TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Feb-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
thespacepope

Reception help near Minneapolis

I am having some problems with real channel 9 and real channel 11. I have UHF antenna so I know that 9 and 11 are on the edge of its reception.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b942d6487f795

I am using a Channel Master CM-4221 (I have used it in my prior houses for about a dozen years) in a first floor attic mount. I am renting a house so a roof mount is not possible. I am willing to buy a new antenna or even get an amplifier.

thoughts?
thespacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
StephanieS

Hello thespacepope,

You have run into what can happen when you have broadcasts in different bands when you have a single band antenna.

TV broadcasts in the US currently are in 3 bands: low-VHF (real channels 2-6), high-VHF (real channels 7-13) and UHF (real channels 14 and up).

Your 4221 is exclusively UHF and not designed for real channels (RF) 9 and 11.

There are non-drilling options for roof mount antennas such as chimney mounts. Outdoors your 4221 while UHF, may receive RF channels 9 and 11. It's not uncommon in very good signal access areas that UHF exclusive antennas reliably receive VHF signals.

If you must be in the attic, I'd suggest you purchase an antenna that supports high-vhf and UHF. Swap out your CM-4221 for an Antennacraft HBU22. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hbu22. Orientate antenna to magnetic 25 degrees or so.

You may have to play with aiming to receive signals at magnetic 52 through 62 while receiving ION from magnetic 330.

I wouldn't suggest an amplifier unless you are running long leads of coax. You have very good signal strength and most of the green shaded signals should be doable from your attic.

Your issue was an antenna that supported high-VHF and UHF instead of UHF only.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Feb-2014, 2:46 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
----
The Digital Broadcast Tv reception is Strong Signal Strength at your reception location.
Even with the strong signal strengths.

I Strongly recommend install the UHF bow tie antenna above the roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , buy the , attic , roof , and building in the directions of , North East and North West.

The UHF 4 bay bow tie antenna is designed to receive the Current UHF channels 14 thru 51.
However VHF high band channels are strong signal strength and if the UHF antenna is installed at a unobstructed location , channels 9 and 11 will most likely be received reliably.

Aim the UHF 4 bay bow tie antenna at a in between aim direction of the Tv stations to the North East and North West.

Aim the antenna at about 25 degrees magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a areal and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

---------

Here are chimney antenna mounts.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.ronard.com , or , www.amazon.com .

-----

A Winegard , DS3000 , J pole type antenna mount works Ok for a antenna mount.

----------

If the 4 bay bow tie UHF antenna does not receive reliably , then install a , Antennas Direct , C5 antenna aimed at about 25 degree magnetic compass direction , above the roof.

The C5 antenna has a very wide reception direction pattern of the VHF and UHF channels.

The C5 comes with a VHF/UHF combiner , the combiner will not be used when the C5 is connected by it's self.

A antenna system amplifier is not required , the signal strengths of the Tv stations are strong.

--------------

www.amazon.com

Last edited by teleview; 13-Feb-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 8-Feb-2014, 2:14 PM   #4
thespacepope

Exclamation

Thanks.

I probably should have included some additional information.

I am right under the minneapolis St. Paul airport landing path. So I can get 9 and 11 to come in but I get pixelation and audio dropouts when planes pass overhead(every 2 minutes or so).

I am also splitting the antenna to a hdhomerun dual, a diamond 750 pcie card and a diamond 650 pcie card.

The overall coax run from antenna to splitter is about 25 feet and about 18 inches post splitter.
Old 8-Feb-2014, 3:04 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
-----
Yes the Rest Of The Story is important.

The Air Planes cause -->Moving Multi-Path signal reflections bouncing off the planes , moving multi-path is very bad for reception and reliable reception.

And Yes the tuner information is Important for evaluation of the reception situation.
Old 8-Feb-2014, 9:38 PM   #6
StephanieS

high-VHF reception on a UHF antenna can be hit or miss airplanes or not. Those that get lucky and have stable reception of VHF signals in this situation do so with normally strong to very strong signals with their antennas mounted outdoors.

With an antenna that is designed for RF 9 and 11, those problems should ease considerably.

Have you tried removing the splitter and testing stability of RF 9 and 11 with just the coax coming in from the antenna into one device? When you split signals you are reducing the strength of the signal within the coax that reaches your devices. Your run is pretty short, but it's worth it as a test just to confirm it's not a signal loss problem.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Feb-2014, 3:02 PM   #7
thespacepope

Thanks again for the advice. I did remove the splitter but still had issues with 9 and 11.

I had been using the CM-4221 with a Tivo Series3 until recently and the tuners in that thing were good enough that I did not have the same issues I am having with the random assortment of tuners I am now using.
Old 12-Feb-2014, 7:26 PM   #8
Jammer

You may have good results adding a VHF high band antenna to your attic if you have room. I'm in Northfield and that's what I use (on my roof) -- there's really no way to get 9 and 11 reliably with just a UHF antenna.

The Winegard Yagi I am using is now discontinued but is similar to the Antennacraft y10713. Since you're in closer the Y5713 should work ok for you even inside.

http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasVHF.html
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote