TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Oct-2012, 1:59 PM   #1
channelguy

Should I ground my attic antenna?

I have an attic antenna (above the second floor) with RG-6 going down into my basement. It connects thru a barrel connector to more RG-6 to a 2-way splitter that feeds two Silicondust HDHR3 (HomeRun) receivers -- one Dual unit and one Tech unit, on the first floor.

In the basement there's a spare "grounding barrel" (ground block) that once was used for a DirecTV installation, but now is unused. Should I run the attic antenna through this grounding device, or is there no point in doing so? There's no reception problem. I'm just wondering about grounding for safety / static purposes.

Note: I'm a newbie to this forum. Lots of great info here and on the TV Fool site in general -- thanks! I've done a search and read about the topic but most recommendations pertain to outdoor antennas. There seems to be a diverse set of opinions about attic antennas. Sorry if I'm dredging up an old topic, though.

Last edited by channelguy; 7-Oct-2012 at 2:39 PM.
channelguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2012, 3:08 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Ground it

One of the fundamental reasons for grounding anything is to increase the likely-hood that a circuit breaker or fuse will trip/blow if there's a problem. In other words, if there's a problem, you find out right away... not later when someone unwittingly touches the ungrounded object with voltage on it while touching something else that is grounded.

It's so cheap and easy in your case. I recommend you take advantage of the easily accessible ground block.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Oct-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
channelguy

Thanks for the advice on grounding. I just finished the "job" -- all of maybe 5 minutes.
channelguy is offline   Reply With Quote