TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Apr-2015, 3:06 PM   #1
t_n_johnson

Solutions for Walnut Creek, CA

We cut the cord a couple of years ago and have been streaming with Amazon and Hulu, and we plan to add Netflix. The only thing we really miss is the local news and sports...I really wanted to watch the Masters last weekend and have been planning to install an antenna since we dropped DirectTV, so I went to Fry's and got an RCA ANT751 which produced pretty mediocre results. I returned it.

Having not done my research in my initial haste, I decided to do some digging and now realize that I will likely need a couple of antennas and probably a pre-amp. I plan to use a splitter to connect two TV's. My question is: What is the ideal combo of antennas and preamp? I am planning to install at about 15', but could go a little higher if it will make a significant difference. Here is my signal report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f018cd5daa5b

Thanks for any help that anyone can give!
t_n_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2015, 4:44 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Which direction was the antenna aimed and what were some of the specific results?

Which city's market is desired? SF or Sacramento? Will you accept the other, if needed?

Does your proposed mounting location offer a nice clear view toward either direction? Which, if any?

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2015, 5:02 PM   #3
t_n_johnson

I got my best results with the antenna aimed at about 225-230 magnetic (SF Stations). I didn't get any of the majors except KTVU, but that was even hit and miss. I got a few of the KQED stations, KRCB, KTNC, KKPX, etc...lots of junk.

I tried aiming at Sac but didn't get much either.

I really want to get the major networks, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. I like PBS as well. I don't necessarily have a preference between Sac and SF. I have a pretty clear shot at both locations. There is a tree at about 215-220.
Old 19-Apr-2015, 2:36 AM   #4
t_n_johnson

ADTech, any thoughts?

I am thinking the Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V Long Range UHF/VHF...maybe with their PA18 UHF/VHF preamp since I am planning to use a splitter...???

Last edited by t_n_johnson; 19-Apr-2015 at 2:46 AM.
Old 19-Apr-2015, 2:15 PM   #5
ADTech

You are probably going to need a lot more antenna and you cannot use the PA18 in this location due to overload potential from KNTV.

Please send me your precise and confirmed GPS coordinated by PM and I'll look closely at your situation. The TVFool plot lacks a lot of the information I rely on in order to perform my analysis.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 21-Apr-2015, 3:55 PM   #6
ADTech

Sorry for the delay, I did get a chance to review your situation and location this morning.

Sacramento is much more difficult, so let's focus on San Francisco.

First off, look for a line of sight that allows the signals to pass by, not through, the trees immediately across the street. The UHF signals, in particular, will be weak after traveling over the mountains and tree foliage is likely to make them unusable by any antenna, no matter what. You can use the online/interactive maps feature to investigate potential line of sight issues. Switch to the satellite view and turn on the lines to transmitters, then move the balloon around on your virtual rooftop and observe carefully where the green lines fall on the image as compared to your actual view from your rooftop.

If you want to try one of our antennas that's easily available at a local retail store, I'd suggest the ClearStream 4V, available exclusively at Best Buy stores. The math says it ought to work, practical experience says it may if you are patient in finding a good spot. You'll probably need a taller/longer/different mast than the compact 20" one that comes in the box. Do not drill any holes in your roof until you have satisfactorily proven reception.

If you have a Fry's nearby, pick up an RCA preamplifier, it's the best you're going to do in any retail store that I know of. My first choice would be our Juice, but you would have to order it.

Cheers!