TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Jan-2017, 8:44 PM   #1
Horripillation

West of Memphis

Hello,

I live about 10 miles WNW of Memphis (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf24593877d4 ). I currently have Directv with 3 televisions. I also have Directv Now. I want to get rid of the satellite service but still need to get the local networks on all three televisions.

I hope to get the following channels listed in order of importance:

NBC - WMC - 5.1 (VHF-Lo)
CBS - WREG - 3.1 (UHF)
Fox - WHBQ - 13.1 (VHF-High)
ABC - WATN - 24.1 (UHF)
PBS - WKNO - 10.1 (UHF)
CW - WLMT - 30.1 (UHF)

I can mount an antenna in a 2nd story unfinished bonus room above my garage. It faces ENE at about 85° and has a window. It would be about 18' above ground with no tall structures or trees in sight.
I understand that anything below the roof is less than optimal, but its a risk I'm willing to take. If all else fails, I'll just keep the satellite service.

3 televisions with 30' - 50' runs.

I will also consider any indoor models as long as they would work in all three rooms. I can remember as a child (early '80s) having a television with the built-in rabbit ears being able to pick up channel 5 from further away than I am now but have no idea where their tower was then.

Thanks.

WMCTV recommends the following two antennas:
Indoors: GE 24734 Millennium HDTV TV Antenna - I ordered this as a long-shot. It should be here Monday evening.
Outdoors: Channel Master CM-3016

*I also posted on another forum while awaiting access to this one.

Last edited by Horripillation; 8-Jan-2017 at 8:50 PM.
Horripillation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
WIRELESS ENGINEER

The GE looks like a unamplified set of rabbit ears so I would expect that to work for one TV if the antenna is near a window and you get it adjusted right.

Due to reflections and near field interactions, a directional antenna would likely be more stable though

Since you need low and high vhf as well as UHF, a small combo antenna like the winegard HD7010 should do a fine job and pull in enough signal to feed all three TVs.

Warren electronics.com has them listed at $45.71
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Horripillation

The GE 24734 Millennium HDTV TV Antenna finally arrived yesterday. Hooked it up and scanned channels multiple times with the antenna in multiple configurations.

Could get all channels I wanted plus some reliably except for 5.1 and 13.1. Sometimes 13.1 would come in fine, but activity around the tv could easily disrupt it. Could not get 5.1 at all.

So, time to gather money and get motivated to order an outdoor antenna for the attic.
Old 11-Jan-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Either the CM3016 you proposed or the Winegard 7010 that WE suggested are suitbable choices. Those two are comparable models.

I'm not surprised that the GE didn't pick up your local channel 5 as it needs those long elements that the other two antennas have.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2017, 4:25 AM   #5
Horripillation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Either the CM3016 you proposed or the Winegard 7010 that WE suggested are suitbable choices. Those two are comparable models.

I'm not surprised that the GE didn't pick up your local channel 5 as it needs those long elements that the other two antennas have.
I didn't expect the GE to work on 5. I just had to try before spending the money. It would have been awful to set up the full system then find a neighbor happily watching with their GE I didn't even try. Plus the rabbit ears were much shorter than I imagined.

In a couple of weeks, I will probably get the CM3016 and a long coax. I bought a Holland Electronics 3-way splitter. I plan on running coax from antenna to my Directv box outside, into the splitter, then connect the 3 coax from the tv into it.

Some say I'll need a pre-amp, others say a power distribution amplifier, some say both, others say neither. So, I will start with just the splitter. I do not have any power outlets near the place I'm putting the antenna or the splitter box. So, if I need a powered option, I may have to bring in an electrician. Or use a light socket power outlet adaptor.

Anyway, it will probably be a couple of weeks. My next 2 weekends are booked.

Thanks.
Old 12-Jan-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
ADTech

Quote:
So, I will start with just the splitter.
A prudent choice. Be sure you remove any DirectTV-supplied devices such as their power inserter and their SWiM splitters or any other multi-switch from the line(s)

Quote:
I do nor have any power outlets near the place I'm putting the antenna or the splitter box
Don't need one there. Good distribution amps and all pre-amps allow for power to be supplied remotely via one of the output signal lines. Here's an app note I wrote a while back that still applies. https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...lations-V2.pdf I've also added a copy as an attachment, just click on the link below to download.

