TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Sep-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
kanwisher

Question Completely new to the world of antennas, purchase/general advice

I'm looking for some help setting up a complete antenna setup with a good selection of channels.

I have never purchased cable in my new home, and haven't used an antenna either since my current one is damaged. I stream most of my media from the internet. With that said, I'm interested in possibly repairing my current antenna (SPORTS!), but if it has any cons at all, I would rather just purchase a better antenna. I'm really leaning towards just starting from scratch.

The cord on my antenna has broken off from the weather and I don't even know if all the parts are still functional (I know the rotating control is broken).

With that said I would like some feedback on a few things.

What antenna do you recommend for my TVFOOL REPORT?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae858ba5f725

What sort of cable/accessories do I need to buy since I don't want to use the current one?

Will the mounting bracket on my chimney be sufficient? If not, what do you recommend?
Mine is similar to this one (not my photo)

Do I need a pre-amp?

Do I need to/How do I weatherize my equipment to get a long life out of it?

I have a 70" Sharp LED Aquos tv, with an antenna port in the back if that's important

I'm pretty handy with most tech and construction, but I'm a young guy, so antennas are new to me, and I've got to save money where I can!

Thanks a bunch!
Price doesn't really matter that much as long as it's all under 300-400 bucks, but 100-200 is more reasonable

Last edited by kanwisher; 11-Sep-2013 at 12:28 PM.
kanwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
elmo

Howdy neighbor! I recognized some of those stations then realized you were in Gastonia. You've got some crazy strong signals there in your backyard. You won't have a problem getting those.

Don't get a pre-amp; you'll likely overload.

As for the antenna on the roof, I'm not sure of the model it may be, but it looks to be a full range VHF/UHF design. If it's physically in good shape, it should work for you. Your lowest VHF channel is 11 - WTVI, so VHF-Hi is all you need. But before I'd get a new antenna, I'd test out what I have on hand. Newer antenna's are nothing magic, despite the hype of some companies with their NASA scientist designs! Did you use that antenna before or was it there already? I'm wondering how much the rotor would be needed. Regardless, get a fresh install of coax RG-6 cable run up to it, because you need that even with a new antenna. I'd start out by aiming it east towards Charlotte. I'd leave the rotor out of the mix for now. Have the Sharp do an antenna scan and see what you get. If it comes in good, you may be able to clean up the installation a bit by removing the rotor assembly.

As for weather sealing, search for Coax Seal.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2013, 2:14 PM   #3
kanwisher

Thanks, small world

Do I need a connector between the cable and the antenna? It looks like it previously went through the rotor power box.

Have an antenna recommendation if I decide to buy one, and a preference to where you buy your cable. Not sure what VHF-hi means so I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for the reply
Old 11-Sep-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
teleview

install a ANT751 or Antenna Craft HBU11 antenna on the chimney mount.

_________

A antenna rotator Is Not required.

_________

Aim the ANT751 or HBU11 antenna at about 271 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Old School magnetic compass to aim the antenna.

_________

A antenna system amplifier Is Not required.

_________

Replace the old outside coax and connections with New.

Use RG-6 coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not old crimp type connectors.

Replace outside connections with New.

_________

For 1 Tv conneced use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

_________

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative effect on broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

The best pratice is to install a Tv antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The directions of reception at your location are , North West , East , South , South West.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.solidsignal.com.

http://www.amazon.com.

_________

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Sep-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 11-Sep-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
elmo

Take a close look at the chart at the bottom of your report. You will see the channels and the part of the spectrum where they exist - VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi and UHF. You'll see there's nothing that you can receive in VHF-Lo. So that means an antenna that's rated for channels 7+ would be all you need. For example, the Antennacraft HBU-22 or the ANT-751; neither claim to be optimized for VHF-Lo, and that's fine because that's not critical for your reception. If you didn't have any VHF to watch, you could just look at a UHF only design. So those two antennas above would be good candidates for your situation if you want to replace the current one.

As for the coax, as long as it says RG-6. Double shielded is typical. You can order it online or pick up at local retailers. If you know the length of the run, try to buy a single strand that's closest to that length.

And yes, for now, leave the rotor out of the mix. I am thinking you won't need it. And that's a good thing because they're not surfing friendly. I'd start by aiming east and if you get everything from the Gastonia towers, the Charlotte towers will come in fine too. If you wanted to put the rotor back in, a couple short strands would do the trick easily after the fact.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
kanwisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
install a ANT751 or Antenna Craft HBU11 antenna on the chimney mount
Would buying a more expensive/better model provide any worthwhile benefit? Can someone chime in based on my report?
Old 13-Sep-2013, 8:23 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisher View Post
Would buying a more expensive/better model provide any worthwhile benefit? Can someone chime in based on my report?
If you use a larger antenna it's very likely that it will be too directional for your application. Your TVFR indicates plenty of signal power in the air... You're not in need of a high gain antenna.

If you are going to connect only one TV, the antennas suggested by teleview will deliver plenty of signal power with no amplification needed. Additionally, the majority of the signals are LOS according to your TVFR. That means that they are not blocked by terrain, so you can expect higher quality signals with less chance of multipath interference... another reason to believe that a large directional antenna is not needed.

Yours is a case of 'less is more'.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2013, 9:09 PM   #8
teleview

Using , New , coax , connectors , connections , and etc. , Is Important.

After all is set up and working.

To make double sure that weather/water does not get into outside , coax , connectors , connections , matching transformer (balun) , and etc. , wrap with http://www.coaxseal.com.

ALL , coax , connectors , connections , and etc. , through out the system is/are suspect of being bad.

To Prove reception , run a New continues length of coax from the matching transformer (balun) at the antenna , through a open door or window , direct to 1 Tv.

The signal strengths at your location will most likely provide pleanty of signal strength for a 2 or 3 way splitter.

Yes you can -Test- reception with a signal amplifier , use a Winegard , LNA-100 'Boost' amplifier.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Sep-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.