TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Jul-2018, 1:29 AM   #1
VKT

HDB91X switch to bay

Hello,
Right now I'm currently running combined with an Ideal splitter a HDB91X towards Cleveland and a 91XG towards Pittsburgh with an old Wineguard AP-4800 pre amp.
Pittsburgh is coming in fine.
I'm getting Cleveland channels 3 & 5 with some drop out during the day and Akron channel 23 coming in off the side only in the evening.
If I turn the antenna toward Akron it comes in during the day time, I would like to get Cleveland 3 & 5 and Akron 23 during the daytime.

I was thinking would an 8 bay antenna pointed at 270 degrees work better with both directions, maybe one of those new adjustable 8 bay that split towards Akron and Cleveland?
I have an old DB8 I might try here when I get some energy (have a hinged tower) also have a new CM-7777 I can swap with the Wineguard.
Thanks in advance!

Here is my tvfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...90380ce206c457
VKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2018, 12:25 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Once you get such a hodge-podge of antennas tied together, it's impossible to predict whether or not it will work. You'd simply have to try it and see.

Trying to combine multiple antennas with a $5-10 device is going to be potluck. Cable and satellite companies spend hundreds (or more) per channel on custom filters, combiners, and amps to do that type of signal combining and processing.

The usual reason for combining failure is a desired signal that is supposed to come in on a particular antenna also comes in on one of the other antennas with sufficient strength that the signals, when mixed in the combiner, combine out of phase (aka phase cancellation) effectively creating the same effect as co-channel interference.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2018, 1:42 PM   #3
JoeAZ

Before you buy anything you may want to try: Temporarily
separating the two antennas by eliminating the combiner/splitter.
You will need to get on the roof, run a separate line from each
antenna to your tv. If your reception improves, you know that
the combiner is causing the phase cancellation that ADTech
is referring to. Hope this helps.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2018, 2:37 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Do keep in mind that when combining antennas aimed in different directions, you also incur about a 6-7 dB signal power loss. Barring phase cancellation issues, that also means you may well loose your very weakest signals due to that additional insertion loss.

See http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/merging.html for an expanded explanation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2018, 5:53 PM   #5
Nascarken
Banned

You loos db!!you loos channel's that is how Rf,works,HELLO!!!!
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2018, 3:05 PM   #6
VKT

This hodge podge is working fine with the db loss, the only problem is trying to get Cleveland wkyc at 272 degrees and Akron wvpx at 254 degrees.
The HDB91X is more directional so I thought maybe a bay antenna would be better at receiving from both directions like the DB8e with the adjustable direction bays.
Old 4-Aug-2018, 5:03 PM   #7
Nascarken
Banned

No the HDB91 is not as directional it has a beem with of 60 wide
For the price of an OTHER HDB91,with its free shipping for $40dollars
And it's the best ANTENNA out their for the money the DB8,$150,dollars
Is really not worth buying and besides that the HDB91,will out last and out perform
The DB8,and IT'S price lol The HDB91 is not a bot wind sail like the DB8.Lol
And that being said but if put 2 HDB91 on the same pole position in a v pattern
Will work very well with It's beem with of 60 but I suggest you dount wate becuse
Free shipping is going to be gone soon, well good luck and be safe on the roof and look out for power lines when installing an outdoor tv antenna,ps antenna installers have been doing so for years way before
antennas Direct&teck dbg loos I do not think so 3+30+17??=
What +one more 91???

Last edited by Nascarken; 4-Aug-2018 at 5:31 PM.
Old 14-Aug-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
VKT

Update well I put up another mast to adjust both antennas individually and ordered another 91xg and added the cm-7777 and problem solved picking up Cleveland and Akron now during the daytime.
I also pointed the new antenna at Pittsburgh and received at least 12 more channels so the older 91xg probably needs a new balun.
Old 14-Aug-2018, 2:43 AM   #9
Nascarken
Banned

Yes that's probably true GoOd luck I new some thing was wrong.
Old 21-Aug-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
Billiam

Try a rotor. It makes picking up channels in more than one direction much easier than using a single antenna or multiple antennas other than using a separate VHF and UHF configuration.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2018, 3:10 PM   #11
Nascarken
Banned

Well the price of a good rotor is like $300dollars/and for the junk!channel master rotors
Are like $150dollars so less thing's to worry about use too antennas position in a v pattern
Is the best way to go and a lot cheaper than buying a rotor! Set them and for get them.
Good luck and be safe on the roof and look out for power lines when installing an outdoor tv antenna��