Power inserters are now available at Amazon among other places, just search for "amplifier power inserter" and several will pop up.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Last edited by ADTech; 12-Jan-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 13-Jan-2017, 6:49 AM   #7
Horripillation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
A prudent choice. Be sure you remove any DirectTV-supplied devices such as their power inserter and their SWiM splitters or any other multi-switch from the line(s)

Don't need one there. Good distribution amps and all pre-amps allow for power to be supplied remotely via one of the output signal lines. Here's an app note I wrote a while back that still applies. https://www.antennasdirect.com/cmss_...lations-V2.pdf I've also added a copy as an attachment, just click on the link below to download.

Power inserters are now available at Amazon among other places, just search for "amplifier power inserter" and several will pop up.
Great news about the power inserter. Thanks!

I've ordered the CM-3016 / coax / tripod stand.

Hopefully will find the time to install soon.

1/23/17 - Still haven't had time to install. Have antennae set-up. Just waiting for time on a dry day to finish work outside with wiring.

Last edited by Horripillation; 23-Jan-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 27-Jan-2017, 2:31 PM   #8
Horripillation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horripillation View Post
Great news about the power inserter. Thanks!

I've ordered the CM-3016 / coax / tripod stand.

Hopefully will find the time to install soon.

1/23/17 - Still haven't had time to install. Have antennae set-up. Just waiting for time on a dry day to finish work outside with wiring.
On Wednesday I hooked everything up. Received all the channels I wanted clearly except for some occasional pixelation on Channel 13. I then went to the splitter and unhooked the coax to TV's 2 and 3. Went back to TV 1 and everything cleared up.

This leads me to believe I need the distribution amplifier. Per @ADTech's suggestion, I've ordered a power inserter. I'd like some suggestions on a 4 port distribution amplifier.

Thanks!!!
Old 27-Jan-2017, 2:50 PM   #9
ADTech

You should not need additional amplification (it will likely cause NEW problems), you need to identify and resolve the fault that is specific to reception channel 13. Your channel 13 is calculated to be line of sight with a signal margin that should, once antenna gain is added, exceeds 50 dB. In plain linear numbers, that's 100,000 times more signal power than the tuner needs. If you amplify at all, you will boost all of the other signals, some into the range where they will likely overload either the amp or the tuner(s).

Common reasons for a single channel to be of poor reception strength or quality:

Antenna placement - partially blocked signal path, often exhibits as being specific to a single channel whether UHF or VHF.
Localized interference from electrical or electronic devices and wiring.
For VHF channels 4-13, strong FM signals. Requires some math and additional detective work to develop that theory.
Fault in a cable or in-line device that causes it to "suck out" a particular frequency or set thereof. Worn-out female F-connectors or coax center conductors that are a bit too short are a common faults.

You can try a four-port amp like the one we carry and give it a shot. It won't overload internally, but it's not possible to be assured that the same won't happen downstream.

Last edited by ADTech; 27-Jan-2017 at 2:52 PM.
Old 27-Jan-2017, 3:25 PM   #10
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

As ADTech mentioned, your signals are very strong, and you shouldn't need a distribution amp, but your test seems to indicate that you do.

If your antenna is mounted inside, the signals could be weaker than listed on the report.

The signals from my indoor antenna are about 20 dB weaker than my report.

Where is your antenna located?

Is it aimed at 94 degrees magnetic?

If it is inside, is it aimed at a wall or out a window?

An FM signal report based on an estimate of your location:

http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/4...1/Radar-FM.png

If electrical interference was causing a problem for 13, it would probably also affect 5. You can listen for electrical interference on an AM portable radio tuned to an unused frequency at the low 540 end or the high 1600 end of the dial.

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Jan-2017 at 7:20 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2017, 6:18 PM   #11
ADTech

Quote:
If electrical interference was causing a problem for 13, it would probably also affect 5.
Maybe, but maybe not. Lot's of possibilities.

The AM radio tip is a good one to try, it may yield clues to the issue.

Old 26-Mar-2017, 2:08 PM   #12
Horripillation

Last weekend, I finally unhooked all DTV equipment and connected antenna to all three tvs. Works perfectly!

All local channels come in clear.

All I used was the antenna and 3 way splitter.

You guys have been wonderful. Thank You!!!!!
Old 26-Mar-2017, 3:12 PM   #13
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the update; glad that it is working well for you.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote