don't mind spending a little if it'll help, but I'd rather not spend if it there's a snowball's chance in hell of getting additional stations.

Thanks for all of your help!!
I suggest you aim your antenna at about 30 degrees true and be happy with what you get. More effort will not get you much more.

Try it without a preamp first on just one TV. How many TVs are you feeding?
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 8:31 PM   #11
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
3 or 4 TVs...but it would be 2 simultaneously max
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2019, 8:49 PM   #12
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S.E. VA
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssharnick View Post
3 or 4 TVs...but it would be 2 simultaneously max
It doesn't matter if they are off or on, the splitter loss stays the same.

If the signals are OK with one TV (with preamp if needed), add a 4-way splitter.
If the signals are then too weak, replace the splitter with a CM 3414 which is a distribution amp.

You have two strong local FM transmitters that might interfere with the reception of WTNH, but they are in a different direction.

http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/1...6/Radar-FM.png

Please be aware that trees will block TV signals, especially UHF.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html
scroll down to Trees and UHF
__________________
If you can not measure it, you can not improve it.
Lord Kelvin, 1883
http://www.megalithia.com/elect/aeri...ttpoorman.html

Last edited by rabbit73; 25-Aug-2019 at 11:09 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2019, 1:39 PM   #13
JoeAZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 378
I am using a different methodology to see what is possible for
your reception. I am unable to find any "hole" in North Stratford,
CT you speak of. Can you provide some street names within the
"hole?" That would be helpful in answering your questions.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2019, 4:16 PM   #14
Tower Guy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delmar, NY
Posts: 1,158
The stacker is a good antenna, but it is not optimum for you. Yes, you need to add VHF ability to your existing UHF antenna, but you need your VHF and UHF antennas aimed in different directions. Consider adding a ANT 751 to your existing antenna using a UVSJ. Aim the VHF at WTNH. You’d ignore the UHF ability if the ‘751. Then you can optimize the aiming of your UHF antenna for the other stations you want.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2019, 4:14 PM   #15
bobsgarage
Senior Member
 
bobsgarage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Beach Park IL
Posts: 184
Stellar Labs 30-2476

I agree with the group here that you don't need a UHF / VHF antenna combo which would rule out the Denny's Stacker.

Since you only need to enhance your VHF High, I recommend the Stellar labs 30 - 2476. It's a great antenna and has a lot of value. Not expensive and very durable. And I'd be willing to place a bet that it's VHF reception is better than the Denny's Stacker.

Get the UVSJ, combine them and see what you get. Another nice feature about the 30 - 2476 is that you can angle it and point it at the transmitter. You can get a lot of angle if you need it.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 8-Sep-2019 at 4:17 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2019, 6:00 PM   #16
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAZ View Post
I am using a different methodology to see what is possible for
your reception. I am unable to find any "hole" in North Stratford,
CT you speak of. Can you provide some street names within the
"hole?" That would be helpful in answering your questions.
The streets near me are Cutspring Road and Chapel Street
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2019, 6:05 PM   #17
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
The stacker is a good antenna, but it is not optimum for you. Yes, you need to add VHF ability to your existing UHF antenna, but you need your VHF and UHF antennas aimed in different directions. Consider adding a ANT 751 to your existing antenna using a UVSJ. Aim the VHF at WTNH. You’d ignore the UHF ability if the ‘751. Then you can optimize the aiming of your UHF antenna for the other stations you want.
Funny...I had had a 751 at one time but got very few stations with it...I'm assuming I did get WTNH, but can't remember. It's before I had any idea of different antennas for UHF and VHF. It's when I first started "playing" with going over to an antenna. Do you see any way I'll be able to pick up the CBS affiliate WFSB? At one time I actually picked up WCBS out of NY which is in the opposite direction of the antenna, but they raised some power lines up higher in the direction of NY and that did away with WCBS.
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2019, 6:50 PM   #18
JoeAZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 378
Greetings,
From the area of Cutspring Rd and Chapel St I show the
following at 50' AGL.

