TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Apr-2014, 1:28 PM   #1
flipmode22

New Member - Help with Reception!!!

Hello all, I'm so glad I found this group. Like many of you I'm in the process of cutting the cord. I have purchased the following equipment below. Currently I receive most UHF type channels, however I have difficulty in receiving the VHF HI. I got lucky one day and aimed the antenna at the sweetspot and received the 2 VHF Channels (CBS and abc). That setup was from antenna to amp then tv.

Im planning on connecting 3 more tvs via splitter but I know this will reduce the signals greatly. Also, what it the best way to ground the antenna? Any advice to getting a better reception is greatly appreciated. I also included the link to my analysis below.

RCA ANT751 (located on roof about 20ft of the ground)

RCA TVPRAMP1R Out Antenna PreAmp

50ft coax from antenna to the splitter. Add another 30-40ft of coax from splitter to tv.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6668044b282
flipmode22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2014, 2:00 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

First, verify that the input switch on the amp is set to "Combined" and that the FM filter is "On" or "In".

Then, look at the antenna mounting location with a critical eye, looking in particular for proximity to nearby metal objects that are horizontal or diagonal relative to the antenna in front of or near it. Look to see if your signal must pass through nearby power lines or if there are nearby power transformers as both have a tendency to put out interference that interferes with weak VHF signals (your VHF signals are very, very weak).

You've got a lot of FM stations in your city and their signals are probably 50 dB stronger than the VHF signals from DC. An external FM filter between the antenna and amp (in addition to the internal filter) may be needed. Radio Shack 15-0024, about $5, available in most stores. It's a cheap diagnostic that will either fix the problem or eliminate FM interference as a possibility.

Beyond that, look for other sources of local RFI such as electrical or electronic devices in or near the home including lighting products (compact and standard fluorescent lighting, LEDs, dimmers, solar power or other outdoor items), computers, laptops and power supplies, microwaves, solar-powered security or lighting products, plant grow lamps, aquarium heaters, timers, and even the TV set(s) themselves have been implicated in causing RFI into the VHF band.

Based on your plot, there is very little VHF signal likely to be available at your location. You will likely need to step up your game with a much higher gain VHF antenna to improve your odds. Do check the other stuff first as, if one or more of those conditions exists and is left undiagnosed and uncorrected, a larger, higher gain antenna will likely suffer the same difficulties.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Apr-2014 at 2:48 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2014, 2:38 PM   #3
flipmode22

Thank you AD. I will check on your suggestions. How do I ground the antenna?
Old 24-Apr-2014, 2:44 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

See http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

Post #20 has specifics.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 24-Apr-2014 at 2:49 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2014, 4:50 PM   #5
teleview

+=>

Upgrade the antenna to , www.antennacraft.net .

HBU44 antenna aimed at about 36 degree magnetic compas direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a cell phone compass.

Install the antenna Anove the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the roof and building do not , obstruct , impede , block , reception in the directions of , North , North East , South , West.

----------

Install the RCA preamp.

----------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

For 4 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-4D , 4 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , HFS-4D , splitters at , www.hollandelectronics.com , or , www.amazon.com .

-------------

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

-----------------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the HBU44 antenna at a location that has least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and building.
Old 25-Apr-2014, 1:33 PM   #6
flipmode22

Thanks all for the suggestions. Along with the equipment I previously listed I plan on adding an FM external filter between the antenna and the amp (recommended by ADtech). I also plan on purchasing the Channel Master 3414 to replace my current 4 way splitter and to feed 4 other tv lines. Is this overkill or am I on the right path? I just want to ensure Im purchasing the right equipment that are usable. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 25-Apr-2014, 2:39 PM   #7
teleview

+=>

If RCA preamp is connected do not use distribution amplifier.

If the distribution amplifier is connected then disconnect and remove all parts of the RCA preamp , remove the preamp unit , remove the power injector / power supply.
Old 25-Apr-2014, 5:33 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

I would certainly try this with just the RCA preamp. Only if you have some long runs of cable would I think a distribution amplifier be needed.

