TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Feb-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
rickw@networksplus.net

Shopping list for a Simple Installation

Hello,

I am looking for a simple shopping list and assembly instructions. The more I read the more I am confused by the directions and what hardware to buy. Currently I have a RCA indoor antenae and get all the local Topeka channels. I do have to reposition it to get the abc station.

Here is the link for my Radar in Topeka KS

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0177deffbfc

My neighbor had a 40 ft tower antenae that would reliably pull in the Kansas City stations so I am hopeful I will have the same results at my house. It is now removed and she doesn't know anything about what it was. I would like to use a Chimney mount and go as high as safely possible without any extra suporting cables.

I would like to recieve as many of the channels listed as possible; affordably. $200.00 or less, but if great performance increase could be had for a little more I may add on later if possible.

Details:
a)Chimney mount, how high on a mast in Kansas Winds? Preferred mounting Hardware? Not to use supporting Cables
b)What antenna/antennas using one mast, rotator?
c) What wire, premade or cut it myself?
d) Splitters/amplifiers?
e) direction to aim?

One primary TV is to get the signal 90% of the time, next to the fireplace/chimney shortest cable run
1 of 2 OTHER TV's is in the basement below main TV (another floor down)
2nd of 2 other TV's at the other end of the house propably 90 ft of cable run from a splitter.

So currently I have 3 TV's I need to to supply signal, I will probably add another TV if possible. So I will need a splitter to support that. Unless it will dramatically reduce my available signal then I will add to it later. I would like to run the wires and splitters through my attic. If this is to vague I will try to clarify any needed questions. Thank you to any for advice.

Last edited by rickw@networksplus.net; 21-Feb-2015 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typos
rickw@networksplus.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Kansas City market signals will require a bit more budget than you're indicating.

For the local Topeka market, an RCA ANT751R pointed at about 220° (compass) should do very well. Most of the signals are quite strong, so resist the temptation to add any amplification.

RG-6 coax (double shielded) is available at the big box home centers in bulk and various lengths with factory installed connectors. If you own the tools for stripping cable and installing compression connectors, and you are confident that you can get good results every time, then buy bulk cable... Otherwise the factory assembled cable will cost less and be one less thing to wonder about if you need to trouble shoot a problem later.

Measure the circumference of your chimney. That will determine the length of straps needed when spec'ing a chimney mount.

Splitting shouldn't cost too much, the Ideal brand #85-132 is less than $5 at Amazon and Home Depot right now. For basic OTA TV reception, there's no need for satellite grade splitters.

Please consider grounding also. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901 post #20 is a summary.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2015, 3:52 AM   #3
rickw@networksplus.net

Thank you for the quick answers. I was hoping Kansas City market would come cheap. How much more than my budget? Maybe my frugality is unrealistic but if money was not a factor in getting the KC stations what antenna or items could reliably recieve those channels. Would I have a conflict with local stations and to powerful of an antenna?

I am on the upper part of a hill near the Kansas River. I've been told that people near the river sometimes catch a break with KC channels because of little elevation change between here and Kansas City and the signal traveling up the the banks. I didn't even think about necessity to ground, again thank you, I like to err on the side of safety.

My chimney is a three flew type and about 30 ft in circumference, have not found a kit that comes that long. I am sure I can cobble something together to surround the chimney but does that mean I can attach a thirty foot pole with an antenna and no support cables? We often have high winds. Thank you again
Old 22-Feb-2015, 4:21 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

If you are able to space the upper and lower strap/bracket assemblies about 2' to 3' apart, a 10' section of TV antenna mast or chain-link fence top rail can be safely held... Certainly with a compact antenna such as the ANT751R. In recent years, I've used top rail and 1" IMC conduit on antenna installations.

30' is larger than most masonry chimneys, but check http://www.3starinc.com/chimney_mounts_1.html You may need to consider using two kits in tandem. If the chimney is a wood framed structure, consider using wall brackets.

If I was to go after the KC signals, I'd consider an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713 + preamp (Antennas Direct 'Juice' plus separate UHF/VHF combiner, or RCA TVPRAMP1R). The DB8E would face 90° per a real compass and the Y10713 would point at 42° (both are starting aim points, always fine tune for optimum overall reception reliability).

Both of the antennas just mentioned are rather directional... But they will have limited reception capability off the rear... Only after fine tuning the KC aim would you know for sure if the local signals would be reliably revived via the rear of the KC facing system.

If you need/want to, a premium solution would involve two independent antenna systems, the large combination aimed at KC, and separate ANT751R serving the Topeka market. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

Old 22-Feb-2015, 4:35 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

All stations in Kansas City are UHF. That channel 7 is from St Joe. I'd consider it optional.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Feb-2015, 2:36 PM   #6
rickw@networksplus.net

Is the Antenna Craft Y10713 for strictly receiving channel 7 from St Joe? ADTech is leading me to think so.

If it is for that one channel would it better to go with the ANT751R to ensure solid local reception? It sounds like I will need the DB8E for sure. and if I get the Antenna Craft Y10713 maybe I'll get adequate Topeka coverage too. If I gamble with the Antenna Craft and don't get 7 can I spin it around and get use it for the local stations? Is there a possiblity of having too strong of a signal?

I do have two chimneys but would I have to mount the antennas at seperate ends of the house? I drove around and did not find a single roof antenna within 1 mile of my house, and don't want to appear too.. something. I am relucatant to put 3 antennas or two masts on my roof or spend the extra money on three antennas. I appreciate the answers. It is 12 degrees outside and I will probably keep asking questions and being non committal till I feel comfortable with what I want or it warms up enough that I can install.
Old 23-Feb-2015, 3:53 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Is the Antenna Craft Y10713 for strictly receiving channel 7 from St Joe? ADTech is leading me to think so.
Correct... sort of. The Y10713 is designed to receive real CH-7 through CH-13. It also offers gain and directivity that would be needed for the distant KQTV signal. If KQTV is not a high priority to you, then skip the Y10713.

If you want to have a mix of Topeka and KC signals, it's not likely that you would successfully combine the UHF DB8E output with the UHF output of the ANT-751. Some folks get lucky, using a reversed splitter to merge two antennas into a common feed, but that more often results in less reliable reception overall due to the antennas acting as interference sources to one another.

I'd start with the local signals using the ...751R. It's compact and the signals should be much easier to receive reliably. I'd have very little hope or expectation of it receiving any KC or St Joe signal reliably even if pointed in that direction.

If you still want to go after the KC signals, be prepared to treat that antenna as a fully separate system with the possible exception of a shared mast.