TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Jul-2012, 7:19 PM   #21
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic7603 View Post
Ok, update. Happened to find a 2 way splitter with power pass through on both ports. Hooked it up and went from getting full channels downstairs and nothing upstairs to full downstairs and a few(not nearly enough) upstairs. That being said the power injector is downstairs and not upstairs, does that make a difference? Would it work better or worse to have the 2 way splitter with single power pass through? I'm just wondering if it's not injecting the power back upstairs or something. I'm at a loss here now and want to get this done as soon and frankly as economically as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic7603 View Post
If I need to get a new splitter I was thinking maybe this one?

http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-SPLIT2...ter+power+pass

Yes/No?
You seem to be passing power to the amplifier... good, or I'd expect virtually no reception at all. But, depending on the design, putting DC power into a TV tuner may saturate the core of an input transformer, making it fail to pass much signal. (Don't use a splitter that allows DC power to back-feed into the tuner... ie. use a splitter with power pass on only one port.)

The splitter from Amazon will work just fine. It has more bandwidth than you need, but the price is very competitive (I would avoid satellite grade splitters only if they cost more than OTA/CATV grade.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2012, 7:44 PM   #22
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

The talk of , up stairs , down stairs , up stairs , up stairs , down stairs.

Has me thinking that splitters are being chained one after the other.

Chain connecting splitters will reduce signal strength and be the cause of other problems.

The best way to distribute signal is with a splitter that has the number of output s that goes to the number of Tv locations.

2 Tv's connected use a 2 way splitter.

3 Tv's connected use a 3 way splitter.

4 Tv,s connected use a 4 way splitter.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2012, 8:54 PM   #23
medic7603

There is no chaining of splitters. None.
Antenna, cable, splitter(to 2 cords(one up, one down)), power injector on one cable that is going to be connected to the power pass through port back to the antenna to power its internal preamp.

The plan is and always has been one and only one splitter. I just want to leave it outside because my house doesn't need any more holes.
medic7603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jul-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Electron

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

Coax cables inside and outside walls and etc. can be bad.

An easy way to find out is to use a long length of known to be good coax and jump around coax.

Look inside the connector on the end of coax , where the center wire is , If the foil shield / shied wires are pushed in toward the center conductor wire or wrapped around the center conductor wire , this is a signal short out.

Remove any shied wires that are wrapped around or touching or close to the center conductor wire.

Push the outer foil shield away from the center conductor wire.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jul-2012, 4:59 AM   #25
medic7603

Ok. So I got home tonight and the splitter was here. Hooked it up outside and came back in, rescanned and have fewer channels than I did with the mohu I had in my window, but not by much. This is considerably less than I get with the TV downstairs also connected to the winegard rooftop antenna. Why do I get such incredibly different channels on two different tvs? Could it be the coax going into my wall is just bad? Or could it be because the power injector powering the preamp in the antenna is connected to the coax downstairs and the upstairs suffers as a result? And yes, I made sure the downstairs(powered) coax is connected to the power through side of the splitter. Thoughts? If it's the coax I can look at that tomorrow I guess.
Old 18-Jul-2012, 5:08 AM   #26
medic7603

I also still have to get the antenna up higher but I can't get WOOD, WZZM, or WWMT on the upstairs TV and I can get WOOD and WZZM downstairs(with power injector downstairs) and sometimes WWMT, but not often(assuming more height needed). Thoughts? Thanks.