TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jan-2014, 2:20 PM   #1
Trainman9

New to the forum

New to the forum.

I just installed an RCA 751 antenna. Decided to put it in the attic and have only a 25 foot quad shielded coax cable connected directly to my HDTV. Getting all but my local PBS channel that broadcasts via VHF. The tower is in the same direction as the rest of the channels that I get, 42 in all, with some much further away. The strength of the signal appears to be low.

Any ideas? Also where is the signal meter that is mentioned in a number of posts?
Trainman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 5:10 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You don't have a signal strength problem, you have a signal quality problem.

Most likely, you've either got the antenna is what is a dead spot for that channel (move it), FM interference (install an FM filter), or electrical/electronic noise interference (much tougher).

Check your TV set's menus (and owner's manual). Look for anything related to diagnostics or antenna adjustments. Many sets do not include such a tool, so don't be surprised if yours doesn't.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 5:28 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Also, please post a link to your TVFool reception report. Thanks

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 5:55 PM   #4
Trainman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Also, please post a link to your TVFool reception report. Thanks
How do I do that?
Old 22-Jan-2014, 6:00 PM   #5
Trainman9

Comcast encrypts basic cable

Received notice that Comcast will begin encrypting our basic service beginning in February. They have been doing this in many of their markets. We upgraded both of our TV's to HDTV's with digital tuners and now they will be rendered useless unless we pay more money to get HD signals.

Hence, I went to OTA via an antenna.

I just wonder why the TV manufacturer's are not very upset with this move since they have to spend additional costs to install digital tuners in their sets?
Old 22-Jan-2014, 6:05 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Re. How do I do that?

Please read: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4

When generating a TV Fool report, my preferred method is to open the Interactive TV Maps tool. Leave the 'input method' set to the default, 'address'. Then, enter only the Postal Code, and then click the 'Map This' button.

At this point you should have a map displayed, with a movable cursor located at the center of the Postal Code that was entered. Use your mouse to drag the cursor to the exact location you're interested in. In the upper right corner of the map you can select view types, I find it helpful to use both.

At the bottom of the map, enter the antenna height. Please use the highest value that you can safely consider installing. If you aren't sure, then use 25'. FWIW, You can also find the LAT/LON coordinates of the cursor (in decimal form, not deg/min/sec).

Once the cursor location and the antenna height are set correctly, click on the 'Make Radar Plot' button located at the upper right corner of the map. The TV Fool report opens in a new tab or window. You can then copy the URL from the address bar of your browser, for posting to a thread.

I hope this helps, I just want to be sure we give you advise based on the actual conditions at your location.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2014 at 6:34 PM. Reason: added title
Old 22-Jan-2014, 6:22 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Re. Comcast encrypts basic cable

As long as people buy the product, it would seem to be a win for the manufacturer. It's no skin off their nose if the QAM tuner function is a complete waste... They just need to sell it at a profit, after that, their work is done.

I'm not a fan of any more regulation than the minimum needed for maintaining a civilized society... That said, I see the FCC mandate that all TVs equipped with a tuner, must include the capability of ATSC/8VSB reception as a net positive. As I recall, manufacturers were slow or even resistant to adding that capability to their early HD TV products.

Perhaps, the QAM function may be able to go away at some point. But there are many smaller CATV systems left at this point... I doubt the QAM/NTSC/ATSC capable tuners are about to go away.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2014 at 6:32 PM. Reason: added title
Old 22-Jan-2014, 7:12 PM   #8
Trainman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman9 View Post
How do I do that?
Link to the report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94407a85b957
Old 22-Jan-2014, 7:59 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:

I just wonder why the TV manufacturer's are not very upset with this move since they have to spend additional costs to install digital tuners in their sets?
Ask them how they feel about the requirement that they still include analog NTSC tuners in all US TV sets....

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 8:38 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Your report indicates that you have a significant bit of terrain between your location and the local towers. Click on the call sign of a given station to see the path profile...

I'd try moving the existing antenna outside the attic, so you have access to high quality signal.

This test is helpful even when we already know an amplifier should not be needed. It can help you assess the need for a change of antenna or it's location.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 22-Jan-2014 at 8:43 PM.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 12:50 AM   #11
teleview

+=>
-----
Install the ANT751 antenna Above The Peak Of The Roof in such as a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , in the directions of , South East and North.

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
Old 24-Jan-2014, 2:13 PM   #12
Trainman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-----
Install the ANT751 antenna Above The Peak Of The Roof in such as a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , in the directions of , South East and North.

Digital tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
At this point I am getting about 40 channels in digital with all the majors in HD. Just can't seem to get WHYY. They broadcast in VHF as does the local ABC station but the latter comes in fine.

If I begin to lose signal I will have the antenna installed outside and attach it to the chimney in the center of my roof. We live in a split level and the highest roof will have a clear view.
Old 24-Jan-2014, 4:44 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Reliable reception starts and often ends with the choice of antenna and it's location. The best antenna will fail if it's located where it can't receive a signal with adequate quality. There is more to quality than raw strength or quantity.

I'd rather drink a small glass of clean water than have barrels of polluted water.

Try changing the antenna location. You may need to have some patience mixed with persistence, but it's very likely you can find a location and aim point that provides better reception of the signals that you want.

Old 24-Jan-2014, 5:12 PM   #14
tonyp063

Quote:
At this point I am getting about 40 channels in digital with all the majors in HD. Just can't seem to get WHYY. They broadcast in VHF as does the local ABC station but the latter comes in fine.
That's probably because WHYY transmits in a directional pattern to the SE whereas WPVI is pretty much circular. Signal could be significantly weaker in strength and/or quality at your location.

See the radiation pattern map

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...&callsign=WHYY
tonyp063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jan-2014, 5:46 PM   #15
teleview

+=>
----
Barrels of polluted water = attic and aiming the antenna in to obstructions in the directions of reception.

Glass of clean water = antenna installed at a location that has the least amont to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception , including , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Jan-2014 at 7:10 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.