TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Feb-2020, 4:56 PM   #1
JTl

Antenna suggestion

Here is my info.

What would be a good out door antenna. I could put it up about 15'. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radar-All.jpg (299.5 KB, 904 views)
JTl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2020, 7:21 PM   #2
Tim

Which stations are you looking to receive? The ones from Tampa or the ones from Fort Myers?

Also, can you run Rabbit Ears report and post a link here? It is much more up to date than the TV Fool reports. https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
Old 23-Feb-2020, 2:16 PM   #3
JTl

I would like to get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS at a minimum.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=62383
Old 23-Feb-2020, 11:52 PM   #4
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTl View Post
I would like to get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS at a minimum.

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=62383
It looks like your stations from the Naples/Fort Myers area are your strongest and are all on UHF. I think a 4 bay bow tie antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4e or equivalent would be a good bet for you as long as you have a clear shot to the southeast.

They are going thru phase 8 of the channel repack that is scheduled to be complete in late March. You might have some stations operating at reduced power until the repack is complete. It looks like WZVN, the ABC affiliate might even be temporarily off the air according to the Rabbit Ears report.
Old 24-Feb-2020, 3:27 PM   #5
JTl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
It looks like your stations from the Naples/Fort Myers area are your strongest and are all on UHF. I think a 4 bay bow tie antenna like the Antennas Direct DB4e or equivalent would be a good bet for you as long as you have a clear shot to the southeast.

They are going thru phase 8 of the channel repack that is scheduled to be complete in late March. You might have some stations operating at reduced power until the repack is complete. It looks like WZVN, the ABC affiliate might even be temporarily off the air according to the Rabbit Ears report.
Thank you. Is the DB4e better than the Clear Stream 2v?
Old 24-Feb-2020, 5:03 PM   #6
Tim

The DB4e has two UHF elements while the 2V has 2 UHF elements. The DB4e is more comparable to the ClearStream 4V. The DB4e and the 4V have about 12 dBi gain on UHF while the 2V has about 9 dbi gain.

I think the extra gain from the DB4e or the 4V would be advantageous based on your distance from the stations. The 2V and the 4V also have a VHF element, but if you are going for reception of the Fort Myers area stations you wouldn't need it since there are no VHF stations in that market.

The 2V may perform very well in your area. You could always buy from someone that allows returns, try it out and see. If reception is not up to par, then you could return it and get one of the bigger antennas.
Old 27-Feb-2020, 5:33 PM   #7
rickbb

I also recommend a 4 bay style.

You have only 2 main directions to deal with and with a 4 bay you can remove the reflector from the back and aim the antenna to get stations from both directions.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2020, 7:11 PM   #8
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
... you can remove the reflector from the back and aim the antenna to get stations from both directions.
They two directions are pretty far off from 180-degrees apart though... But it is certainly worth the experiment with the 4-bay.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote