TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-May-2011, 1:03 PM   #1
siriusxmfan

Rg6 cable connectors-what kind?

What are the best type of RG6 Cable connectors to use in your opinions? I see they have compression one's and saw a video on them, then they have the gool old crimp style, for which I have a tool for that, thought I have heard they do not make great connections. Is that true, or is it all in the way one goes about installing them? Thanks

Last edited by siriusxmfan; 17-May-2011 at 1:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
siriusxmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 1:49 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Double shielded RG-6 and compression connectors.

Quad-shield is not needed for OTA frequencies. RG-59 has too much loss. Crimp connectors are inferior in several ways, mechanically and electrically.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 2:27 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusxmfan View Post
They have the gool old crimp style, for which I have a tool for that, thought I have heard they do not make great connections.
I think that crimp style F connectors make excellent connections. Once you have the tool there's no reason to change.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 3:29 PM   #4
siriusxmfan

As for the compression connectors, What brand of compression tool is a good one, The one I saw on youtube that they used cost $75-$80.00!! I then saw one made by klien(A very reliable company, I have some of their tools) and that was at the home depot, it was around $37.00 As for the crimp connectors, do they fall apart easily? Not connect tight enough?
Old 17-May-2011, 4:28 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I think that crimp style F connectors make excellent connections. Once you have the tool there's no reason to change.
Hard to argue with... so long as the existing tools are not over or under crimping.

Some time ago, I replaced my personal crimping tool with a kit by DataShark. Amazon and the home improvement centers carry these. http://www.amazon.com/DataShark-7001.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I have not found a compression connector that I would caution against. Several brands have all functioned perfectly in my compression tool.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 7:41 PM   #6
rickcain

Harbor Freight sells a nice inexpensive compression fitting crimper but thats all it does. You will need a separate tool for cutting and prepping the RG6 cable.

I am not a big fan of harbor freight's compression fittings, so I use the more expensive Greenlee brand.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 8:43 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

LOWES home improvement store has the IDEAL line of compression tools and fittings , http://www.idealindustries.com . The LOWES stores that I go into have , cable , data com , electrical , displayed in a clear clean and easy to find manner. Not like home depot that has every thing jammed and stacked on the shelves. The compression fittings are the best to use.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
siriusxmfan

Well, I am going to go with the Compression connectors for sure, now will check out the tools, Thanks, you guys have given me a great bunch of advice and direction to go in. Will post on how I do, Thanks again, Pat