Callsign Chan Network Dist
(mi) Path NM
(dB)
WZME 42 (43.1) 8.9 LOS 64.5
WFTY-DT 23 Tel 25.4 LOS 54.9
WTNH-DT 10 (8.1) ABC 16.0 2Edge 40.3
WLNY-DT 47 (55.1) Ind 25.7 LOS 35.1
WCBS-TV 22 CBS 25.7 LOS 34.3
WCTX-DT 39 (59.1) MyN 16.0 2Edge 24.9
WEDY 41 13.3 2Edge 23.0
WTXX-LD -- 34 16.8 2Edge 13.9
W26CE 25 (26.1) 32.1 LOS 12.6
WABC-TV 7 ABC 58.5 2Edge 11.9
WJLP 3 (33.1) 55.6 2Edge 11.0
WVIT-DT 35 (30.1) NBC 35.7 2Edge 5.8
WPIX 11 (11.1) CW 58.6 2Edge 2.0
WXTV-DT 40 (41.1) Uni 55.9 2Edge 0.4
WTIC-TV 34 Fox 35.9 2Edge -0.5
WCBS-DT 33 (2.1) CBS 55.9 2Edge -0.5
WFSB -- 36 CBS 41.0 2Edge -0.8

There is a translator for WCBS currently on Rf 22 that you should
have no issue receiving. For starters, I would rotate your current
antenna toward the WCBS Long Island translator and see what you
get. If you get a decent signal, then you need to understand you
will need two antennas or a rotor to get all your stations. If you
do not get a decent signal, then I would try raising the antenna
above the tree line or about 50' AGL. If that works, then you know
you'll need to raise the antenna and will still need either two antennas
or a rotor. You will need to experiment with the height and location
of the antenna. Try avoid any nearby trees or obstacles which will
reduce your chances for success. When aiming, remember that
dead on to the transmitter doesn't always give the best reception.
Let us know how things work out.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Sep-2019, 7:35 PM   #19
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAZ View Post
Greetings,
From the area of Cutspring Rd and Chapel St I show the
following at 50' AGL.

Callsign Chan Network Dist
(mi) Path NM
(dB)
WZME 42 (43.1) 8.9 LOS 64.5
WFTY-DT 23 Tel 25.4 LOS 54.9
WTNH-DT 10 (8.1) ABC 16.0 2Edge 40.3
WLNY-DT 47 (55.1) Ind 25.7 LOS 35.1
WCBS-TV 22 CBS 25.7 LOS 34.3
WCTX-DT 39 (59.1) MyN 16.0 2Edge 24.9
WEDY 41 13.3 2Edge 23.0
WTXX-LD -- 34 16.8 2Edge 13.9
W26CE 25 (26.1) 32.1 LOS 12.6
WABC-TV 7 ABC 58.5 2Edge 11.9
WJLP 3 (33.1) 55.6 2Edge 11.0
WVIT-DT 35 (30.1) NBC 35.7 2Edge 5.8
WPIX 11 (11.1) CW 58.6 2Edge 2.0
WXTV-DT 40 (41.1) Uni 55.9 2Edge 0.4
WTIC-TV 34 Fox 35.9 2Edge -0.5
WCBS-DT 33 (2.1) CBS 55.9 2Edge -0.5
WFSB -- 36 CBS 41.0 2Edge -0.8

There is a translator for WCBS currently on Rf 22 that you should
have no issue receiving. For starters, I would rotate your current
antenna toward the WCBS Long Island translator and see what you
get. If you get a decent signal, then you need to understand you
will need two antennas or a rotor to get all your stations. If you
do not get a decent signal, then I would try raising the antenna
above the tree line or about 50' AGL. If that works, then you know
you'll need to raise the antenna and will still need either two antennas
or a rotor. You will need to experiment with the height and location
of the antenna. Try avoid any nearby trees or obstacles which will
reduce your chances for success. When aiming, remember that
dead on to the transmitter doesn't always give the best reception.
Let us know how things work out.
Thank you JoeAZ and everyone else!! I appreciate all of your input. Unfortunately I have a fear of gravity and will more than likely be hiring someone to do any modifications or additions. I will let you know what I wind up doing when I have it done. Thanks again!! The knowledge you all have blows my mind!!
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2019, 7:47 PM   #20
ssharnick
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 15
Is this what you're referring to when you said 751??
https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satel...gateway&sr=8-1
ssharnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT. The time now is 2:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © TV Fool, LLC