TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > TV Fool Discussion / Database Updates

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the background colors in TV Fool reports be made darker?
Yes, the background colors need to be made darker 3 42.86%
No, the background colors are fine as they are 4 57.14%
No, the background colors can be made even lighter 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9-Feb-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
kieths

Website signal analysis colors used not clear

Unable to see the color differences clearly in the current TV Signal Locator / Interactive TV Coverage Browser. I'm not color blind, but the color scheme being used is just too washed out to see the color shades clearly on all the monitors I've got, both LCD and CRT.

Suggest to use the colors....similar to those used by the 'Smilies' at the right side of this 'Post New Thread' message editing screen. The red is...RED (perhaps just a tiny bit too dark). The Green is GREEN, not a drop of light pastel green color in a bucket of water, etc.

On a positive note, the forecast signal quality I've found on this site matches very closely with the real life signal performance I've seen in the field.

I've made a 'doctored up' suggested updated color scheme screen capture (see attached). I basically just cranked up the color saturation to max, and cropped out lots of wasted space from the original capture. I also dropped to 256 colors with color bleeding reduced to improve some on clarity and file size.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TVFool-Suggested-colors.gif (38.5 KB, 1434 views)
kieths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
mtownsend

Thanks for the suggestion.

I personally have not had problems seeing the colors on various displays, but I'll open this one up for a public poll. Not everyone's displays or eyesight are the same, so it might be hard to find a middle ground that satisfies everyone, but we're open to suggestions.

If I may ask, where are your display's contrast, brightness, and backlight (applicable on some LCD displays) settings set to? To get the deeper "saturation" that you are looking for means trying to make the red, green, and blue phosphors on your display darker (less light being transmitted).

If the display is being over-driven, it gives the display a nice "bright" appearance, but it can also cause colors to be rendered with less accuracy (a result of color space compression or clipping). Viewing angle, display technology, and other settings (e.g., color temperature, gamma, game/text/cinema/custom presets, etc.) can also have an impact on the color rendition you see.

In home theater setups, it's important to adjust your display settings correctly to present the content in the way it was intended by the movie studios. With computers, it's also important to have the display adjusted correctly so that it can properly show content the way it was intended to be shown.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 5:58 AM   #3
John Candle

Tvfool colors

I have no trouble seeing the colors. I am not using Mozilla Firefox. I have read articles that mozella firefox has these kinds of problems and mozella firefox has other problems as well. I say to tvfool , do not make adj. to fit mozella firefox. Mozella Firefox can make adj's to fit tvfool and mozella firefox can make adj. to fit in with every one else.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Feb-2011, 6:19 AM   #4
kieths

I have 3 PC's, including 2 desktops and 1 netbook. One desktop uses a bright CRT, one desktop uses a medium brightness LCD, and the netbook runs LCD at about 25% most of the time.

I use Firefox most of the time, true, for security reasons rather than aesthetics. But it does display colors clearly on most websites, and I'm pretty sure that Mozilla didn't put in special code to say.....except for TVfool. That said, the netbook runs Linux, where browser choices are quite limited. And it is worth mentioning that the various Mozilla clients have a large percentage of the market, and are free.

I respect those who bought and run MS Windows, and have made the choice to remain with a familiar browser, despite security risks. But I can't see the faded colors used in the current color scheme. I'm not color blind, the browser isn't broken, the colors are just too light, respectfully.
Old 11-Feb-2011, 11:52 PM   #5
John Candle

Colors

I have a iMAC and a MAC BOOK PRO , I do not insult My MAC's by running windows. . I am a little color blind and the colors look bright , clear , and well defined with correct saturation , brightness and contrast. . Do not hurt MY MAC's I will hurt you back. Respectfully.

Last edited by John Candle; 12-Feb-2011 at 12:01 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Feb-2011, 4:56 PM   #6
kieths

Attached are 2 completely untouched screen captures in common PNG format, at 1024x600, native resolution (though admittedly a bit odd) for many brands of netbooks in the market today.

One screen shows the color table used in showing signal forecast on the site.
The other screen is simply a shot of THIS editing screen with color Smilies.

The color smilies are...in bright clear colors; the colors in the table are very light, and in a list with heavy text, are not easily seen.
Attached Images
File Type: png TVFool-colors.png (109.9 KB, 1420 views)
File Type: png Smilies.png (92.6 KB, 1416 views)
Old 10-Mar-2011, 8:38 AM   #7
mtownsend

BTW, here is a site that might help determine whether or not your display settings are near their expected norms: http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin...tml#gammachart
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2011, 6:25 PM   #8
kieths

mtownsend -
Your link is helpful. After cranking Gamma down to minimum settings on the video card (NVidia), and on the flat panel (Samsung), I can see subtle color shades with my screen brightness dropped low (though it gives me the feeling that the world just went gray and dingy). The link mentioned above called out a helpful utility, QuickGamma (their link was dead, but I Googled it). Adjusting monitor Gamma alone was not helpful at all. The QuickGamma software allowed for adjustment of the NVidia video card, which added a slight color to the charts. It's not vivid at all, but the color can now be seen.

I understand that very light pastels would print better on a black and white printer (darker, more saturated colors tend to print as near-black on some older printers).

I suppose I was looking for colors that, at a quick glance, are outstanding and easy to see. I can now see that the site's colors are not actually true gray. The light green which used to look like 10% light gray, now has a slight color shift towards green. Deeper color saturation would be an improvement. I've honestly never had difficulty seeing 'colors' on any other site (I suspect that greater color saturation is common on the particular sites I frequent).

The color scheme shall be...what the site operator chooses it to be. The information provided is excellent, very useful, and much appreciated.

Last edited by kieths; 10-Mar-2011 at 7:02 PM.
Old 20-Mar-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
FrankenBean
I've bean around!

I'm fine with them as is, but i guess those with sight disabilities or are colour blind may desire a change.
FrankenBean is offline   Reply With Quote