TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 27-Jun-2011, 3:16 AM   #1
JEM

Question Lost HD OTA Channels in Central CT

I have an RCA ANT3036WR mounted 5' above an Eagle Aspen ROTR100. The antenna is mounted 26' off the ground secured to a gable mount on the back of my 2 car detached garage. I am running 2 RG6 100' cables to the antenna and rotator. They terminate at the EA control box and a SAMSUNG OTA HDTV tuner model#SIR-T451. I used to get both ABC channels 8.1New Haven & 40.1 Springfield. Also I used to get Springfield channels for PBS 57.1 & 22.1.
I don't get any of these any more. I am wondering if I should get a pre-amp, a new antenna or both. I was looking into getting a thrust bearing and a larger pipe mount to enable me to use a larger antenna without stressing out the Eagle Aspen rotor. I was looking into the Wingard HD8200U or the HD7698P antennas connected up to a Wineguad AP-8275. I am also open to using a dedicated VHF and separate UHF antenna connected via a CM7777, but I want to try incrimental steps first. I just want to get back the stations I lost and maybe add a few in the process. Would adding 10' of height help? or what will be the easiest fix to help me. Please see my TVfool map for my location info.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is my map:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d9247f8cedce
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2011, 4:12 AM   #2
JEM

I forgot to mention 2 important things. First off the antenna took a fall to the ground and has one of the larger legs not perpendicular to the center beam. It is close, but not "Factory" like the others. This didn't seem to effect the performance of the antenna when it happened 4 years ago. The other is that I have both cables going to a dual grounding block that is tied to a 8' copper clad grounding rod via #6 solid copper wire. The location of the grounding block is at the base of the mast area by the gabel mount on the back of the garage. The length of the RG6 going to the antenna from the grounding block is about 12'.
Old 27-Jun-2011, 8:14 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

A few things to check before spending money on parts that were not needed previously...

Has water gotten into the coax or matching transformer? (All connections with exposure to the weather are suspect.) - - - Replace wet coax, it will never be reliable even if you could dry it.

Has the antenna been inspected for corrosion or failed connections at the element/phase-line junctions and matching transformer/phase-line connection block? - - - Replacement of the antenna would be indicated.

Is there a relationship between the signals disappearing and trees putting on leafs? - - - Additional height may help... or change of location to avoid aiming into trees. Failing that, a higher gain antenna may be indicated.

You are describing symptoms of time in the weather taking it's toll on the antenna, coax and connectors.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 27-Jun-2011 at 10:44 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2011, 1:41 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

You indicate that both coax terminate at the eagle aspen control box. If one coax is connected to the antenna , then connect that coax directly to the Samsung tuner. Are , WCTX , WHPX , WEDY being received??
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2011, 2:34 PM   #5
JEM

Let me clarify, one RG6 runs from the Eagle aspen control box located under our TV inside the house to the dual grounding block by the antenna then just to the rotator. The other RG6 runs from the antenna to the dual grounding block, then into the house input into a 12db Channel Vision distrubution amp inside a structured media cabinet then out ending at the Samsung SR-T451 HD tuner. I tried it with and without the 12db amp and with and without the amp built into the Eagle Aspen Rotator. I lost channels with the Eagle Aspen, and without using the Channel Vision Amp. So I am using the Channel Vision 12db amp. I lost the channels with this setup, nothing else has changed. It seems like I am loosing signal from line loss due to the long run to the antenna from the house, but also I think the antenna itself might be limited in its ability to pull in the Springfield channels and the New Haven Channels. I presently get Digital Channels 3,18,20,24,30,61, that is it. I used to get channel 57,22,40 & 10 in addition to the afore mentioned. I do not presently get 57,22,40&10. I hope this helps. Thanks.
Old 27-Jun-2011, 3:19 PM   #6
John Candle

Here is a review of the Samsung SIRT-451 from 2006 by http://reviews.cnet.com/tv-hdtv-tune...-31127841.html . I suggest try a new tuner. Like one of these , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=380 , or posability of a new Tv.

Last edited by John Candle; 28-Jun-2011 at 8:33 PM.
Old 28-Jun-2011, 1:36 AM   #7
JEM

"A few things to check before spending money on parts that were not needed previously...

Has water gotten into the coax or matching transformer? (All connections with exposure to the weather are suspect.) - - - Replace wet coax, it will never be reliable even if you could dry it.

Has the antenna been inspected for corrosion or failed connections at the element/phase-line junctions and matching transformer/phase-line connection block? - - - Replacement of the antenna would be indicated.

Is there a relationship between the signals disappearing and trees putting on leafs? - - - Additional height may help... or change of location to avoid aiming into trees. Failing that, a higher gain antenna may be indicated.

You are describing symptoms of time in the weather taking it's toll on the antenna, coax and connectors."

At the connectors I have used dielectric grease with rubber boots when possible to keep out any weather. I have not got ontop of the Garage lately to closely inspect the antenna, but nothing is hanging from it visibly. As far as the trees go.... well winter/summer same problem.
I used to get all the channels with the SR-T451 when I first got it 6 years ago. I like it because I get 1080i or 720p when they have sporting events. I still have a "tube" HD set. It is a Samsung Tantus set that has 1080i and is still crisp. The channels I get now are :3.1 thru 3.4, 18.1 thru 18.4,20.1&20.2,
24.1 thru 24.4, 30.1 thru 30.3,61.1&61.2. I used to get 57.1 thru 57.3, 40.1,22.1,10.1.
I used the Eagle Aspen because I have(2) RG6 Run to the antenna, I forgot to run 3 wire rotor wire.... So the EA has its own cable that connects from the rotator to the control box via a dual grounding isolator at the antenna. The other wire goes from the Antenna directly to the isolator and from there goes to a Channel Master 12dB distribution amp inside the house. That amp then presently outputs directly to the Samsung HD Tuner. The length of that run is about 20'. The run from the isolator to the Channel Master is about 75-100' and the final run to the antenna is about 12' long. All are compression RG6 fittings on RG6 quad shielded wire. Part of the run is buried inside CPVC pipe from the Garage to the house. Other than that the only wire that is outside is about 3' to the isolator and the 12' to the antenna. The rest is inside a structure.
I took a look at the CM7000PAL, it looks nice but is $$$ and it seems a hit or a miss quality wise. I would like to keep that as a last option if posible.
Any other Ideas?
Old 30-Jun-2011, 5:19 AM   #8
John Candle

I received your P.M. . I know that you want to install a new antenna , however I am not convinced that the problem is your antenna, The ANT3036WR is a big honk'n antenna with plenty of receiving power. As a 'test' I suggest connect a new clean and dry matching transformer --> (no dielectric grease) to the antenna and a single run of plain RG-6U coax --> (no dielectric grease) from the antenna direct to the samsung tuner and see what is received. Then connect the same 'test' coax to the distribution amplifier and see what is received. If you will like to replace the antenna then I suggest a Winegard HD7698P antenna. The Winegard HD7698P UHF / VHF High band antenna is the strongest heavy dutyest highest gain UHF / VHF high band antenna you can buy. If the HD7698P antenna does not solve the situation then you will know that it is not the antenna.
Old 30-Jun-2011, 5:48 AM   #9
John Candle

Read and understand about , REAL Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Broadcast Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695. Also here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Also you can call the Tv stations that you are not receiving and talk with the engineering department , ask all kinds of questions , here are some , has there been any changes to the transmitted power?? Has the beam tilt of transmitter antennas been changed so the signal does not go out as far?? Has the pattern of the transmitted signal been changed so that I would be less likley to receive at my location?? Ask the engineering department what they think about the non reception at your location. The reception problems might due to interference.