TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2011, 2:27 AM   #1
jmfsms

Which Amplified Splitter to Buy

I currently run this setup and get all channels I want except channel 8.1 (and some others due to my crappy new LG tv but we won't go into that)

tvfoolreport: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...597996507fd0e5

antenna type: clearstream4
preamp: channelmaster 7778
amp: philips sws2085w/27 12db amp

I added the amp with a two way splitter (no name brand) and run two tv's that are less than ten feet apart with no real problems.

Now I changed to a 4 way splitter (no name brand 900mhz) to run to 4 additional rooms that range from approximately 30 to 125 feet away. Each room already has RG6 ran to it so plugging each into the splitter for testing is easy. However, it seems that all tv's are suffering some type of signal loss.

Bringing me to my long winded question I would like to purchase the best recommended amplified 8 way splitter (2 extra connections to add hd homerun), but I am also open to any criticism to my barking up the wrong tree.

I've already had help with a previous thread and would like to say thanks to ADTech, GroundUrMast (if I get a Wade / Taco PB-82-BB it's yours), and No static at all ---- for all their help -----
jmfsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2011, 2:40 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The link to your report is broken....

Rule of thumb: One amplifier can be too many... two amplifiers will be too many.

Once we see your report we can offer our opinion about 0 vs. 1.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2011, 2:45 AM   #3
jmfsms

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...73ed96507fd0e5

Sorry about that...
Old 14-Mar-2011, 3:01 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

A couple of options:

(1) No preamp. One PCT-MA2-8P distribution amplifier / splitter. Terminate unused ports.

(2) One high input preamp such as the Winegard HDP-269 or Antennacraft 10G201 followed by passive splits to accommodate the number of connected tuners.

Old 14-Mar-2011, 8:50 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Ch-8 wgtv

The Clear Stream 4 is primarily a UHF antenna.

If you want to receive WGTV, you need a VHF antenna and it needs to deal with the problem of adjacent channel interference from CH-7 WCIQ.

A Winegard YA-1713 or Antennacraft Y-10713 aimed at 80° mag. should give you the needed increase in WGTV signal while reducing the relative strength of WCIQ. (This would still allow for reception of WCIQ).

A passive UVSJ would allow you to combine the UHF and VHF signals into a common down-lead.

Old 13-Apr-2011, 7:16 PM   #6
jmfsms

PCT-MA2-8P Amplifier Problem

My TvFool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17f55aae50ea

Antenna: Clearstream 4
Pre-Amp: Winegard AP-8275

This setup gives me 71 Channels including (subchannels), if I plug in the amplifier I only get 11 channels. If I unplug it and plug in an unamplified three way splitter I get 61 channels.

Am I plugging it in wrong? I run RG6 from power (unplugged) to amplifer. I screw in the first three RG6 connections I have run to three tvs. I then run RG6 from the pre-amp to the antenna in on the amplifier. Finally, I plug in the power and the green light comes on. When I do a channel search on the tv I only get 11 channels.

Any ideas? I don't have terminators on the open connections yet as I have to purchase them and the unit has a screw for a ground wire but I have not grounded it yet.

Thanks for any help, -jmfsms
Old 13-Apr-2011, 7:41 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

Go back to @GroundUrMast's posts. He recommended using either the preamp or the amplified splitter, not both. Two amplifiers are too much. You will have to completely bypass the preamp (don't just simply leave it unpowered) to check out the new splitter.

Last edited by Dave Loudin; 13-Apr-2011 at 7:44 PM.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 7:50 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Rule of thumb: One amplifier can be too many... two amplifiers will be too many.
Some more information about amplifiers

Old 13-Apr-2011, 10:09 PM   #9
jmfsms

Perhaps a Stronger Antenna

I am unsure how to proceed, when I start splitting the antenna to multiple tv's (I would like seven tv's total) I start losing channels. I've only added two tv's on a three way splitter and already I've dropped 10 channels (including subchannels). Would you recommend dropping the clearstream 4 antenna and replacing it with something else?

I have already replaced a channelmaster 7778 pre-amp with a Winegard AP-8275 and got better signal quality. My setup also seems to work better with the pre-amp than with removing the pre-amp and just running the amp so I guess I'll stick with that.

Thanks for any input, and especially thank you to Dave Loudin and GroundUrMast (who I'll try to pay more attention to in the future) for their quick response, -jmfsms
Old 13-Apr-2011, 10:26 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
I am unsure how to proceed, when I start splitting the antenna to multiple tv's (I would like seven tv's total) I start losing channels. I've only added two tv's on a three way splitter and already I've dropped 10 channels (including subchannels). Would you recommend dropping the clearstream 4 antenna and replacing it with something else?
The next logical step is to remove the preamp and power insertion block. Then, let's see how things perform when the antenna is directly connected to the input of the PCT-MA2-8P. Unused ports should be terminated with 75 ohm F-terminators.

Also, be on the lookout for connections going open. (Loose shield connections or wire not gripped by the F-connector it makes up to.)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 13-Apr-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 13-Apr-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfsms View Post
Antenna: Clearstream 4
Pre-Amp: Winegard AP-8275

This setup gives me 71 Channels including (subchannels), if I plug in the amplifier I only get 11 channels. If I unplug it and plug in an unamplified three way splitter I get 61 channels.
The antenna is not designed for reception of VHF channel 10, WXIA.
The signals at your house are too strong for an AP 8275.
Unplugging the preamp does not bypass it. You must climb on the roof and remove it from the circuit.

It's time to start over.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 13-Apr-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I agree with Tower Guy of his last post. It's time to start over. And unpluging things does not mean that it's bypased. If you unplug the radio in your house will you still get - some kind - of sound out of the speakers??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote