TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 5-Dec-2013, 9:50 PM   #1
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

91XG with Y10-7-13 preferred setup?

I'm upgrading my antennas and will be combining these together, hopefully providing the best of both available signals.

How far apart should I keep them? My lowest physical channel is 8 on VHF. Therefore I need to stay at least half of that wave length below the 91XG? Math was less than 3', so I was thinking at least 42" or so. However, with other items on my tower, what is the max distance apart? I'm striving to get the 91XG as high as I can "reasonably" on the mast. I do not yet know if I will need a preamp. Weather has not allowed me to try the 91XG without the current amp. And I need to ensure that IF I have to go with a preamp, that I do not have leads over 6'?

Likewise as I gather parts for a warm day I see both the UVSJ being used to "combine" these signals into a common lead. Also Antennas Direct EU385CF-1s UHF / VHF TV Antenna Combiner is commonly recommended here. I am striving to limit noise as that seems to be the real enemy. I'm not inclined to go with the Radio Shack separate UHF/VHF inputs - at least yet. (Better to have 2 amps low noise amps and then combine?) Advantage/disadvantages to each methodology?

I presume the closer and inherently stronger VHF signal will be stronger and the distant UHF will be much weaker. What if any issues may I face there with bringing these signals together?

Thanks,

Flint
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-2013, 2:10 AM   #2
WIRELESS ENGINEER

buy a vhf/uhf preamp with both vhf and uhf inputs and one output winegard used to make em
never been impressed with any Radio Shack preamps
Far less expensive to use ONE preamp results will be the same
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Dec-2013, 2:49 AM   #3
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

Dual inputs are very hard to find other than the Antennacraft model by Radio Shack.

10G222

Not coming up with a higher gain NOS Winegard.... yet
Old 13-Dec-2013, 1:57 PM   #4
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

There is the RCA by Audiovox TVPRAMP1R, I've found some positive reviews elsewhere regarding overload resistance from high power local stations in line with weak stations...

So we shall hopefully see next week if that is too good to be true.