TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Reception Devices

Notices

Old 23-Apr-2017, 2:54 AM   #1
analogqueen

analog TVs & recording, & Roku: Possible!

Have a Curtis-Mathes 1986 model M2585RW (25"). It is analogue, to view digital TV one uses one of the digital-analog converters. When our CATV co. was still providing some content in analog via coax to TV, I could record any programming with an analogue VCR. They've gone all digital now, but- you CAN record OTA/broadcast live TV now using a VCR, if you change the digital b'casts to analog using the converter. Thusly:

your antenna coax line TO digi-analog box then TO VCR then TO tv. Your converter box must be on the channel/program you wish to record (which really goes without saying)

I have the analogue in one room of the house- and a Roku player. I connected the Roku to the analogue TV on a whim, using the red-yellow-white plug in RCA connectors, and voila I get the Roku screen. I lost my Roku remote! I cannot press any selections on the Roku box, it has none- so I'm off to attempting an All In One remote to work with it (will let u know) til I get another Roku remote.

So.... if I can "VCR" ota broadcasting.... I will keep in touch. I am almost AFRAID to post my results re: recording off the R O Ku. I am sure most of you forum members can think of at least one reason why.

Well I hopefully shall keep you all posted on my results.

So Far- you MAY and CAN record live TV using a VCR these days, IF you have a digi- to analog box converter.

This was my point

2nd Point: connecting a 1st gen Roku receiver to an analogue TV using the RCA connections CAN be done AND viewed on TV.

3rd point: Can content/programming on the Rokyu be recorded using analogue VCR? We'll See!

We shall find out Monday or later, as no remote I own will program a Roku streaming device, so I ordered a new Roku remote.

Sunday 1:16PM Central Time

Found original remote. Roku is working, and shows programming on analogue TV, using RCA connex.

So.... the data transmitted is in analogue.... there is your answer.

Watching "Still Game" BBC Scotland original programming, hilarious comedy show, I advise setting it to English sub-titles, even if you can understand the Scottish brogue as it is too easy to miss a word here and there. Makes it much more fun if you can hear and see the words. Brilliant and hilarious program!

Cheers.

Last edited by analogqueen; 23-Apr-2017 at 8:20 PM. Reason: UpDate
analogqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2017, 2:16 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Any analog VCR can record any content from any input source PROVIDED:

A) One uses the RF input on channel 3/4 (if the output device also has that output) or

B) If the VCR can record the RCA (A/V) inputs and the output device also supports the same.

Of course, the user convenience/functionality will be on par with a VCR from 1982 in that the user has to have everything set up for recording ahead of time or they must manually execute the recording.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2017, 9:18 PM   #3
analogqueen

Yes, correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Any analog VCR can record any content from any input source PROVIDED:

A) One uses the RF input on channel 3/4 (if the output device also has that output) or

B) If the VCR can record the RCA (A/V) inputs and the output device also supports the same.

Of course, the user convenience/functionality will be on par with a VCR from 1982 in that the user has to have everything set up for recording ahead of time or they must manually execute the recording.
That's right- that wasn't the source of my surprise, it was the possibility one can record off of a Roku player these days, with all the digital stuff, it's become MORE difficult to record programming, I think. In olden days, one simply hit RECORD or programmed the vcr ahead of time to record future programs. Nowadays it is Tivo, or a hard drive, and with DMCA one can't just up and record anything they see on the TV.

I bet if you ask a random person of they can record off of the Roku they won't know or claim it can't be done. Most people also don't own a VCR now.

My user name reflects my hobby, which is analogue equipment. I don't have a large hoard, just items I like and use: radios, telephones, TVs, cameras, etc. I was surprised the Roku would work with the old TV, assuming (wrongly) that it was digital somehow.

cheers Thanks AdTech
Old 24-Apr-2017, 2:37 AM   #4
ADTech

DRM cannot be implemented on the analog outputs of the streaming device (or other output device), that restriction is going to be only on the HDMI port.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 24-Apr-2017, 4:06 AM   #5
analogqueen

Exactly

Quote:
DRM cannot be implemented on the analog outputs of the streaming device (or other output device), that restriction is going to be only on the HDMI port.
it can't be put out on the analogue outputs! It isn't possible. I should have written that but I didn't want to explain every step- but thanks for your replies. I wanted to post my experiment to help others, who may want to record things, and may not know it's possible. You would be surprised how many people don't know a thing about TV, antennas, etcetera When I was working help desk at a CATV/internet/VoIP call center (never get telephone svc thru your cable co. if it connects to an MTA i.e. "cable phone") I was surprised at the number of regular folks who assumed you HAD to have CATV just to get ordinary TV. They actually would argue that it is not possible to get TV over the air and not because they were too far from the transmitter, they literally thought it was not possible at all to receive it (without cable tv svcs).

The topic of analogue vs digital is an interesting topic to me and I appreciate your inputs and replies. Thank you.
Old 24-Apr-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
ADTech

Quote:
You would be surprised how many people don't know a thing about TV, antennas, etcetera
No, I wouldn't be a bit surprised, I've been doing this for years.

You have to keep in mind that there is a whole generation, almost two, that have been raised on cable TV since cable proliferated in the 80s.

Oh, and BTW, I recall seeing in the last year or so that Funai, the last remaining manufacturer of VCRs, was discontinuing production due to insufficient demand. I don't recall the exact dates, but I expect that the halt in production has already taken place.

Good luck!

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Apr-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 25-Apr-2017, 3:21 AM   #7
analogqueen

Quote:
No, I wouldn't be a bit surprised, I've been doing this for years.

You have to keep in mind that there is a whole generation, almost two, that have been raised on cable TV since cable proliferated in the 80s.

Oh, and BTW, I recall seeing in the last year or so that Funai, the last remaining manufacturer of VCRs, was discontinuing production due to insufficient demand. I don't recall the exact dates, but I expect that the halt in production has already taken place.

Good luck!
Well, I did support for ten years. That was enough of it for me. If one is not careful it can drive one to drink.

Interesting about Funai, I own one of their basic models, the other VCR I have is JVC S7800U/UC "Compulink" - don't let the "Compu" impress you, it's nothing to do with computing.
I'm sure you've seen this video of the Finnish guy's VCR collection? There was a meme going for a while of his haircut and he had semi-fame for a while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

That is a thought- an entire generation, raised on CATV. I myself miss UHF a lot. I also miss TV dxing- or, just being able to receive a station without it going out due to a tiny loss of signal. All or nothing! that's digital for you. The air waves are supposed to be ours, the public, and every time I read my morning emails there's another chunk of bandwidth going up for bid.

I enjoy your replies AdTech Ive been out of the loop for some time since I quit support and sales.