TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Nov-2011, 5:48 AM   #1
Wasecamn

Help in Southern Waseca/Otisco Minnesota

Hello,

I was looking for any suggestions or help in interpretating my search results.

**http://www.tvfool.com/option=com_wra...ec12f6150d59e3

We are most interested in being able to watch the Vikings as well as Monday night football games, and our local news. Being able to watch Lenobwould be a plus but could survive without.

I am new at this but it looks to be multi directional to get all the locals, plus the fox channel with Vikings.

Thank you in advance for any help on which antenna might work best!
Beth
Wasecamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2011, 6:32 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasecamn View Post
Thank you in advance for any help on which antenna might work best!
Beth
Monday Night Football is on ESPN, not available over the air.

In your case I'd install a Winegard HD7698P aimed at 117°. along with a AP8700 preamp. If you wanted a second CBS station, add a Y10-7-13 aimed at 266° using a channel 12 Jointenna.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Nov-2011, 2:52 AM   #3
Wasecamn

Hi, thanks for your help!
I was hoping to find an antenna that would help me get KARE 11' i should have clarified. Monday night football does air on local OTA channels in the home and away teams' local areas. I watced the game this past Monday on KARE. I realize I wont be able to watch non local teams OTA.
Old 17-Nov-2011, 3:02 AM   #4
Wasecamn

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12f6150d59e3

Reposting the link.
Old 17-Nov-2011, 2:04 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasecamn View Post
Monday night football does air on local OTA channels in the home and away teams' local areas.
Ah yes, I forgot about that.

To get KARE you'll need a dedicated high VHF antenna. The two options are Antennacraft Y10-7-13 or Winegard YA1713 aimed at 11°.

Another option for KARE is to pick up K31EF on channel 31. The best antenna for that would be a 91XG aimed at 221°. Such an antenna would get between 4-8 of the LPTV stations in Frost, MN.

In either case the exact location of the antenna will make a big difference in the reliability of the reception.

If you opt for KARE on channel 11, you could add that to the UHF antenna using a UVSJ. Unfortunately, that would preclude reception of channels 10 and 12. (unless you use a rotator) An A/B switch would work better, but that would mean two preamps.

You can learn more about the LPTV translators in Frost, MN here: http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...earch&state=MN

The HD7698P antenna will get about half the MN/SP stations.

Have you run the TVfool reports with a higher antenna?

Last edited by Tower Guy; 17-Nov-2011 at 2:08 PM.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Nov-2011, 7:09 PM   #6
Jammer

Hi Wasecaman.

I know the area. Lots of ex-EF Johnson people live there, many of them ham radio operators, so plenty of antenna expertise for you to draw upon locally.

I don't know if you can get KARE-11 or not. Your best bet would be as high of a tower or mast as you can get away with and a single-channel Yagi, which you would probably have to get from Blonder Tongue at a cost of $400 or so.

http://www.starkelectronic.com/btp1.htm

It won't work for any other channels so you'll have to have an antenna switch or something.

That way you could leave your existing antenna pointed at the local stations.

I reran the simulation for a couple locations around Waseca and it looks like you must be down low by Clear Lake which isn't going to help matters.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12c814076039

If you can get the antenna up higher you will have much better results.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Wasecamn

Thank you for the help! We are actually not on the 160th st by clearlake, many of the online maps show us there. Technically we are in Otisco, halfway between new Richland and Wascea, just 2 miles off of highway 13. I dont know if this
makes a difference or not but thought I would mention it.
Old 7-Jan-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

As I look at the path profiles of KARE and K31EF (click on the call sign listed in your TV Fool Report), I tend to think you would see significant improvement if you could use a 50' mast.

You can re-run your TV Fool Report at the higher level to see if there is a worthwhile difference.

Here is yet another method of integrating a secondary antenna into your existing system: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.p...4319#post14319

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2012, 3:12 AM   #9
Wasecamn

Thank you GRound!