TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Jan-2011, 7:09 PM   #1
yo eddy

Want exterior antenna...

... Local signal is great, but literally all over the map: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf470ed3756a0

There are many larger structures around my house. A set of bunny ears inside will pick up 17 or so channels but is missing the 2 PBS channels that I want, and some of the others break up frequently. I would would like to get all of the green channels but have 1 antenna driving 3 TV's, preferably outside where it doesn't get messed up.

Omni-directional antennas are said to not be so great is that still the case in this situation?

Thanks...
yo eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2011, 8:06 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given the very high signal levels, you need to attenuate the line. Absolutely NO amplifier...

http://www.amazon.com/10-DB-ATTENUAT...=pd_sim_misc_4

You should experiment with at least 20 dB of attenuation. Even at 40 dB I expect you to see both PBS stations.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Jan-2011 at 8:26 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2011, 8:28 PM   #3
yo eddy

I can do that. Would a non-amplified splitter to the 3 tv's do the same thing?

I still am trying to select an antenna... The guide on antennacraft says HBU33 would work but that is a directional unit. Would that pull the strong signals from directions other than where it is pointed? Sorry am a newbie.
Old 26-Jan-2011, 8:39 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

A passive 3-way splitter will attenuate 4 to 8 dB. Hopefully the manufacturer labeled the ports. (Often on three way splitters, one of the three outputs will have less loss)

You need much more attenuation. I suspect the strong signals are overloading the receiver front-end, which appears as signal break-ups.

Though it is counter-intuitive, a directional antenna is often needed for it's ability to reject multipath. If you get to the point where you try a directional antenna, you will most certainly need to attenuate the signal from it also.

But first, let's work with the antenna you have.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Jan-2011 at 1:51 AM.
Old 26-Jan-2011, 8:49 PM   #5
yo eddy

Cool.
I will look for some attenuators an report back.
Old 27-Jan-2011, 12:59 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Also I suggest a FM trap. You location is in the thick of it Tv and Fm stations. An indoor antenna should work if you knock those signal levels down. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 1:49 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Good point John. http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...Captiva%20Feed

Old 27-Jan-2011, 4:53 PM   #8
yo eddy

Just ordered the FM trap and Attenuators. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 1-Feb-2011, 4:10 PM   #9
yo eddy

I'm back...

Man in brown brought me attenuators which really seemed to kill the signal; and the FM trap which seemed to improve the channels which were breaking up. I'm still experimenting. I did a rescan on the tv and am pulling in 28 channels now (although a few of them say no signal on the tv I think there's something on the line), I get 30.1 PBS but am missing 5.1 FOX. I would still like to get the 8.1 PBS though...
Maybe the antenna is in a bad location or it's the weather (low clouds & overcast today)...
Old 1-Feb-2011, 4:17 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Are you still using a single set of rabbit ears at this point?

Old 1-Feb-2011, 4:20 PM   #11
yo eddy

The antenna I am using is unremarkable: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2165

maybe not exactly bunny ears.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 4:47 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

Good antenna for UHF close to the transmitters. It lacks support for VHF though.

The previously mentioned HBU-33 is more antenna than needed. An RCA ANT-751 is designed to cover all of the UHF channels plus the high VHF channels 7 through 13. Another antenna to consider would be a Winegard FV-HD30. Both are somewhat directional but not to the point of causing you to loose access to the strong local stations.

I expect that either of these antennas mounted outside will receive so much signal, that you will need to use some attenuation.

Old 1-Feb-2011, 5:14 PM   #13
yo eddy

Those are both nice looking antennas...

Would I need to worry about their mounting direction? Reason I ask is I could mount either of them at the cable demarcation point on the side of the house but that would limit where I could point it- this would be the north side. If i need W-E or NE-SW orientation I probably need to run a line from the roof.

Also, the attenuators... are they directional on the line they are installed? Maybe that is why they killed the signal.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 5:35 PM   #14
yo eddy

One more thing to add which i guess I should have mentioned earlier is that I have a metal roof, at first I didn't think it would affect anything but now I'm reading it can give me a lot of interference.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 5:44 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Attenuators are passive devices, not sensitive to direction of signal flow.

To receive WGTV (real CH 8) you will want the antenna to point (ANT-751) or face (FV-HD30) east. You TVF report indicates 84° (compass).

But there is no harm trying it in the more convenient location first...

It sounds like attic mounting would be unsuccessful given the metal roof.

Old 1-Feb-2011, 6:11 PM   #16
yo eddy

Thanks I think I will go with the ANT751 on the roof. I've read elsewhere & want to confirm the antenna should be 4' off a metal roof?
Old 1-Feb-2011, 8:44 PM   #17
John Candle

If you read back in other posts you will find that I ask about Metal Roof over and over and over again. I know this about many question askers , they will leave out what is important and talk about what is not important. It's because the world we live in now the important is , THE IMAGE , THE EGO , THE ATTITUDE. . I despise , image , ego , attitude , tells me the person is out of touch with reality and is crazy. Tv antennas are not Tv antennas because they are cool. Tv antennas are Tv antennas so as to Receive Tv signals so you can watch Tv. READ AND UNDERSTAND THE INFORMATION IN THESE LINKS. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695 , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by John Candle; 2-Feb-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 8:58 PM   #18
John Candle

Yes mount the antenna a minimum of 5 feet above the highest part of a metal roof.
Old 1-Feb-2011, 9:01 PM   #19
yo eddy

I actually didn't think the roof was an issue- only figured it out be researching grounding requirements.