TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception > Connecting with an Installer

Notices

Old 17-Apr-2015, 6:29 PM   #1
signals unlimited

Installers needed!

I am not sure if this is the proper location for this thread, if not I welcome a moderator to move or remove it.

One can't help notice that the requests' for installers in this forum section are viewed but not answered. To me this can only mean that there are very few installers and that antenna installation is not seen as a viable business. This could not be further from the truth! Perhaps there has been such a laps between the time when there was an antenna shop on every corner and now with an ever growing demand for free DTV reception that the art has been lost. I owned a TV repair/antenna business in the 70's and 80's. and when cable took over closed shop and went to work as a broadcast engineer. Realizing that there would be a need for antennas for the new DTV channels I reopened my antenna business. We were busy installing from day one and have applied old school installation skills with equipment designs for the new spectrum with much success. I encourage anyone interested in antennas to consider starting a part or full time installation business. I would be glad to help/advise anyone interested in this as a business. This is a needed service that is profitable, rewarding, and can be started for the price of a decent van and a couple thousand bucks worth of tools and test equipment.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2015, 2:09 PM   #2
rickbb

I've had thoughts along these lines for starting up a part time installer/reseller/consultant business. But know nothing about going rates, typical fees, etc.

I will hit retirement age in a few years and think I'd make better part time income with this than another old guy mowing grass or a Wally World greeter.

Please feel free to contact me via PM for my email or post here any advise you think appropriate.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-May-2015, 6:11 PM   #3
eggman531916

You're correct Signals Unlimited. I live in the Huntingdon-Mt. Union area about an hour's drive north of you. I'm the guy who commented on your Facebook page about the CM-4251. I thought about doing it as a side business to make a couple of extra dollars here and there. There is NOBODY around here that does antenna installations. Most don't even realize OTA still exists. Unfortunately, it can be hit and miss around here. I've had a few people ask me about it. Unfortunately, some have been in really bad locations. Others, have done fairly well.
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2015, 9:51 AM   #4
signals unlimited

In areas where there are few channels and poor reception there are still those who have on options for television and even one local channel is of great value. An installer could keep busy signal testing and installing when reception meets the needs of the customer.
Old 23-May-2015, 5:37 PM   #5
signals unlimited

Installers needed!

To date there are six in a row unanswered request for an installer around the country. I only wish that some of the folks that talk and write with such expertise on this forum would get out there and provide antenna service for those who so badly need REAL help.
Old 24-May-2015, 3:59 AM   #6
eggman531916

Not sure about this, but I think there's more than that.
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2015, 6:04 AM   #7
Stereocraig

Easier said, than done.

Back in my early years, I was doing an antenna install here and there, but soon tired of it.

I suppose if a person just happened to have all of the necessary tools and a vehicle for transporting a ladder, wasn't concerned w/ liability insurance, federal and state income taxes, sales tax, necessary permits etc, they may be able to make a go of it.

Everybody knows how, or knows somebody that can install their antenna, but for one reason or another, they call you.

They want the best reception possible, except for a few things.

They don't want the antenna outside, where neighbors, or their wife can see it, they don't want it to be seen from the street, they don't want two antennas, they don't want a rotor,they don't want a tower, they have trees that need to be trimmed back, they have rotting wood and mossy shingles. I'm sure there's more, but you get the point.

After all is said and done, they want you to do it for half price.

Sorry, but some people are just too difficult to squeeze a nickel out of, so I'll just continue as a hobbyist.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2015, 9:57 AM   #8
signals unlimited

I understand Stereocraigs position. Antennas are a great hobby!

At Signals Unlimited, we have a method of reaching out for quality customers wanting quality installations.