TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Nov-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
aamitabh

How to catch 26.1 from Pleasanton in East-bat

Hello all,
I am quite interested in receiving KTSF (26.1) from Pleasanton quarter mile south east of downtown. I bought Antennas Direct DB8e and just experimented with pointing in the direction, but no luck. I have attache the TVFools image and the image of TV tower details. Any thoughts? Of course it is all red, but looking to experience of others.

Also since DB8e is only a UHF antenna what do I do for VHF channels?
I am essentially trying to get, through antenna, what Comcast basic cable was pumping.

Please advice. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-Digital.png (138.4 KB, 601 views)
File Type: png tower details.png (29.5 KB, 592 views)
aamitabh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Nov-2013, 1:50 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
---------
So that I can provide the correct recommendations and information.

Please make and post a Live and Active Tvfool report , not a 'picture' of a Tvfool report.

Also please make the antenna height above ground in the live and active Tvfool report , 25 feet above ground.

25 feet above ground is Reference Antenna Height that provides a good idea about what is receivable.

Do not delete the Tvfool report that is the picture of a Tvfool report.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Nov-2013 at 5:52 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 14-Nov-2013, 5:19 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Ensure that you have both panels of the DB8e aligned in parallel and aimed at Mt San Bruno. Add a capable, sensitive, medium gain pre-amplifier. Hunt for a mounting spot where you can catch your desired channel without loosing others.

Quote:
Also since DB8e is only a UHF antenna what do I do for VHF channels?
Add a high-VHF antenna.

KNTV is the only VHF-only station if SF. KGO runs a UHF 35 translator from your south which may or may not come in with the DB8e focused to the west.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2013, 4:31 PM   #4
aamitabh

Live link to report added

Hi telview, did not realize to add live link to the report, and did more work than necessary. Here it the link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aef8a06696ac

ADTech, what will be a good pre-amp to get. I have channelmaster cm-3412 for now, but I can return it and get a better recommendation.

Cheers.
Old 16-Nov-2013, 6:01 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

The terrain between your location and the San Fransisco transmitters is quite a challenge. Keep experimenting with antenna placement (including both high and low locations).

Consider the Antennacraft Y10713 for H-VHF.

I presume the CM-3412 is some distance from the antenna... An RCA TVPRAMP1R is designed to be exposed to the elements, so it can be mounted at the antennas where it can be most effective. The RCA preamp also has inputs for separate UHF and VHF antennas.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2013, 6:06 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
--------
Install the antenna above the peak of the roof in such a manner that the roof and building are not , obstructing , impeding , blocking , reception in the directions of , north west , west , south south east .

Aim the UHF at about 261 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

-----

To improve reception of the Tv stations to the , north west and south south east , turn the UHF antenna more to the , north west , with out loss of KTSF.
Old 16-Nov-2013, 8:16 PM   #7
aamitabh

No success with 26.1

Before I install it in the attic or the roof, I tried to mount the antenna to pool rod and raised the antenna to about 20 feet inside my bedroom. I get no signal on channel 27 (26.1). I only hit 14.1 and then it jumps to 36.1 which makes sense.

To test out a bit more I put the ChannelMaster cm-3412 preamp as well to no avail.
Do you think that I would see a huge difference between 20 feet height versus raise it to the rooftop (adding another 15 feet).

Feeling a bit discouraged right now.

Cheers.
Old 17-Nov-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Indoor mounting has very little chance of success.

I think your best chance for success will be outdoors... patience and persistence may be needed.

At UHF frequencies, a change of just 6 inches can produce significant results.

Old 17-Nov-2013, 4:21 AM   #9
teleview

>=+
-------
Test reception , connect a New continues length of coax to the DB8e antenna and run the New continues length of coax through a open door or window direct to 1 Tv.

The connections part of the DB8e , the transformer inside the box that connects the metal receiving elements of the antenna to the coax might be defective.

---------

Also , As Always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception in the directions of reception

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around

And buildings and other obstructions in the directions of reception including your own roof and house in the directions of reception.

The Best Practice is to install antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building in the directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 17-Nov-2013 at 5:07 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 17-Nov-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
StephanieS

GroundUrMast steers you true on this one.

KTSF is predicted to arrive at -1.0 db at your location. Your only chance at successful reception of the signal is outside, either on your roof or in another outdoor location.

It was said earlier in this thread and it bears repeating, the bay area in many places is awful for reception due to terrain. That is why AM radio (IE, KRFC 610, KCBS 740 and KGO 810) remained so dominant after FM radio had taken over: AM signals handled the terrain better.

