TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Oct-2018, 6:24 PM   #1
DEDon

VERY Important channel Lost

Analysis Map:
https://waa.ai/ap3c

RTM OTA antenna on JMount at 27' above ground level. (Winegard HD7084P antenna)

Pre-amps, installed in the attic, do not improve anything for me. I've tried them with no improvements so I have none connected to the FR line, in.

History:
Roof top antenna installed in 2007
From the Beginning, I have had intermittent time periods when Channel 42 (Fox 29.1) either pixelates or signal is so weak or too strong that I loose it all together with no discernible cause.
Transmitter Location of WXTF: 40.040668 -75.2382
The Transmission Tower for WXTF is 31 miles away and within a stones throw of other channels like WHYY (that I receive) and yet I can't get 29.1 (actually channel 42).

Within the last 30 days, I've LOST 29.1 WXTF (Fox) just in time to totally mess up my Eagles viewing season. Moving the antenna in either direction does nothing for Fox.

I've tried switching out Amps. The stronger Amp produced less reception.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Viewsonics VSMA 601C-10R Amp
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
DEDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Oct-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
JoeAZ

Have you contacted WXTF to find out if they are operating at reduced power, a lower place on their or another tower or having technical issues????
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2018, 2:49 AM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

When I click on your Analysis Map link, Norton Security says it's dangerous. Can you give the TVFool URL to your report?
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
DEDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAZ View Post
Have you contacted WXTF to find out if they are operating at reduced power, a lower place on their or another tower or having technical issues????
I did read another post, somewhere, indicating that there were some changes in FCC regulations, paving the way for some stations to reduce their power. I don't know if this is true or not.
I'll call them but, IF they have in fact reduced their transmission power, what would be my next move, if any, to improve reception of this station? Am I simply SOL?
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 17-Oct-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
DEDon

Fox 29 in Philly disappeared for me in DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
When I click on your Analysis Map link, Norton Security says it's dangerous. Can you give the TVFool URL to your report?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038ec8453b8ad
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 17-Oct-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
DEDon

Quote:
I'll call them, today.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 17-Oct-2018, 3:09 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
I did read another post, somewhere, indicating that there were some changes in FCC regulations, paving the way for some stations to reduce their power. I don't know if this is true or not.
Don't know what you read, but it was either wrong or taken out of its proper context. It is necessary, occasionally, to operate at reduced power or from an auxiliary antenna or facility due to technical failures or when crews need to work on the towers. Sometimes, stations announce this ahead of time but often times, they don't. Depends how much they care about their viewers who use antennas.

FWIW, when WTXF completes its move from channel 42 to channel 31 next summer, they will have made two important changes that will benefit your location: The will have increased total power transmitted to a million watts and will have eliminated their directional antenna. As a result, the power sent in your direction will increase four-fold over what they are licensed to do right now.

Surprised no one asked this yet: Is the antenna aimed into one or more trees at relatively short range (< 200 yards)? That is, by far, the most common reason for loosing a station or for a station whose calculated signals indicate it *should* be easy but reception problems occur.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2018, 5:49 PM   #8
DEDon

Quote:
Only found a voice mail line. left a message. doubt any positive outcome at this point.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 17-Oct-2018, 5:57 PM   #9
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
FWIW, when WTXF completes its move from channel 42 to channel 31 next summer, they will have made two important changes that will benefit your location: The will have increased total power transmitted to a million watts and will have eliminated their directional antenna. As a result, the power sent in your direction will increase four-fold over what they are licensed to do right now.
Hey ADTech, where did you find this information? I'm interested in the changes to power levels and directionality for my local stations after the repack (Burlington VT market, #129)
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2018, 6:04 PM   #10
Tower Guy

When you tried a preamp did you run a separate RG6 or use the rotor leadin to power the preamp?
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2018, 6:40 PM   #11
Tower Guy

You can follow the links for each station in Burlington VT from this web site.

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackch...=&lss=&status=

You can drill down for more info by clicking on a call sign such as WVNY and then technical data to see antenna patterns and power levels.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2018, 8:15 PM   #12
DEDon

Ok. I finally have the problem solved.
I started over in my attic where I connected the coax down-lead from the antenna to The New Winegard Boost Dual Channel (one UHF, one VHF) PRE-AMP= This one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LNA-200-TV-....c100005.m1851
I had purchased this WITH the Winegard HDA-200 but I am not using this amp.
Three weeks ago when this issue first presented, I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.com/Viewsonics-VS.../dp/B007ZEUMAW
so I used a Winegard power injector between the preamp and Booster Amp. That output goes to the splitters in the basement.
I tested this setup by doing a channel scan. Received 28 channels and no (ch 42) 29.1 out of Philly.
Then I realized that Comcast, long ago, had installed a Viewsonic VSMA 601
c immediately before my splitters in the basement. I removed this unit and did another channel scan. This time, I received 40 channels including all three 29.1,2,and 3 with a perfectly clear picture and no pixelations.

Is it possible that too many amps in the line cut off the tops of the RF waves (overloaded)?

I don't have any test equipment so I was really frustrated but, I have a combination of components that works for me.

It wasn't the station. All other stations came in. It was just (42) 29.1 Fox Philadelphia. Very strange (to me). All fixed (todo bien).

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and helpfulness.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 17-Oct-2018, 8:58 PM   #13
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Is it possible that too many amps in the line cut off the tops of the RF waves (overloaded)?
Absolutely. See it all the time. It's the "If a little bit of amplification is good, then more must be better" theory.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote