TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:28 PM   #21
sd121

How sensitive is signal strength to being off axis in direction? Does 1 or 2 degrees make a difference or is it 5 to 10 degrees?
Sorry for all the questions, just want to understand it better.
sd121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:30 PM   #22
Billiam

Nope. A few degrees with this antenna will not matter except possibly with KICU and that is if you can even get it in. For the rest of them it will not be an issue.

I recommend the following rotor. I own it and it is reliable and can handle the HBU 44 with ease. I had a HBU 55 on it (larger than the HBU 44) and the rotor didn't need to be reset very often unless high winds were an issue. Resetting the rotor is easy and done from inside the home.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:33 PM   #23
sd121

Yes I can and would get help with the mounting. I can run/mount a pole along side the house and put the antenna on that. This would could give the same or more height (2 story house) and greater distance from the tree line if that would be helpful.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:36 PM   #24
sd121

If bigger is better, would an HBU 55 be better to use? For a few dollars more if it would improve things might be worth the extra cost.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:38 PM   #25
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd121 View Post
Yes I can and would get help with the mounting. I can run/mount a pole along side the house and put the antenna on that. This would could give the same or more height (2 story house) and greater distance from the tree line if that would be helpful.
I did that at my former house. I used four two foot long 2 by 4's bolted to the studs on the side of the house and then mounted mounting brackets into each 2 by 4. At the base I used three cinder blocks filled with cement that had the bottom mast secured at the ground. First, I centered the mast, then poured the cement and then let it sit for a while until it started to solidify. Then I carefully pulled the mast out so as to not disturb the cement and cleaned it off. After it had dried I was able to slip in the mast and slip it out with ease when needed.

Use a couple of flat blocks as a base to put the cinder blocks on. That way you won't have a pile of cement sitting on the ground and also a better base to stabilize the mast.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:38 PM   #26
Billiam

Quote:
If bigger is better, would an HBU 55 be better to use? For a few dollars more if it would improve things might be worth the extra cost.
Yep. It's around 12 feet long though. Six feet on each side of the rotor more or less. Make sure you have the branches trimmed back well away from the antenna.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:48 PM   #27
sd121

So it sounds like a single HBU 55 antenna on a mast attached to the side of the house maximizing height and distance to the tree line, with a rotor (which one do you recommend?) and potentially a RCA TVPRAMP1R . . . if needed and trim low branches as needed is the path. Please let me know if I’ve missed anything or if there is any other aspects of the installation that need particular attention.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:51 PM   #28
Billiam

http://antennacraft.net/Manuals/TDP2_manual_.pdf

Can be purchased online at many places. This is the best one for the money. It's not a digital rotor but should be precise when aimed. Use good quality RG6 cable. Quad Shield. Can buy that at Radio Shack. Use a quality electrical tape to cover the connects outside to shield them from water unless you get the RG6 that has a Weather Boot over it.

Yes, otherwise I think you have all the information you need for the moment.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 5:51 PM   #29
sd121

Thank you for taking your time to share your knowledge and experienced with the less informed. I truly appreciate your help.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 6:05 PM   #30
Billiam

You're welcome.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 6:27 PM   #31
sd121

Sorry, one more question out of curiosity.
Why is the DB8e such a popular antenna? It seems like it get recommended all the time and it's not an inexpensive one either.
Thanks again.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 6:58 PM   #32
Billiam

Probably because it can be pointed in two directions to pick up signals from those directions. But by doing that you lose gain in each direction.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 7:06 PM   #33
sd121

Makes sense.
Thanks again.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 7:12 PM   #34
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

"1-edge" and "2-edge" refers to the signals' diffractions, not reflections. See the signal analysis FAQs for details.

A "2-edge" situation is where a "1-edge" signal path has a subsequent path obstruction and the already-weakened signals must diffract a second time, further weakening and scattering them.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2014, 7:41 PM   #35
sd121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
"1-edge" and "2-edge" refers to the signals' diffractions, not reflections. See the signal analysis FAQs for details.

A "2-edge" situation is where a "1-edge" signal path has a subsequent path obstruction and the already-weakened signals must diffract a second time, further weakening and scattering them.
Is this the primary reason why the signal strength is so low on the report?

What do you feel the best antenna / setup would be in my situation?
Old 3-Aug-2014, 7:55 PM   #36
Billiam

Quote:

Poor choice of words on my part. But I essentially know what these signals are but didn't convey that properly in my response.
Old 3-Aug-2014, 9:15 PM   #37
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Is this the primary reason why the signal strength is so low on the report?
Your local signals strengths on the report (Sacramento) are not low however, they are unlikely to be accurate for a number of those stations due to factors that are not included in the calculations, specifically, the vertical elevation patterns of the transmitting antenna and where their main beams are aimed vs your elevation and the presence of the forest around your receiving location. The calculations for the Bay area stations are pretty much a SWAG for your location. Doesn't mean you will or won't get them, it just means that with all the various imprecisions in your situation, their reception will definitely be a "YMMV" situation.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2014, 9:20 PM   #38
sd121

Quote:
Your local signals strengths on the report (Sacramento) are not low however, they are unlikely to be accurate for a number of those stations due to factors that are not included in the calculations, specifically, the vertical elevation patterns of the transmitting antenna and where their main beams are aimed vs your elevation and the presence of the forest around your receiving location. The calculations for the Bay area stations are pretty much a SWAG for your location. Doesn't mean you will or won't get them, it just means that with all the various imprecisions in your situation, their reception will definitely be a "YMMV" situation.
That being the case what hardware/configuration do you feel would give the best chance?
Old 3-Aug-2014, 9:23 PM   #39
sd121

also what are your thoughts on the Antennacraft HBU55 and the Antennas Direct DB8e