TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Dec-2015, 12:39 AM   #1
jnd

looking forward to antenna TV

Hello,

We currently have seven TV’s hooked up to cable, could cut this down to 4 if that’s helpful.

All TV’s have “home runs” from an eight way splitter in the garage. Attic mount would be preferred, but roof mounted is acceptable if needed.

So, what equipment would you suggest? And what results (channels) do you think I could get?

TV signal analysis report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b97d5d76c96ede

Thanks for your help, -jd
jnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2015, 7:08 PM   #2
jnd

So, being a bit impatient I went ahead and ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L76BJS..._8lEywb7SMWTYM
I'm thinking I'll swap one TV at a time and see how it goes. If I get channels 4,5,7 and 13 I'll deem phase one successful and add another TV.

So, on a scale of 1 to 10 what are my chances of success?

Thanks,-jnd
Old 4-Dec-2015, 8:01 PM   #3
tomfoolery

With such a high NM for most stations, I think the chances are pretty good, at least for the first 6 channels in the list. The attic is not a good location, and the rest of them in green may have some difficulty. But rather than getting a higher gain antenna now that you've ordered one, my first move after trying it in the attic would be to move it to a J-pole or other outdoor mount, with the clearest line to the transmitters I could manage. But with an 8-way splitter, you'll lose something like 11 or 12 dB so trying one TV without the splitter is a smart move, until you can determine if the antenna and location will work. An amp is likely to be a necessity with that splitter, though, and that's assuming it's just a passive splitter.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2015, 9:13 PM   #4
jnd

Thanks for the reply, I'm encouraged already
The first TV is in the garage, used only for smoking cigars when it's to cold outside. It's also one of the TV's I'll loose if I need to cut back (on TV's, not cigars) Question: should I be aiming (if aiming is needed for the antenna I ordered) NNE towards KOMO, KING and KIRO or to the further away KCPQ that's to the EAST

Thanks again, -jnd
Old 4-Dec-2015, 11:06 PM   #5
tomfoolery

I think you'll just have to try it. In the attic it's going to be tough going anyway for some stations, and not just because they're farther away. And I doubt that antenna has much if any gain anyway, so the front lobe is going to be rather wide. Aim it between the two main sources and see what you get.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote