TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Aug-2010, 8:18 PM   #1
jkh

Antenna help please for Southern NH

Hi,

I want to install a TV antenna so I will be able to receive HD channels from the Boston and Manchester NH areas.

This is my TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbec94cbbc237

There are some trees mostly surrounding the east side of my property. I will run a 50’+ coax cable from antenna to a splitter and then use the existing wiring in my house for 2 TV sets.

I am thinking about mounting the 10’ antenna mast on a corner of my house that faces south. Currently a satellite dish is installed there and sits about 15’ above the ground.

Could someone please help me with the type of antenna/preamp or maybe a rotor I will need to buy, as well as any other mounting kits and/or installation suggestions?

Thank you.
jkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
baud

Winegard HD7694P will most likely do with a CM9521 rotor.

I don't think you need an amp unless your planing on more than two tvs.
baud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 6:12 PM   #3
mtownsend

Most of your channels are coming from the south, but there are a few coming from other directions. If you only need the channels from the south, then you can keep your antenna setup very simple (one antenna pointed south with no rotator). If you are interested in picking up the station in other directions too, then you should consider using an antenna rotator as suggested by baud.

BTW, your signal analysis says that it was only resolved to "street level", meaning that the address lookup did not match your exact address. This means that the location used for the signal analysis might not be that close to your true location. Since your posted report shows "1Edge" (some terrain blockage) on lots of channels, it is recommended that you re-run the analysis using your exact location to make sure the signal strengths are not significantly different than the ones being reported here.

To get a more accurate signal analysis, you can use the Interactive Maps tool. After entering your address, it will show a map of your area. If the address lookup is far away from your house, you can drag-and-drop the marker to change the location being analyzed. You can also switch the map to "satellite" view to see aerial photos of the area.

The Interactive Maps also allow you to play with antenna height. If you edit the antenna height value, the signal strengths listed below the map are automatically recalculated.

When you are satisfied with the marker placement and antenna height, you can click on the "Make Radar Plot" button to generate a new report URL that you can post back here.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 8:00 PM   #4
jkh

Thanks for the advice. I redid the map as you suggested and here is the new URL link.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbebf0a75c6bd
jkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
mtownsend

Thanks for the updated report. Things did not change much, so the earlier recommendations should be good.

A Winegard HD7695P (one size larger than the HD7694P) pointed south should give you most of the channels in that direction. The higher gain antenna means you can probably forgo the need for any pre-amp.

If you care about any of the channels to the north or north-west, then you'll need to add an antenna rotator.

If your cable runs are going to be very long (like more than 50 feet) or if you will be splitting the signal to multiple devices, then you should consider adding a pre-amp to maintain optimum reception of channels down into the "red" zone on your list.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote