TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Sep-2014, 4:17 AM   #1
idk

wausau, wi antenna recommendation????

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243f447507a08

*http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243b53c943775

Tvfool report links above. 1st one is at 25 ft as an estimate and second one is at 0 ft. I can not get fox in at all. I did hook up my indoor antenna rca ant 1251 outside on a cloudy but not rainy day pointing somewhat north maybe a bit n.e. and recieved nbc from rhinelander 27.1, 27.2 and eau claire 13.1,13.2, and 13.3 but still no fox 55.

I am looking to get nbc rhinelander and fox 55 wausau. All other local channels come in perfect without an antenna hooked up to tv.

I was thinking I could remove part the dish network assembly that is installed on roof and use that as my base for antenna. It is located almost to the top of roof just off to the north. No other possibilities for installing antenna outdoors is available. Attic might be option, however, if I install where dish was, I already will have coax running into the house, which gives me options to hookup to multiple tvs in house easily and coax is already grounded. Install is more for one room maybe two if it works well enough but not necessary.

Considering I was able to get these nbc channels and fox is suppose to be local to me, I imagine I do not need a large antenna, however, If I am able to get more channels from eau claire or green bay, lets just say price is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help in choosing the right antenna for my area and wishes.

Last edited by idk; 28-Sep-2014 at 4:32 AM. Reason: add additional rvfool report
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 5:25 AM   #2
StephanieS

Hello idk,

Using your existing dish mount would be a workable here, presuming it is a J-Pole to mount outdoors.

FOX and ION are going to be your most difficult as you have observed. On the plus side CBS, ABC and PBS have smoking signals at your location. This means you can point away from them and likely still receive them even though they are high-VHF.

If I were installing, I'd mount an Antennas Direct DB8e on the J-pole. Be careful to make sure the J pole is strongly mounted and tightened down. Also, how are you with line of sight and trees? These can affect signals greatly.

For the DB8e - I would orientate one panel to magnetic heading 184, with the second panel pointed towards magnetic 58.

A preamp is not advisable here due to such strong close signals.

How many TVs do you intent to serve off the antenna?

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 6:36 AM   #3
idk

Thanks StephanieS,

Ya Fox has been a pain the rear, especially since football started.

ABC and CBS has great reception. I can actually see those towers on top of the hill to the southwest of me looking out my living room window. Why Fox's tower is not up there is beyond me, probably the cost of tower in a state park.

I actually have some lower priced, reliable sources db8e's bookmarked from research I have been doing into antennaa. I am just not as knowledgeable as someone like yourself and consistent advice across the board states to ask expert advise before doing anything since every location has different variables. I have a few others brands bookmarked also ie cm 422something. lol

From the ground, the install of the dish looks solid. I am located towards a bottom of a small hill, which might interfere with mag. 58, however, the hill is at its greatest at about mag. 0 and is closer to being level with me than it is with hills greatest height. at mag. 58. The trees are not tall trees so I do not think that will be an issue. At mag. 184, there may be obstruction or noise from power and cable lines that run a bit lower than where the antenna will be located.

I really did not think I needed any type of amp or preamp. They seem to be almost a 50/50 shot of actually helping people. At least that is my impression from my research.

I really just only want 1 tv for sure and maybe 2 if it does not interrupt signal on tv 1. The coax that is existing runs from the dish area straight down into the basement where I then have the option to split it to the various other rooms or have it run direct to the 1 tv. I am familiar with db loss with splitters because of how poor charter cable has been and have had to install amps, preamps, new drops, and re install of newer coax at various past residents and my parents house.

Say the base of the dish assemble is solid, would you recommend adding some more height to it so I get the antenna further away from lower power and cable lines?

Thanks again StephanieS.

IDK
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 9:01 AM   #4
StephanieS

The mounting location sounds like it may not be the best. I'd leave the J-Pole where it is for the time being and put the DB8e up there to test. If reception is acceptable, leave it. If not you may have to test varying locations.

A little blockage for the magnetic 219 signals is fine since they are so strong. What is important to get the best and most stable location for FOX and ION.

Magnetic 184 still has a moderate/good signal, so some nearby powerlines wouldn't concern me terribly.

Just gotta put stuff in the air and test. Once you find the location that works, then you can take measures to split the signals and bolt it all down.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote