TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Feb-2017, 1:14 AM   #1
verdigris

KCTS or PBS in Vancouver, BC

[deleted.]

Last edited by verdigris; 16-Feb-2017 at 5:38 AM.
verdigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2017, 1:44 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

It usually helps if you identify your current antenna so your current results can be understood.

KBTS's (PBS Tacoma) translator, K24IC, is located to your SOUTH. If the antenna is aimed in the opposite direction, well.....

KCTS is not receivable based on your plot.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Jake V

If this were me and I was just starting I'd probably try an Antennas Direct DB-4e with its reflector removed (to make it bi-directional) aimed at about 150 to 160 degrees.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
If this were me and I was just starting I'd probably try an Antennas Direct DB-4e with its reflector removed (to make it bi-directional) aimed at about 150 to 160 degrees.
That's certainly a great idea, it just requires a drill. The DB2e would be a great alternative with the same proviso and it's more economical and more compact.

A C2 or C4 is even easier, just don't install the separate reflector grids. Both are available (-V version) at Canadian Best Buy retail stores if waiting is an issue. The VHF element is unnecessary in Vancouver unless you wanted to use it for a modest FM antenna.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 14-Feb-2017, 1:38 PM   #5
Jake V

I agree with ADTEch.

Verdigris has the possibility of getting KCPQ (Fox) on Real Channel 13 (160 degrees). I've had good luck with the DB-4e picking up VHF-HI channels, so he might not require a VHF antenna to receive it. [He does not need to worry about CHAN (GTN) on VHF-LO 3 since it is also broadcast on UHF 22.]

Should he need a VHF-HI antenna I'd recommend the Stellar Labs VHF-HI (either the 30-2476 or the 30-2475) or the Antennas Direct ClearStream 5 (smaller, but much more expensive).

---

But, of course, Verdigris already has an antenna and he says is is aimed northeast. We need to know what brand / model it is. But I'd first recommend he aim it at 150-160 degrees (using a compass) and do a few re-scans to see what he gets.

Receiving PBS on real channel 9 is not realistic. But with the recommendations above you should receive K24IC (which is KBTC) on real channel 24 at 156 degrees.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Feb-2017, 2:08 PM   #6
ADTech

Quote:
I've had good luck with the DB-4e picking up VHF-HI channels,
VHF reception on a stock DB4e can be quite variable due to the effect of the balun and the coaxial cable.

Very generally, reception of the highest VHF channels is skewed from 30 to 60° to the LEFT of antenna boresite and the net gain is decidedly negative. I'd have to go back and review the data from my range and field testing for the last two years and see if those general observations can be fine tuned.

The bottom line, and one I've actively promoted for several years, is to actively PLAN for VHF reception instead of relaying on chance. The simple VHF dipole kit that we offer is a very good example of a very predictable VHF antenna since the behavior of a simple dipole is widely understood. It's not intended for "long range" reception, but, as someone who has tested it extensively, it's way underrated as it doesn't have any of the typical compromises in a simple set of "rabbit ears".

Old 15-Feb-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
ADTech

Yeah, that antenna is more about form than function.

If you have the bulk of your building to your south, it's very likely to block the signals from the south if it's of modern construction. This will make reception from the south either difficult or impossible as the signals cannot penetrate through the building to get to you. If you are in the northeast tower, then the tower to your south is also dead in the signal path to the Bellingham transmitters.

The C4 is the base model for the C4V, the "V" denotes the inclusion of the VHF module, something that isn't needed in Vancouver (no VHF stations). Canadian Best Buy stores only carry the "V" versions.

The revelation that you are in a high-rise apartment building is a bit tardy. Could have cut to the chase if that had been known up front.

Last edited by ADTech; 15-Feb-2017 at 12:16 PM.