TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Feb-2012, 7:28 AM   #21
ant

OK, we are going to try it ourselves without professional installers and with smaller to see if they get anything. Would http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11646220 be a good choice to start from Costco?

If not, then what specific ones to get that are returnable from local retail stores to see, buy, and be able to return easily if these don't work.

Also, where can I find professional antennae installers for La Habra Heights, CA 90631?

Last edited by ant; 27-Feb-2012 at 8:05 AM.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 3:52 PM   #22
MisterMe

OK. There are three obvious problems here. The first is that Costco is charging $10 over Winegard's price for the FV-HD30. The second is that you have chosen an antenna that is better for line-of-sight locations whereas you have a mountain between the transmission towers and your home. You have chosen a J-mount mast which will probably limit your antenna height to 15-20 feet whereas you need to mount your antenna as high as you can get it.

The FV-HD30 is a good antenna, but it is not a good antenna for you.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 4:26 PM   #23
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

As a test , Yes put the antenna up and see what can be received.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 4:54 PM   #24
Electron

The FCC web site shows that KVMD is transmitting. http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=16729
Old 27-Feb-2012, 6:20 PM   #25
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
The FCC web site shows that KVMD is transmitting. http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...=0&facid=16729
Yes, they have filed a license to cover their primary site that covers the city of license, Twentynine Palms. If you scroll further down that page, you'll see all the pending applications for the multiple locations for their proposed distributed transmission system that would have covered much of the Los Angeles metro area.

There is already a channel 23 licensed to Mt Wilson and another STA for La Habra Heights (KSGA-LD) which re-broadcasts KVMD. KSGA-LD has applied to move to UHF-30.

Given the overlapping and contradictory information in the FCC's database, I don't know what to believe might actually be on the air in the OP's neighborhood. Someone local to the area would need to provide first-person details.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 6:45 PM   #26
ant

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Yes, they have filed a license to cover their primary site that covers the city of license, Twentynine Palms. If you scroll further down that page, you'll see all the pending applications for the multiple locations for their proposed distributed transmission system that would have covered much of the Los Angeles metro area.

There is already a channel 23 licensed to Mt Wilson and another STA for La Habra Heights (KSGA-LD) which re-broadcasts KVMD. KSGA-LD has applied to move to UHF-30.

Given the overlapping and contradictory information in the FCC's database, I don't know what to believe might actually be on the air in the OP's neighborhood. Someone local to the area would need to provide first-person details.
All I know there were about nine subchannels (foreigns including Chinese). What else to check for with a portal TV with basic antennae?
Old 27-Feb-2012, 6:48 PM   #27
ant

Quote:
As a test , Yes put the antenna up and see what can be received.
OK unless there is another antenna I can get. It will be on one of the weekends...
Old 27-Feb-2012, 7:30 PM   #28
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
All I know there were about nine subchannels (foreigns including Chinese). What else to check for with a portal TV with basic antennae?
KVMD RF-23 broadcasts ten sub channels--all at 480i--using Virtual Channel 31. Its programming consists of sub channels dedicated to PBS and various foreign languages including Chinese and Armenian.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 7:33 PM   #29
ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
KVMD RF-23 broadcasts ten sub channels--all at 480i--using Virtual Channel 31. Its programming consists of sub channels dedicated to PBS and various foreign languages including Chinese and Armenian.
Yeah, that sounds about right.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 7:39 PM   #30
ant

Question

Quote:

Where exactly is this STA in La Habra Heights? http://www.kvmdtv.com/code/coverage_m.html doesn't show it. That explains why I pick this 31.x so easily compared to others. I wonder if it is the same antenna tower I saw near by. I noticed this tower in the short NE distance: http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/33774086.jpg ... http://www.antennasearch.com/sitesta...number=1013567 says a radio transmitter for a small college? Maybe this is not it? I wished I could stick my antenna up there.

Last edited by ant; 27-Feb-2012 at 7:49 PM.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 8:09 PM   #31
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Where exactly is this STA in La Habra Heights? http://www.kvmdtv.com/code/coverage_m.html doesn't show it.
See this page: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=5342 It has the coordinates for the transmitter site. The second photo matches the satellite overhead.

Quote:
I had a conversation with Ken Brown the Chief Engineer , KVMD. I am composing the results of the conversation , I will return.
Excellent. That should answer questions and clear confusion.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 27-Feb-2012 at 8:15 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2012, 8:22 PM   #32
ant

Thumbs up

Quote:
See this page: http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=5342 It has the coordinates for the transmitter site. The second photo matches the satellite overhead...
Ah hah! That's it! It is about a half of a mile in NE then. Heh, let's bring the rest of the stations over to this area. [grin] It was interesting that http://www.antennasearch.com/sitesta...number=1013567 does not say much about it as a TV translator.

Last edited by ant; 28-Feb-2012 at 8:38 PM.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 10:26 PM   #33
Electron

KSMV , KVMD , KIMG , KSGA , are 4 Tv transmitters that will cover most of costal / mountain areas of southern Ca. When all 4 are transmitting. Towers and transmission equipment is in place and has been tested , Waiting for the FCC approval. Currently KSMV at Mount Wilson is the only one that is transmitting on UHF23. Even so , my recommendation for tv reception still stands. The Tv stations/channels to the south east are , CBS , Me-TV , ABC , The Cool Tv , Azteca America , FOX , Antenna Tv , This Tv , Independent channel , NBC , PBS , XHDTV.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 10:41 PM   #34
Electron

The Tv stations/channels to the north west that can received are , ABC , The Live Well Network , FOX , Independent Channel , MyNetwork , Bounce Tv , Retro Tv Network , AMG Tv , America One , Tr3's , Telemundo , NBC , CW , Antenna Tv , This Tv , TBN.

Last edited by Electron; 3-Mar-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 10:49 PM   #35
Electron

Of all the Main digital channels and digital sub channels to the north west and south east , I only see one CBS channel and that is to the south east , KFMB digital channel 8 CBS with digital sub channel Me-Tv.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 10:52 PM   #36
Electron

If you will like to install one antenna to begin with , I recommend a HD7084P antenna. You can aim it to the north west or south east.
Old 27-Feb-2012, 10:54 PM   #37
Electron

How many Tv's are/will be connected??
Old 28-Feb-2012, 3:48 AM   #38
ant

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd wouldn't be too concerned about height, but I would be about directivity of the antenna and it's location.

I'd go with a two antenna combo, one for VHF and one for UHF. The UHF would be a 91XG. I'd mount it on the roof in a location where you can exeriment on the height to maximize the signal on your weakest UHF station. Next I'd get a Y10-7-13 for VHF. I'd use a 7777 preramp to combine the antennas.
Do local retail stores carry these types and similiar indoor house antennae to use like in the attic that is returnable easily like at Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Costco, etc.?
Old 28-Feb-2012, 3:48 AM   #39
ant

Quote:
How many Tv's are/will be connected??
4-5 probably. All CRT currently though. We will get HDTVs later on. For now, let's concentrate on getting the local broadcast channels.
Old 28-Feb-2012, 3:50 AM   #40
ant

Question

Quote:
If you will like to install one antenna to begin with , I recommend a HD7084P antenna. You can aim it to the north west or south east.
Cool, they have this in my local Fry's Electronics store (returnable), but not Best Buy. Do I assume this one can be used indoor like in the attic too?