TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > General Site Feedback / Discussion

Notices

Old 28-Feb-2012, 1:41 PM   #1
wedmiston

Best HDTV Antenna? Online services? What to do with dish?

Moving and want to avoid cable/satellite service. Love the idea of an antenna plus online services (Hulu Plus, netflix) to augment OTA reception.

What is considered the best overall antenna for HDTV reception? I live about 20 mi. from a big city, no mountains in between, so what would be an optimal height for mounting it?

For those who subscribe to online services, are you satisfied you're getting all you want/need?

Lastly, the previous owner had DISH. Anything I can use that for or take it down?

I realize this is the 1000th time these questions have been asked, so I appreciate any effort!

Last edited by wedmiston; 28-Feb-2012 at 1:47 PM.
wedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2012, 2:15 PM   #2
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedmiston View Post

What is considered the best overall antenna for HDTV reception? I live about 20 mi. from a big city, no mountains in between, so what would be an optimal height for mounting it?

There is no such thing as a "best overall antenna." The best antenna depends on your exact location. If you want help selecting an antenna for your new home, then you need to do what everyone else does. Do a TV Fool Radar plot for your exact address. Give the type of dwelling--ranch-style home, trailer, McMansion, etc.--and the number of TV sets that will be connected to the antenna.

You may use the existing cabling for the Disk Network dish. However, you must keep in mind that splitters and joiners in the cable runs may not be compatible with OTA TV frequencies. Feed-thrus, couplers, and wall outlets should be OK.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Feb-2012, 2:23 PM   #3
wedmiston

I did not find the options to add number of TV's, type of home, etc. where is this?
Old 29-Feb-2012, 3:00 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

That comes later. First, we need to see what signals are in the air at your location.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Feb-2012, 6:30 PM   #5
wedmiston

Ran the tool - have results...what next?
Old 29-Feb-2012, 9:26 PM   #6
MisterMe

You do what everyone else does. Create a thread and post a link to your TV Fool Radar Plot in the Over the Air Services>Help With Reception area along with the other information asked for.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote