TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Jun-2016, 2:10 AM   #1
TommyT

Smile Looking for advise on antenna

I live in Harrison, AR, which is located in North Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains. I am approximately 60 miles south of Springfield, Mo, which has several OTA stations. The terrain is hilly and my nyou eighborhood has a lot of trees. I am interested in cutting my cable, but worry about reception at my site. My TV Analysis is the following:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb0056757a63

Do you think I can get reception in my area, and if so what antennas would give me the best results?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2016, 6:26 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, TommyT:

Quote:
I am interested in cutting my cable, but worry about reception at my site.
I am worried too, Tommy. The Springfield signals are weak and the terrain and trees can be a problem.

Quote:
Do you think I can get reception in my area, and if so what antennas would give me the best results?
I think your chances are pretty good if you can get the antenna high enough to clear the trees. You will need to try it to find out.

I suggest a Winegard HD7698P antenna aimed at 8 degrees magnetic and a Channel Master 7778 or Antennas Direct Juice preamp.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TommyTTVFmap2.JPG (171.3 KB, 1061 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 5-Jun-2016 at 7:23 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2016, 7:35 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

You can see that you are on the fringe of coverage for KSPR ABC:

Here is another coverage map. Red color is weak signal. No red, weaker signal, like Windsor Dr:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TommyTTVFcovKSPR.JPG (122.4 KB, 998 views)
File Type: jpg TommyTTVFcovKSPR3.JPG (104.9 KB, 1039 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 5-Jun-2016 at 8:07 PM.
Old 5-Jun-2016, 8:02 PM   #4
TommyT

Thanks for the reply. The trees here very tall. No chance of getting an antenna up higher than they are. Some one needs to invent a device, like a meter, that would allow you to check your potential signals and signal strength from your home, before you purchase an antenna.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2016, 8:18 PM   #5
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Some one needs to invent a device, like a meter, that would allow you to check your potential signals and signal strength from your home, before you purchase an antenna.
That would be a good idea. The tvfool report is a computer simulation that predicts signal strengths accurate to about a football field length for location. The report does not take into consideration trees or other buildings in the signal path.

The best you can do would be to set up a smaller temporary antenna and use a TV or converter box that has a signal strength meter. If it looks promising, you could go for the big antenna. You could buy a signal level meter, but it would be cheaper to have an antenna installer make some measurements for you to tell you what your chances are. You happen to be in one of the better signal areas in Harrison.

A generic report for Harrison shows KSPR a lot weaker, -6.3 dB NM instead of +14.6 dB NM, a difference of 20.9 dB.

Generic report for Harrison, intersection of Stephenson Ave and Main St, 36.229794, -93.107677

The elevation there is 1050 feet, 200 feet lower than your location @ 1250 feet.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbec83046e47

Some people even run a tvfool report before they purchase a home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TommyTTVFp2KSPR.JPG (105.6 KB, 985 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 5-Jun-2016 at 11:31 PM.