TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Aug-2013, 4:13 PM   #1
TWBoycott

Noob needs advice

Here is my TVFR:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2ff1c1de24

I've been trying to use an antenna to receive specifically KCBS in Los Angeles as a result of the blackout of that channel by the cable provider. I started with a ClearStream CV2, mounted on the back of my house aimed at Mount Wilson (location of the KCBS tower) via compass setting of 320. Interestingly, I got NONE of the VHF/UHF channels from Mount Wilson (only 23 miles), but I did get in five San Diego channels (KFMB and a subchannel 8.1/8.2, and KGTV with two subchannels 10.1 to 10.3, both around 83 miles away!). I also tuned in KVMD and ten subchannels (31.1 to 31.11). Since I had the antenna pointed 180 degrees away from the San Diego tower, and 90 degrees away from the KVMD tower (about 45 miles away), I was surprised.

After doing some research here at TVFool, I figured I was using too low gain an antenna, so opted to replace it with a Sonic Signal HDB8X. The results were basically the same, except that I lost the three 10.1 to 10.3 channels.

I then added a Channel Master "Titan 2" CM-7777 preamp, which resulted in a stronger signal and more stable picture, but ultimately, still only the two San Diego channels (8.1-8.2) and again the KVMD channels (31.1 -31.11).

With all of this, my reception of the San Diego channels is spotty at best, with sometimes a perfect clear and stable picture, other times badly pixelated, or no signal at all for hours at a time. Oddly, the 11 channels associated with KVMD come in no matter what direction I point the antenna. I've tried three separate antenna locations that are available to me at my house, all between 22 and 25 high.

Unfortunately, my house is located less than a quarter mile directly behind a row of low hills between me and the Mount Wilson towers, so even though all around me gets a strong signal, I'm in a small sliver of area that gets marginal signal at best. Also, to make matters worse, I have a number of rather tall leafy trees along the north edge of my property that I'm sure create unwanted interference. Nevertheless, the VHF signals are all fairly strong based on my TVFR, so I'm surprised that even with an "extreme range" antenna and preamp, I still get none of the VHF channels at all.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? How is it possible that the only channels I get are extreme fringe channels in the "grey" part of the TVFR table, but none of ones in the yellow and pink parts of the table? Since I'm directly behind a row of hills, with trees also adding interference, should I be trying a stronger more directed antenna such as the 91XG or the HBU44, both of which seem to be recommended quite often on these forums? Is my situation just a lost cause?
TWBoycott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2013, 8:41 PM   #2
teleview

As a Test of reception install a Channel Master CM4228HD antenna aimed at about 319 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.

It can help to bend the mast pipe so that the CM4228HD antenna is 'looking' at the top of the mountain ridge the direction of Mt. Wilson.

Install a Winegard , LNA-200 'Boost' XT amplifier.

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - thaqt are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

Last edited by teleview; 20-Aug-2013 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.