TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Porkchop2879

Unhappy Added a preamp now getting less channels

I have a DB4e up on my roof. I was getting 22 channels with a zero gain (powered) splitter that was left here by Rogers. All I wanted to do was boost my signal so I could pick up WUTV Fox. So I bought a Pre-amp and passive splitter. I connected everything and now I only get 9 channels.

The only thing I can think of is that up at the antenna, a short cable from the antenna to the pre-amp is now cutting across the front of a section of the antenna. Might this be the problem?

Porkchop2879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 3:55 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Most likely,

1) You installed the splitter between the preamp and its power inserter, turning the amp into an attenuator.
or
2) Your signals are already strong and the preamp or the tuner is overloading.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Porkchop2879

So WUTV is unattainable

I tried the preamp solution to try and pick up WUTV FOX. Before the preamp I was getting 22 channels, everything I wanted except FOX. The Preamp and passive splitter is set up correctly. So I guess there is not way to get FOX?

So, the cable cutting across the front of the antenna isn't the problem?
Old 28-Sep-2014, 1:52 PM   #4
StephanieS

Hi Porkchop,

A TVfool map of your reception situation would be helpful to see the signal strengths you are working with.

When you say "boost" are you expecting the preamp to improve your reception? If so, that's not what they do. They help overcome losses in long runs of coax to help keep signals from degrading via splitting etc.

Does your TV tuner, minus the preamp, even register any signal for WUTV?

My hunch is your strong Toronto locals are overloading your preamp. Buffalo often requires a stronger UHF antenna for the Toronto area. You might play with location the antenna is mounting and move it in small increments. Sometimes a matter of inches gets you out of a signal deadspot.

But this is all a shot in the dark without looking at your TV fool radar plot.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 2:06 PM   #5
Porkchop2879

Talking Weird

Before: DB4e with Rogers Powered zero gain, zero loss splitter = three t.v.s all getting same number of channels...around 22. (none with WUTV Fox)

Tried preamp.. with passive splitter (all connected correctly) = 9 channels on all t.v.s

Final Config: no preamp, passive splitter = all t.v.s getting different amount of channels. Family room t.v. the most channels...I even get ION and ION life and FOX(fox is a bit chirpy now and then, but ION is rock solid). Other t.v.s now getting a variety of channels. The Hot tub t.v. now doesn't get WIVB channel 4.

I am thinking the length of cable to each house t.v. is now the issue as to why each t.v. is getting different channels?

Anyway, I am quite happy with the current situation. I appreciate everyones input.

Thanks.
Old 28-Sep-2014, 2:10 PM   #6
Ben Myers
KD3WB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop2879 View Post
I have a DB4e up on my roof. I was getting 22 channels with a zero gain (powered) splitter that was left here by Rogers. All I wanted to do was boost my signal so I could pick up WUTV Fox. So I bought a Pre-amp and passive splitter. I connected everything and now I only get 9 channels.
Restore the original configuration and see if the channels return. If they do, try raising or lowering the antenna and see if Fox comes in. Also, make sure the antenna is aimed properly.

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is that up at the antenna, a short cable from the antenna to the pre-amp is now cutting across the front of a section of the antenna. Might this be the problem?

Reroute the cable so it isn't blocking the signal. Also, as mentioned by another poster, not all splitters will pass the DC voltage needed to power a preamp and many of those that do will also pass it to the other device or devices to which the splitter is connected.
Ben Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 5:07 PM   #7
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Porkchop2879 has a previous thread:
I lose FOX when I split the signal
http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop2879 View Post
I live at Derry rd. and Winston Churchill in Mississauga, Ontario. I have a DB4e, up about 30 feet, which clears the roof line of all the neighboring houses. The run to the splitter is around 40 feet, and then it runs through the house (no idea about the distance from the splitter to the other t.v.s.)
With this set up, I get 22 channels on 3 t.v.s throughout my house using a "left behind Rogers" powered splitter. The splitter says it is zero gain and zero loss. I am extremely happy with how the entire install has gone.

My problem is that with the splitter in the line, I lose WUTV - Fox. If the run goes directly to just one t.v. I get Fox. What can I try to get Fox when the splitter is introduced?

Thanks.
his tvfool report for Derry Rd and Winston Churchill at 20 ft:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243e2dc755aa7
at 30 ft:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243b220746a80

adjacent channel interference from CH15?
What happens when you aim your antenna directly at FOX, 142 degrees magnetic?
Quote:
My problem is that with the splitter in the line, I lose WUTV - Fox. If the run goes directly to just one t.v. I get Fox. What can I try to get Fox when the splitter is introduced?
Replace Rogers zero-gain splitter with a Channel Master 3412 distribution amp. You just need a little more gain in your distribution system.
Quote:
I am thinking the length of cable to each house t.v. is now the issue as to why each t.v. is getting different channels?
I agree. Also, different TVs have different tuner sensitivity.

Connect the TV with the longest coax run to one output of the CM3412. Connect a 2-way passive splitter to the other output of the CM3412 to feed the other 2 TVs that have shorter coax runs.

No preamp at the antenna for this test.

For 4 TVs, use a CM3414 and no passive splitter. However, it has less gain than the 3412 with 2-way splitter as above for the longest run; 8 dB VS 11.5 dB.

Please let us know how it works out. Don't start a new thread, use this one. It confuses us when you start a new thread for the same topic.

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Sep-2014 at 9:40 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote