TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-May-2014, 6:55 PM   #1
isufan

Need help with channel 5.1

Just installed new antenna and preamp all that was recommended here awhile back. I get all of the channels except channel 5.1 which is ABC. Installed large directional antenna with a wineguard xp booster 15 feet off the ground.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c678ab05ae36

Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance
isufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
isufan

5.1 comes in just pixelated really bad.
Old 17-May-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
Jake V

Your original post is here for the experts to consult:

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.p...ghlight=isufan

Looks like you have a Winegard 7084p antenna mounted at about 25 feet, at about 144 degree magnetic compass direction and a Winegard LNA-200 'Boost' XT amplifier.

1) Have you checked all connections to make sure they are solid?

2) What happens when you run a line directly from the antenna right to one TV as a test? [Without and then then with the amplifier.]

4) How sure are you that you are correctly aimed at 144 degrees magnetic? Have you tried slightly different aims?

5) Is there Light of Sight in the direction of 144 degrees?
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-May-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
teleview

+=>

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing all Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to Install the Antenna at a Location that has the Least Amount to No Amount of Obstructions of Any Type or Kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.

--------

The first radar report you posted shows a antenna height of , 30 feet above ground.

WOI-DT , Real VHF low band channel 5 , is showing a signal strength of , 24.6 NM(dB) , LOS=Line Of Sight , and 55.8 miles distant.

This is better signal strength then the lower antenna height reports you have posted.

Is the antenna at the 30 feet antenna height above ground now??

--------

Recommend install the HD7084P antenna at least 30 feet above ground.

Your original post has some ways to install the antenna higher.

Here are some more ways ,

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch , 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , makes good antenna mast.

--------

http://www.ronard.com/Tripods%200703/4712.html.

Install the , ronard(4712-50-10) , 10 foot tripod antenna mount.

--------

As a Test of reception , install the antenna Up High.

Disconnect and Remove All Parts of the preamplifier , disconnect and remove the preamp unit , disconnect and remove the power injector/power supply.

Connect a NEW Continues Length Of Coax to the antenna and run the coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No couplers , No splitters , No etc. .

--------

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

--------

How is reception now??

--------

Now install All parts of the preamp with the Test coax.

--------

How is reception now??
Old 18-May-2014, 1:22 AM   #5
isufan

I will try a direct line tomorrow. I have a current antenna that is 25 foot in the air that gets channel 5.1 just fine. The new antenna I bought and mounted about 15 feet in the air does not get channel 5.1 and if it does it is very pixelated. I hope it is not the height that is causing this issue.

I used an app on my phone to direct the antenna.

Line of sight is clear with no obstructions. Just weird it is one channel. Although after doing some searching seems like the lower channels are harder to bring in.
Old 18-May-2014, 2:18 AM   #6
teleview

+=>

So what is the make and model number of the antenna that is 25 feet in the air??

What is the make and model number of the antenna that is 15 feet above ground??

What happens when the antenna that is 15 feet above ground is installed 25 feet above ground??

Yes the VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 are subject to a greater degree of natural and human made interference and requires extra care to receive reliably.

Trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building interfer with low band reception.

And Yes is important the have the antenna clear of obstructions that interfer with reception.

Higher is better for reliable reception.

When Testing any antenna it is best to install a New Continues Length of Coax and run the coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

No couplers , No splitters , No etc. .

Last edited by teleview; 18-May-2014 at 5:12 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 18-May-2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isufan View Post
I get all of the channels except channel 5.1 which is ABC. Installed large directional antenna with a wineguard xp booster 15 feet off the ground.

Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in advance
I'd be thinking electrical interference. Electrical interference is more prevalent on low band VHF than other channels.

It might be from your own equipment. Try turning off everything in the house except the TV and preamp and try again. If that fixes it, turn things on one at a time until you find the culprit. Sometimes it turns out to be something without a power switch, such as a doorbell transformer. I've also seen amplified FM antennas interfere with low band reception.

To search for electrical interference outside I tune my car radio to the lowest clear channel on the AM dial such as 530 KHz and listen for a loud buzzing. I'd drive up and down the street to hear where the buzzing is loudest. If it's near a power pole, call the power company and ask them fix it. Sometimes that means changing all the hardware on that pole.

Last edited by Tower Guy; 18-May-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-May-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by isufan View Post
I used an app on my phone to direct the antenna.
From experience, that may be not so good. I've taken the same bearing 20 times and come up with different results most of the time. A magnetic compass, away from ferrous metals like the antenna pole, is going to give you a better (or at least, more repeatable) result. But compass bearing is just a starting point - try rotating the antenna a little at a time and see if 5.1 improves, without sacrificing other channels. With a little patience, you may be able to home in on strong enough reception on that channel while keeping the others.

That's in concert with other suggestions regarding interference and height, of course.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-May-2014, 4:34 PM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I like to remind my newer associates that smartphone compass apps are usually only accurate to within 180°.

Use the online TVFool mapping tool in the Sat view mode (not the 45° version), place the virtual antenna in your installation location, then turn on the lines to transmitters. use the green lines to reference local notable landmarks like buildings, trees, intersections and the like. Then, when you get up on the roof, you have a visual landmark to use as a reference for aiming.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-May-2014, 7:08 PM   #10
teleview

+=>

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Do Not trust the compass program in devices such as and limited to cell phones and tablets.