TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2012, 3:14 AM   #21
Dave Loudin

I am not very optimistic. Have you checked the path profiles for some of your stations? Click on an entry in the table to see. You're going to get maybe one channel with a lot of work and, perhaps, money.

Electron, I appreciate your optimism, but I'm personally familiar with the region.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 4:19 AM   #22
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

The repeater transmitters around the area are transmitting. The PBS station to the north east will likley be received with a Winegard Hd7696P antenna with a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp pointed at about 48 degree magnetic compass. Some of the other digital tv stations/channels might be received by a reflection off of Saw Mill Ridge to the west. The Only Way to find out is point the antenna at different places below the ridge , along that ridge that runs north and south. It is a point and scan type of a situation , looking for a hot spot. Many years ago , before the other helpers here at tvfool were even born. The Only Way to receive tv was analog broadcast television. 95% of the USA had only one or two tv channels. It was common in mountain type places to see tv antennas mounted at all manner angles and directions to get that tv transmission. The satellite image looks like the below ridge , the face surface is very rocky between the trees , thats good , tv signals bounce off of rocks real nice. Can I say that you will receive tv transmissions this way , the only way to find out is to try. If you go to the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool and make the antenna height 1 foot high and move the pointer to different points below the ridge you will see that the signal strengths are at the single digits ( positive NM dB ) positive NM(dB) numbers are good , negative NM(dB) numbers are not. Why one foot antenna height?? The reason is you are measuring the strength of the signal that is landing on and bouncing off the rock surface.

Last edited by Electron; 15-Mar-2012 at 7:20 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Mar-2012, 4:47 AM   #23
Electron

If you choose to go ahead with the testing. The deck is on the south side of the house , it looks like you can do the testing up there. And if one or more channels can be received it look like the antenna could be mounted up there. For testing , a tripod antenna mount like this makes a good test stand. http://www.ronard.com/909911.html. The ronard mount can be bought at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box. The antenna and ect. , can be bought at http://www.solidsignal.com

Last edited by Electron; 14-Mar-2012 at 4:59 AM.
Old 14-Mar-2012, 8:03 AM   #24
Electron

Recently on a trip in to the mountains here in Arizona. I saw a tv antenna that the reception elements were turned almost vertical and the antenna was a aimed at a place at the canyon wall in the direction the enterance. The canyon is curved , not straight. I stopped to admire the tv antenna installation on a short tower. The owner came out and we had a nice chat about the old days of analog broadcast tv reception and the 'tricks' of analog tv reception also work with digital tv reception. He is receiving 5 digital UHF channels with no pixalation or dropouts.
Old 14-Mar-2012, 8:12 AM   #25
Electron

Attn: DL . I am personally familiar with many ways to get broadcast tv reception because I have actually did it. Many of us that have been there are gone now. And smart people now days do not know anything.

Last edited by Electron; 15-Mar-2012 at 7:24 PM.