TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Aug-2013, 5:28 AM   #1
couloir007

2edge valley rooftop suggestions

I've done as much preliminary research as I could, and understand the basics and what I'm up against, now I'd like some advice from experienced people. My report at 30ft:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae0e50227974

The crest of my roof is at least 20ft, so I figure I could go another 10 if necessary. I'd like to pull in Fox if I could. I'm a Patriots fan, and for the occasional time they play on Fox, I'd still like to get it.

Thank you.
couloir007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2013, 8:56 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Given that it's performance peaks in the upper end of the UHF band, I'd suggest an Antennas Direct 91XG paired with a good preamplifier. be sure to mount the antenna in a location where it doesn't have to point at any trees or buildings.

It's unique mounting clamp design also gives you the ability to slightly tilt the 91XG... aim for the edge of the hill or ridge that the signal will be arriving over at about azimuth 277° magnetic.

I would also want to see WVNY, real CH-13, so I would add an Antennacraft Y10713, mounted on the same 10' mast, about 4' below the 91XG.

To combine these two antennas into a single down-lead, use an RCA TVPRAMP1R which has separate inputs for the UHF and VHF antennas.

10 'TV Antenna Mast' is getting difficult to find in stock. I've had success using 10.5' chain-link top rail for masts (Home Depot). Paired with a tripod such as the Ronard 811 or an eve bracket, you get a solid base to mount on.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2013, 6:51 PM   #3
couloir007

How about this antenna? The local Radio Shack has one.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...-antenna-(c490)
Old 22-Sep-2013, 7:04 PM   #4
couloir007

The local Radio Shack has a c490, http://bit.ly/19r79w1. Would this be a good choice? Also, what's a good preamp? Thank you.
Old 23-Sep-2013, 8:10 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

You need all the gain you can get. The C490 is a good antenna, but comes up short in UHF performance when compared to the 91XG.

The RCA TVPRAMP1R is a good amplifier when you want to combine a UHF and VHF antenna. The Antennas Direct PA-18 is a very good weak signal amplifier with a very impressive noise figure (lower is better). You would need a separate UHF/VHF combiner though.

I'm sticking with my first suggestion.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Sep-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
couloir007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
You need all the gain you can get. The C490 is a good antenna, but comes up short in UHF performance when compared to the 91XG.

The RCA TVPRAMP1R is a good amplifier when you want to combine a UHF and VHF antenna. The Antennas Direct PA-18 is a very good weak signal amplifier with a very impressive noise figure (lower is better). You would need a separate UHF/VHF combiner though.

I'm sticking with my first suggestion.
I'm within the UHF mileage of the c490, I'll give it a try, and if it doesn't work, return it. If it works, it can save me a bit of money. Thanks!