The need for more than one amplifier is not common.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:00 PM   #9
flipmode22

Teleview can the HBU44 antenna be used in the attic?
Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:05 PM   #10
flipmode22

Im also looking into DB8e Extreme Range Multi-Directional Bowtie UHF Antenna since I can only pick up certain stations from north and south. For instance if I point the antenna north I can pick up NBC but not ABC and vice versa when I point south. For my situation Is it worth the money to invest in this multidirectional antenna? Thanks.
Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:42 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

The HBU series antennas can be used in attics if there's enough room. You'll want to measure beforehand. Having said all that, I wouldn't expect to get satisfactory results with any attic installation given a signal report such as yours. I'd fly my antennas in the clear air above my roof.

The DB8E is a very capable and versatile UHF only antenna. It's compact and may be easier to fit in an attic (if you want to try)... But you'll not likely see WJLA or WUSA (real channels 7 & 9) unless you also install an antenna with H-VHF (real channels 7 through 13) capability. The Antennacraft Y10713 would be the antenna I would pair with the DB8E in this case. The Y10713 is ten feet long so the combination of the two antennas will consume a lot of attic space.

I'd opt for the 'premium' system... A DB8E + Y10713 + TVPRAMP1R, it gives you greater flexibility as you fine tune aim point. The two can be located on the same mast if it's a 10' mast or chain-link fencing top-rail. I'd put the UHF antenna at the top and the H-VHF at roughly the mid point. (Outdoors in the clear)

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Apr-2014 at 3:46 PM.
Old 28-Apr-2014, 3:51 PM   #12
flipmode22

My other option I was thinking about is to purchase another RCAANT 751 and point it south to receive abc. Will this work and what equipment do I need to combine all the stations together (north and south)? Overall, I plan on using one coax connected to HD Homerun Dual and broadcast over the net. Any advise will be helpful.
Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:00 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Add a second HDHR, terminate the second antenna in the second HDHR. I have had great success running my four HDHR units... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:05 PM   #14
tomfoolery

I don't know what the gain figures are for UHF with the 741, but the similar HBU11 is around 5dB +/-, and the DB8e is around 10dB +/- with the two panels facing 180 degrees apart, so I would think that you could aim each panel towards the two clumps of transmitters and still get higher gain than you have now. Each panel is basically a DB4e (about 13dB gain +/-), but combined and facing away from each other as they did with the DB8e they have less, but still twice what a single 741 has. Combining two 741's into the same tuner would reduce the gain of both, I would think, so going with something professionally made for that purpose would seem to be the best solution. From where I sit, of course. Add the h-vhf antenna if you need it, as GUM suggested, aimed at 36 deg. magnetic, for the best of all worlds.

DB8e data sheet page 8

DB4e data sheet page 2

HBU11 data sheet
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:18 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Your TV Fool report suggests that the ANT-751 is simply too small for your application.

Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:19 PM   #16
flipmode22

GUM, wouldnt it be cheaper and easier to purchase a combiner for both antennas rather than purchasing another HDHR?
Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:22 PM   #17
flipmode22

GUM what is a good antenna for my situation? I will need to install in the attic.
Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:25 PM   #18
GroundUrMast

A tuned filter type combiner that would allow you to insert one channel from an auxiliary antenna into the main feed from a primary antenna exists... tinlee.com still makes the AC7 and charges about $125 + tax + S&H.

You can try a common 2-way splitter connected in reverse... but there will be no filtering to prevent negative interactions between the two antennas or cancel the weak off aim reflected signals from one antenna that will behave as multipath interference to the other antenna. It works in some cases, but most folks have one or more problem channels as a result.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 28-Apr-2014 at 4:34 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 28-Apr-2014, 4:32 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

If you have no choice but to use the attic, you're starting at a distinct disadvantage. Use a larger antenna than your TVFR would suggest. The HBU-55 and Winegard HD7698P are single antenna solutions. The DB8E + Y10713 is a great combination.

If this is a case of 'WAF' (wife approval factor) I hope she will come to 'see the light' (or the TV signal in this case). If this is an HOA rule issue, the FCC is on you side... You have the right to install and use an antenna to receive OTA TV signals. The HOA rules are not enforceable (and they no doubt know it). http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

Old 28-Apr-2014, 5:41 PM   #20
flipmode22

Any ideas on Antennas Direct C5 ClearStream 5 High Gain Digital VHF Antenna will work for my situation?