TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Oct-2011, 7:49 PM   #1
jeffj318

Question North East, MD Question

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b56d0779da09

Here is the radar I came up with. I am new to this and want to stop paying Directv money each month. My wife and I watch So You Think You Can Dance, Jeopardy and shows that are on regular over the air channels. Baltimore and Philly are about 50 miles from where we live if that helps. I do see WBAL, WJZ, WMPT, WMAR along with WBFF (very much needed for her show ).

Do I need an outside antenna or can I use an inside one? There is plenty of attic space or can one only connected to the TV work?

Thanks,
Jeff
jeffj318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2011, 8:15 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Are you already 'testing' reception with an indoor antenna? If so, are you seeing all the stations you care about, reliably?

Based on the numbers in your report, I would opt for a large antenna installed outdoors.

Do you want full or nearly full converge of both Baltimore and Philadelphia stations? To do so would require a rotator or two antennas with A/B switching. Rotators are usually best suited to serving only one TV... viewers at additional sets will often want the antenna aimed some other direction.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Oct-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
jeffj318

North East

No .... no inside antenna. Still have Directv. Might call them and threaten to terminate due to finances, etc. and see what they come up with. I can do $30, but would prefer to do nothing.
Old 4-Oct-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffj318 View Post
Do I need an outside antenna or can I use an inside one? There is plenty of attic space or can one only connected to the TV work?

Thanks,
Jeff
Outdoors: an HD 7694P or HBU-44 only if the lead-in is less than 30'. In the attic a HD7698P or HBU-55 with an AP8700 preamp, but expect some dropouts and alot of fidgeting to find the best location and aiming.

Some report that the HBU-55 can be folded back up easier than the HD 7698P if you find that you need to move it to the roof.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Oct-2011, 6:38 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

How many tv's are/will be connected??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Oct-2011, 2:07 AM   #6
jeffj318

North East

Thanks to everyone. I believe this helps. Not sure if the wife is going to go for a large antenna as it took her awhile to agree to the satellite dish. We shall see.
Otherwise, my vote is to go for Roku and have Netflix and Hulu Plus and skip the regular TV.
Old 6-Oct-2011, 2:32 AM   #7
John Candle

WOW so much information , lets do this the easy way. A Winegard HD7696P antenna <-a smaller antenna. And a Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamplifier. Mounted on the roof top and aimed at about 245 degree magnetic compass will get you these channels and more , PBS , ABC , NBC , CBS , CW , FOX , MyNetwork. NO rotor needed , NO special wiring needed. Aim the antenna at one place and you are good to go. Here is the easy way to understand how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html

Last edited by John Candle; 6-Oct-2011 at 2:40 AM.
Old 6-Oct-2011, 2:42 AM   #8
John Candle

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.solidsignal.com
Old 6-Oct-2011, 2:50 AM   #9
John Candle

Please don't be scared away , I have done my best to make it simple , and I will work with you for easy understanding.
Old 9-Oct-2011, 1:07 AM   #10
jeffj318

Scared

Not scared. Wife does not want an outside antenna. Might move soon so we probably will either reduce Directv or just go with either Roku and Netflix or Wii and Netflix. Thanks for the help for sure. I would opt for the antenna.

Would an indoor antenna work? She only needs Fox Network (WBFF Baltimore, MD) and second station might be WMAR Baltimore.

Last edited by jeffj318; 9-Oct-2011 at 1:11 AM. Reason: add comments
Old 9-Oct-2011, 1:52 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

With an indoor antenna you have a fair chance of seeing WMAR, WBFF is quite unlikely. The Winegard HD7698P mounted in your attic may or may not provide reliable reception of WBFF, the results depended on how much the signal is attenuated or reflected by the attic and roof construction materials.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 9-Oct-2011 at 3:56 AM.
Old 9-Oct-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
jeffj318

Paper Thin Antenna?

What about the paper thin antenna I have been hearing about?
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Lea.../dp/B004QK7HI8
Old 9-Oct-2011, 2:47 PM   #13
No static at all

Will your wife go for a small, fairly inconspicuous antenna? Once on the roof this antenna is nearly invisible.

Another option is this antenna if you won't need CBS or NBC.

I doubt an attic antenna will provide reliable reception of FOX as the transmitter power aimed in your direction is greatly reduced.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Nov-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
jeffj318

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
How many tv's are/will be connected??
Sorry to take so long to get back. One TV will be connected.
Old 23-Nov-2011, 1:06 PM   #15
jeffj318

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
Will your wife go for a small, fairly inconspicuous antenna? Once on the roof this antenna is nearly invisible.

Another option is this antenna if you won't need CBS or NBC.

I doubt an attic antenna will provide reliable reception of FOX as the transmitter power aimed in your direction is greatly reduced.
Looks like these antenna go about 30 miles. We are about 50 miles from either Baltimore or Philly. Roof top probably okay for Philly due to weather forecasts being more like where we live. How do I find someone to mount the antenna and guide the wire to the TV on the lower level? Could I use the same location the dish is now and guide the wire through the same location? Only using one TV. Will need CBS and NBC as well as Fox Network. Would this work .... http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...pr_product_top

Last edited by jeffj318; 23-Nov-2011 at 1:24 PM. Reason: add more information
Old 29-Nov-2011, 8:38 PM   #16
jeffj318

Can someone please help with my two questions above? Thanks!
Old 29-Nov-2011, 9:38 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

Quote:
What about the paper thin antenna I have been hearing about?
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Lea.../dp/B004QK7HI8
The Mohu Leaf is completely inadequate at your location. It is primarily a UHF design, with virtually no gain or directivity. It would be an option in an apartment in a major city, where little or no multipath interference exists... (It's rare to find all those conditions.)

Old 29-Nov-2011, 9:54 PM   #18
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Looks like these antenna go about 30 miles. We are about 50 miles from either Baltimore or Philly. Roof top probably okay for Philly due to weather forecasts being more like where we live. How do I find someone to mount the antenna and guide the wire to the TV on the lower level? Could I use the same location the dish is now and guide the wire through the same location? Only using one TV. Will need CBS and NBC as well as Fox Network. Would this work .... http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...pr_product_top
The C5 is a high-VHF antenna. It's UHF performance is not up to the task in your situation.

Connecting with an Installer, Generally, the satellite system coax can be reused to distribute the OTA signals.

If we were neighbors, your wife might not like the antenna(s) on my roof. I would take full advantage of the FCC OTARD rules and mount a tripod with a 10' mast section to place an antenna at 12' above the highest point of my house. I would use either a Winegard HD7698P or a combination of an Antennas Direct XG91 and a 10 element high VHF Yagi.

The signal conditions are dictating what will work, not our preferences. The smaller antennas suggested up to this point are reasonable attempts at a compromise between reliable reception and your (valid... it's your home) esthetic constraints. There is little room (IMO) for much compromise before you will be very frustrated with the results. You are in a 'fringe' to 'deep fringe' setting.

Old 30-Nov-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
jeffj318

Thanks Ground!

Thanks Ground! The bottom line is what you said with the fringe and beyond.
We are so far from Philly and Baltimore that I guess for now we should stay with the lowest price directv has to offer or my suggestion which is to go straight "cut the cord" and use our Roku for anything we want for free.