Be patient, be persistent. If engineers of broadcast stations have been fighting the local terrain for years in your area, you know you aren't the first to be frustrated by those difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamitabh View Post
...raised the antenna to about 20 feet inside my bedroom. I get no signal on channel 27 (26.1).

Last edited by StephanieS; 17-Nov-2013 at 11:28 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 7:31 AM   #11
aamitabh

Outdoor antennas not allowed in my community

Okay,
I get the message. The same one I give to my kids, I need to practice myself. Thanks for the support.

I just found out that my HOA does not allow antennas on the roof-tops (still trying to argue with them). So my only option is attic for now. Today I raised the antenna all the way to the ceiling using a pool rod (about 20 feet). I then did a signal strength meter testing using Windows Media Center 7. 26.1 is only 2 bars of out 5 or 6. Which possibly means that if I could raise it a bit more I may have a chance. I am going to try the attic this week which will give me another 10 feet.

On that note, is there a recommended antenna that has better sensitivity than DB8e? Bigger?? I don't mind paying more for the setup if that helps. I would recover the cost in 2-3 years.

I am also going to buy GroundUrMast's recommendation of the RCA pre-amp, and buy a better coax cable. Any recommendations?

Also, can I just plug the cable from the antenna into any Coax outlet, and expect to have the signal in another room? Or do I have to feed the antenna cable into the junction box where Comcast comes in? Sorry! If this is a stupid question.

Cheers.
Old 18-Nov-2013, 7:54 AM   #12
StephanieS

You've come to right place making this point. This point will be responded to by those in the particular know which, in essence, say HOA is bunk. FCC law trumps HOA.

More details will be posted by those who know how and what to say to get around those rules.

Quote:
Okay,

I just found out that my HOA does not allow antennas on the roof-tops (still trying to argue with them).
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 9:49 AM   #13
Stereocraig

Quote:
Okay,
I get the message. The same one I give to my kids, I need to practice myself. Thanks for the support.

I just found out that my HOA does not allow antennas on the roof-tops (still trying to argue with them).

Save yourself some stress.
There is nothing that you need to argue about.
You are in the right and the burden of proof, is on them.
They already know that they are in the wrong and are just hoping and praying, that you don't.

Put up the antenna and be done w/ it.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/installing...tellite-dishes

Last edited by Stereocraig; 18-Nov-2013 at 9:58 AM. Reason: add to statement.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 1:12 PM   #14
tomfoolery

According to many sources from my own research on this subject, many HOAs have these rules on their books, but they were rendered invalid and unenforceable for the most part by the Telecommunications Act of 1996, or subsequent additions to it. The burden, both of proof and of cost, is on the HOA, and it's a battle they won't win.

It's a first amendment thing, which is serious business. If it were me, I'd put the antenna up. If they gave me some stick about it, then I'd inform them politely what the law says, and hand them the fact sheet. If they sent me something formally, I'd send them the required documentation via registered mail and let the games begin, but in the mean time, the antenna stays, as the FCC says it should while that is going on. But I'm just like that.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Nov-2013, 2:21 PM   #15
aamitabh

HOA & rights for outdoor antenna

That is great. I will cenrtainly talk to the HOA and maybe place the antenna in such a way that it will not change the beauty of the community.

I am still going to experiment the attic and see if the bars become from weak to something better. At least I will see a trend. But based on the feedback from you all, it ooks like I ave to jump to the outdoor location. Will try that too.

In the mean time, is my previous question still valid? Any large antenna? And feeding antenna signal to any COAX outloet for whole house distribution?

Cheers.
Old 18-Nov-2013, 3:32 PM   #16
GroundUrMast

Signal can flow either direction in coax cable... But signal from an antenna needs to arrive at the input side of any splitter or amplifier. This means that you can use any one piece of coax as you please, but you'll need to connect all accessories with the correct orientation.

Also, it's extremely important that the cable company connection be disconnected from any coax used for OTA signals. Even if you have not paid a bill to the cable company, it's possible they are feeding some signal into your house. If so, that signal will radiate into the air via your antenna if you get the two systems connected to each other. That will cause interference to licensed radio services such as police, fire & aviation.

Old 18-Nov-2013, 5:10 PM   #17
teleview

Here is the Federal Antenna Law that says Yes you can install a Broadcast Tv Reception Antenna that is of Any Size Above the Peak of the Roof so as to have Reliable Reception.
And Yes you can install the broadcast Tv antenna at location that avoids obstructions in the directions of reception so as to have reliable reception.

Hoa's and Housing Coven nuts and etc. are well aware of the Federal Antenna Law , and some are thinking you are not.

www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by teleview; 18-Nov-2013 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.