TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Mar-2011, 9:41 PM   #1
bob

help with antenna selection-Northern Colorado

I believe I should be able to get a number of Denver OTA broadcast channels from my location but I'm not sure what type of antenna I should install. I'm primarily intestested in the major networks and the PBS channels offered in Denver. My TV fool report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c77a3e14b960a1

I'm terminating service from Dish Network and I don't think their yard mast will be of any use to me. I plan to install an outdoor antenna in my attic with a short (15') drop to a single HDTV. I estimate the antenna would be about 15' off ground level as well. My house siding is wood composite lap siding and my shingles are asphalt construction. While I don't have any nearby trees, my neighbor's home (single story) may block some signal for me. I know I should consider a roof mounted antenna but there aren't any of those in my neighborhood and I have to respect that.

I'd certainly appreciate any advice you can give me and I'm grateful that this site is there to help folks like me. Bob
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

An RCA ANT-751 in your attic will probably do well. Worst case, it lends itself to wall mounting - providing a non intrusive installation.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Esteban

WOW ! I don't blame you for dropping the Dish. I wish I had so many channels available ! Good luck !!
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2011, 1:28 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I know I should consider a roof mounted antenna but there aren't any of those in my neighborhood and I have to respect that.
Sorry Bob, your neighbors deserve no such consideration.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Mar-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
bob

Antenna selection

Thanks for your replies. I've settled on a large array antenna since an attic installation degrades the signal so much. Cheers!
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Dave Loudin

Which one? Even with knocking off 20 dB from the noise margins, you still have plenty of signal. GUM's suggestion is a smallish antenna. If you want more gain, I'd not bother with anything larger than a Winegard Hd7694p or an AntennaCraft HBU-33.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
John Candle

Television reception.

Here is the Federal Law that says Yes You Can install Tv antennas and other antennas. This had to be a Federal Law that overrides every one and every thing else . This is Settled Law. This law had to be because of the antenna haters on this planet. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by John Candle; 8-Mar-2011 at 7:32 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
John Candle

Television reception.

I have much stronger words about the neighbors. The truth is that some people are antenna haters. The truth is they are nuts. Think about it , antennas are aluminum and plastic and they hate aluminum and plastic. Do they hate the air conditioner that is on the roof ?? Do they hate the vent pipes that stick out of the roof ?? Do they hate the chimney ??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote