TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Aug-2014, 1:33 AM   #1
phantom

Antenna advice requested

My location is near Baltimore, MD.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2ffdc44a403e

I plan to mount a rooftop antenna. My concern is that LOS stations will be blocked by trees.
My house is 2 stories, but the trees appear almost twice that height.
See Google map picture.

I would like to receive all the LOS network stations from the radar plot. Channels 42 and 29 are the exact same PBS broadcast. The other stations are a mix of affiliates from Washington DC and Baltimore.
I have existing RG6 to 2 TVs.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Google_map.jpg (140.6 KB, 524 views)
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Aug-2014, 1:44 PM   #2
tomfoolery

Looking through a wall of trees is never as good as a clear shot, but for what it's worth, I have the DB4e with a dipole for high-VHF in my attic, looking through a wall of trees, with a similar fool report (noise margin and distance), and everything comes in with strong signal strength (100% on the tv's meter), but sometimes less than stellar signal quality as witnessed by the very rare bit of pixelation on a windy day, even with the signal strength still in the upper 90's. Better in winter, of course. And better with the antenna outdoors, above the roof, but I just haven't had the need.

You can get all the networks except ION (on real 34) from the NW, including two high-VHF stations. If it were me, I'd use a DB4e plus the optional dipole, the Clearstream 2V (which already has the dipole), or for more gain on VHF, the HBU33 or 44, mounted above the roof.

Another option is the DB8e, which allows you to aim the two panels to the NW and SW for both of those markets. Add either a dipole for 11 and 13, or (better), an Antenncraft Y5-7-13 (about $23 on Amazon) or Y10-7-13 (much longer, about $44) about 3 ft lower on the mast. That should bring in just about everything in the area.

Last edited by tomfoolery; 20-Aug-2014 at 1:51 PM.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Aug-2014, 8:48 AM   #3
teleview

+=>

The picture shows that the top of the roof , peak of the roof , is to the , ~ North ~.

Install a.

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

CM4228HD antenna at the North End of the of the Peak of the Roof.

--------------------------

Here are some roof top antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. Install the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

Also can install a.

http://www.ronard.com/712.html. Install the , ronard(10-50-10) , 10 foot tripod antenna mount.

On the Peak of the Roof on the ~North End~ of the Peak of the Roof.

During the Testing phase of reception do not bolt the tripod to the roof.

-----

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch length , 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that makes a excellent antenna mast/pipe , the price is low at about 12 dollars.

---------------------------

The reason for the antenna location on the ~North End ~ of the peak of the roof is to take advantage of the clear area of trees in the ~West~ direction ~West~ of the house so that the antenna will have a better shot at the Washington Tv stations to the South West.

The picture shows that a location that is about 25 feet from the house in the ~North~ direction will be better able to take advantage of the clear area of the trees in the South West direction toward Washington.

Aim the , CM4228HD UHF/VHF antenna at about 263 degree magnetic compass direction , Washington.

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

A antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required.

As a Test of reception connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the

CM4228HD antenna and run the NEW Continues Length of Coax through a open

door or window Direct to 1 TV.

Last edited by teleview; 22-Aug-2014 at 7:13 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 22-Aug-2014, 5:34 PM   #4
stvcmty

You are in a really good location for reception of both the DC and Baltimore markets.

I think teleview recommended the CM4228HD because it is usable on VHF. His list of steps are very well thought out.
I would add if you have any problems with reception for 7, 9, 11, or 13, VHF antenna(s) can be added to the CM4228HD. A Y10-7-13 pointed at DC, possibly angled to point over the trees would help with 7 and 9. A Y5-7-13 or a Y10-7-13 pointed at Baltimore would help with 11 and 13, again possibly angled to point over the trees. (VHF is nice, it will “bend” over obstacles better than UHF).
If you end up needing a VHF antenna for 7 and 9 and a VHF antenna for 11 and 13, merge the two with a channel 12 jointenna from the channel master store. http://www.channelmasterstore.com/JO..._p/cm-0582.htm Then merge the VHF signals from the jointenna with the CM4228HD using a UVSJ.

Your signals are so strong that there is a good chance the CM4228HD will get you VHF stations without extra work. If not, separate VHF antennas can be added after you get the CM4228HD installed following teleview’s recommendations.

There is a lot of overlap in the shows on Fox, CW, and MyN from both markets; they all share a lot of the same programing during non-prime time hours, just split into different parts of their schedules. So if you miss big bang on My 24, you can catch it on My 20 later in the evening.
stvcmty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Aug-2014, 4:18 AM   #5
StephanieS

Yes, this was my thought too or a DB8e with a panel pointed at DC and a panel at pointed at Baltimore. Then a supplemental HBU11 for DC VHF support combined with a EU385CF.

Several ways to work it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvcmty View Post
You are in a really good location for reception of both the DC and Baltimore markets.

I think teleview recommended the CM4228HD because it is usable on VHF. His list of steps are very well thought out.
I would add if you have any problems with reception for 7, 9, 11, or 13, VHF antenna(s) can be added to the CM4228HD. A Y10-7-13 pointed at DC, possibly angled to point over the trees would help with 7 and 9. A Y5-7-13 or a Y10-7-13 pointed at Baltimore would help with 11 and 13, again possibly angled to point over the trees. (VHF is nice, it will “bend” over obstacles better than UHF).
If you end up needing a VHF antenna for 7 and 9 and a VHF antenna for 11 and 13, merge the two with a channel 12 jointenna from the channel master store. http://www.channelmasterstore.com/JO..._p/cm-0582.htm Then merge the VHF signals from the jointenna with the CM4228HD using a UVSJ.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Aug-2014, 1:47 AM   #6
phantom

Smile

Many thanks to all for the advice.
I will post back once I have put up the antenna.
(might be a few weeks due to my work schedule).
Thanks again!
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote