TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Mar-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
abacotc

Antenna recommendations?

Here is my analysis http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f01e5c7c7b57

I am looking for antenna recommendations! I am looking to pick up all the basic stations from Boston which are about 60.6 miles away and all at 199 degs. What recommendations can you provide. Also attic mount, or chimney mount? I have had enough of Comcast. Thanks in advance!
abacotc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
timgr

Hi -

Forget attic mount. Boston signals are too weak at your location to make an indoors antenna feasible.

All the major Boston stations are UHF, and I do fine with an Antennas Direct DB8e. I can receive WENH reliably from my location (with another antenna - an Antennacraft Y10713), but due to the angle, I think it's unlikely that you will pick up the local stations at compass heading 293 from a DB8e pointed at Boston. You have no interest in the NH stations?

It would be helpful to run your TVFR with a more accurate location. You can locate yourself interactively using the "Start MAPS" on the top page, if your street address does not work well. You could also try it at different heights - having the data for a higher antenna location may be helpful, even if you aren't contemplating a 50' tower.

Chimney mount is one way to proceed. There are lots of different mounting options, including gable brackets, roof mounts, tripods, chimney brackets, etc. The mount is not so important as having a clear air view to the horizon in the direction of the transmitters you are going after. Trees and buildings in the way will make reception much worse.

Last edited by timgr; 17-Mar-2015 at 9:57 AM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2015, 2:28 PM   #3
abacotc

So you do not think I will pick up the Boston stations? NH only has ABC and PBS. Not good enough for my needs.

Here is the analyst with my address and a 30' height
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f040a57badbc

Thanks for the input!
abacotc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2015, 3:28 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Please use the accurate method above to get a precise location, then post a new link.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Mar-2015, 5:45 PM   #5
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacotc View Post
So you do not think I will pick up the Boston stations? NH only has ABC and PBS. Not good enough for my needs.
To get any Boston stations, you will need a sensitive UHF antenna pointed at compass direction 214. The antenna will need to be outdoors in clear air, with no obstructions between it and the horizon. Stations with single digit noise margin should be viewable with a large antenna, but reception could be challenging even with ideal conditions.

With the antenna pointed at 214, you won't be pointing at the the NH stations. WPXG is UHF, but close to 90 degrees from the aim of your Boston channels and will be hard to receive pointed that way. What local channels would you like to receive? You might want to wait and see what Boston stations you can get, and then fill in any missing channels with another antenna pointed at a NH affiliate.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote