TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Oct-2010, 5:45 PM   #1
alderpond

Any hope for OTA in Tahuya, WA

Hi,
New to the forum. I live near Tee Lake in Tahuya, WA. (Appx. 500 ft. elev.). Anyone out here have any OTA success? If I have a shot at OTA, I can put up an antenna up to 25 to 30 feet. We have no cable, I detest Sat., and we just got low speed DSL. WooHoo! Is it worth it?

Alderpond
alderpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2010, 7:47 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Reception

As the other question askers have done , make a radar plot with the exact address. And how many tv's will be connected. Inter in a antenna height of 25 or 30 feet

Last edited by John Candle; 31-Oct-2010 at 9:52 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2010, 8:59 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

I think it's worth it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alderpond View Post
Hi,
New to the forum. I live near Tee Lake in Tahuya, WA. (Appx. 500 ft. elev.). Anyone out here have any OTA success? If I have a shot at OTA, I can put up an antenna up to 25 to 30 feet. We have no cable, I detest Sat., and we just got low speed DSL. WooHoo! Is it worth it?

Alderpond
You and I are in the Seattle market, Hi neighbor. I am enjoying more than two dozen channels. As JC has suggested, use the http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29 tool to get a prediction of what signals are available to you. Post that report... we will be glad to offer a suggestion or two.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
alderpond

Any hope?

Thanks for the replies. I've plotted the "radar map" and it looks like I have a shot at two or three stations. Now, any recommendations on the type of antenna to use. I have a huge yagi (sp) that I have used before for UHF reception. (Very directional). Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Alderpond
alderpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Oct-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Still have some questions...

Here is a radar plot I did using the information you gave. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a35b89c692c0

I picked a home along the 500' contour east of Tee Lake. If you could include the link to your actual radar plot we could offer better advise.

Do you know if your existing antenna is a combination UHF/VHF design. Is it in serviceable condition?

If I were buying a new antenna based on the plot I made, I would pick something like this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=
or this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

Because of the hilly terrain and trees, I would lean toward the larger antenna. But to give you relevant advise, we need to be looking at your report. Can you copy and paste you link?

Old 1-Nov-2010, 6:28 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Reception

The way it works is to post the radar plot so we can see what needs to be done.
Old 7-Nov-2010, 1:14 AM   #7
ClamLover

Beyond Tahuya in Dewatto area

Hi Guys,

Mind if I jump in here too? Any suggestions for the proper antenna?
I intend to put it 100 ft. up in a tree if it will help. I ran the analysis for both 0' and 100' and it looks much better if I do some tree climbing.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a334af32b33b

Do I use the same atenna for HD broadcasts?

CL
ClamLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Nov-2010, 3:44 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Down in a hole...

ClamLover,

I am sad to say that it looks like you can only hope for two stations. KCPQ and KTBW. KCPQ is currently feeding local news and Fox network programing on VC13.1 and their 24/7 weather channel on VC13.2. KTBW is a Christian station. They feed five virtual channels,(20.1 - 20.5) TBN network, The Church Channel, JCTV, Enlance TBN (Spanish), and Smile of a Child.

If I were climbing that far, I would use the Winegard HD 7698P.

I don't know if you have more than one tree to consider using... If you do, use this tool http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90 to pinpoint your signal analysis to the exact spot to see if there is a sweet spot available.

Old 7-Nov-2010, 4:59 AM   #9
John Candle

Tv Reception

Go to the >Start MAPS< part of tvfool. Raise the antenna height to 25 feet then 40 feet or even higher , see if can get more channels/tv stations. 99% of the time , height means more stations. And then repost with a higher antenna height.
Old 7-Nov-2010, 1:37 PM   #10
ClamLover

Smile Happy for 1 station anyways

GroundUrMast and John,

Thanks for the replies... what a great site.
The interactive tool should prove helpful.
At least I can watch the NFL on Fox.

CL
ClamLover is offline   Reply With Quote