TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Mar-2015, 4:49 PM   #1
johnnyneedlez11

Missing one station

Hello All,

I'm brand new to the site and to OTA programming. I just moved into my new home and refuse to pay those ridiculous cable prices. Anyway, I just installed an RCA ANT751 on the roof, broke out the compass and pointed the antenna to 174deg. My overall reception is great, and I'm getting all of the channels I would expect except one. The one that I really want is FOX which is broadcasting on RF 7. I understand this is a VHF freq and I would think that I might need a dedicated VHF antenna. The only problem with that is that I am current getting RF 6 CBS and it is crystal clear. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Oh and the antenna is directly feeding one TV currently with about 50' of RG6. I may add a splitter in the future.'

Thanks again!

Roof Level Approx 15' AGL
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f05fb0ff6094

25' AGL
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f07138c87a06

40' AGL
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0ac72f4057c
johnnyneedlez11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2015, 8:36 PM   #2
Tim

Have you tried tweaking the antenna a few degrees in either direction? I have one 2 edge signal that is actually received best about 10 degrees off the compass bearing of the transmitter tower.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2015, 9:26 PM   #3
Tower Guy

I'd be considering interference such as FM overload of your TV set. WEXT on 97.7 is 1.8 miles from you on the WYPX tower.

Try a 6 db attenuator before you buy a bigger antenna.
If that does help, unplug everything in your house except your TV set , switch off all unnecessary breakers at the panel and rescan again.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Mar-2015, 11:21 PM   #4
No static at all

Yes, try tweaking aim & height (up "or" down) a few inches. The antenna may be in a dead zone for Fox.

How far is the antenna above the roofline?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2015, 12:03 AM   #5
johnnyneedlez11

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have tried to move the antenna a bit, not more than a few degrees horizontally but I will try a few more aggressive adjustments and see if that helps.

It didn't even cross my mind to look at the FM band Tower Guy. I will give the attenuator a shot as well.

The antenna is not far above the roof line, 12" at best. I am limited to the J pipe that came with the antenna right now and I didn't want to screw it through the shingles so I fastened it to the fascia instead. I did forget to mention that I do have some trees in the way as well across my street, I'm sure that's not helping either.
Old 12-Mar-2015, 12:58 AM   #6
No static at all

Is Fox intermittent or completely missing?

Do you have an alarm with wireless transmitters?

I tried helping someone with a mysterious strong channel 7 issue a while back & we never solved it. Channels 8,9,11,12 & 13 were fine. I still think the wireless sending units for his home alarm were the culprit. Channel 7 only came in with the antenna placed at a far corner of the yard. There was something in that house that created intermittent interference that switched on, then off every 2 seconds.
Old 12-Mar-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
johnnyneedlez11

I don't have a home alarm system so that rules that out.

I had a small amplified set top antenna and that was receiving fox for a while until it finally just stopped last weekend. I haven't even had a blip since then.

I naturally figured that the outdoor antenna would do the trick. I'm on the road for work until tomorrow but I am going to start hunting for interference when i get back. Reminds me of a time when my mother had an intermittent wireless internet issue a while back, turned out that every time someone called or picked up the cordless phone that would knock out the wireless. Both were the 2.4 GHz.
Old 12-Mar-2015, 10:43 AM   #8
No static at all

Have you ever tried re-scanning channels on the TV since installing the antenna?
Old 12-Mar-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
johnnyneedlez11

Yes. Every time I repositioned the antenna I did a rescan.