TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jan-2015, 7:51 PM   #1
Jim41

Help with Antenna Choice

Hi Folks: This is the information regarding my location: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c156c11f5d121 : I have been researching the idea of getting off the cable system as the price is outrageous. I just need to convince my better half. During the recent blizzard, we lost cable for the entire afternoon. I had purchased an inexpensive RCA bow tie type indoor HDTV antenna last year sometime( for the RV) and hooked it up to my TV in the den. To my surprise after the scan, it resulted in about 12 good clear channels and another 12 that came in so, so including some blank screens. I received the Boston channels that carry the major networks and one out of Providence RI without a problem. The others required a directional adjustment to the antenna. I am thinking about installing an antenna either in the attic or out on the south eastern corner of the house, running the cable to the existing splitter in the basement, and running two TV's through existing cables. I am totally confused on what antenna to get as there are to many designs and choices. Any feedback from you folks on this awesome sight would be appreciated. I plan on using an indoor antenna in the upstairs bedroom as we just have the morning news on in the morning( TV #3). That way I will limit the amount of TV's on the system. I was looking at the Wineguard FlatWave Air Outdoor Amplified HDTV Antenna (FL6550A) on Slid Signals website. I like the look and if needed, buy 2, one for each TV, and mount it closer to the north end of the house to keep the cable run to a minimum. . Thanks in advance for your reply. Sincerely, Jim
Jim41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2015, 8:14 PM   #2
timgr

Hi - welcome from Medford MA.

You pretty much have two markets you can aim at, Providence and Boston. The main advantage to aiming for Boston, IMO, is that you get all the major networks on UHF. If you aim at Providence WNAC 12 and WPRI 13 are VHF-high and will require an antenna that covers both UHF and VHF high. Or, you can try and get a mix from both markets...

There are lots of antennas on the market with differing claims... but siting is really important. First, I would say if you are willing to put the antenna outside, you will be way, way ahead of any indoor mounting. From your outside location, higher is generally better, and you want to pick a location where the line-of-sight (LOS) to the transmitter is clear to the horizon. No obstructing trees or buildings.

Are there any stations on your list that you particularly want to get? If it were for me, I would want WGBH/WGBX from Boston.

I have an Antennas Direct DB8e on my roof (UHF only), along with an Antennacraft Y10713 for VHF-high. The DB8e has two panels that can point in two directions, so you could try and split it between Boston and Providence. Then if Boston is not reliable, give up on Providence and point both panels at Boston.

You can also add a VHF-high antenna to the same mast, like the Antennacraft Y5713, point it at Providence and pick up 12, 13 and maybe WWDP 10. You can mix the UHF signals and VHF high signals with a UVSJ or a mast-mounted preamp.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html
http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas/AntennasVHF.html
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R-.../dp/B003P92D9Y

Or, you could point at Providence with a combination antenna like the Antennacraft HBU-44 and skip the Boston stations. Similar antennas from Winegard, Channelmaster and likely others are available. Expect a detailed spec sheet with performance numbers in dB for any of these antennas, not just claims.

But first, I suggest you look at your site to see how you can best mount the antenna. There are lots of ways to erect a mast, and you will need to ground it properly and bring the cable in from the mast. If you try and use existing cables, and you get nothing, suspect the cables. New cables are cheap, relatively speaking.

hth!

Last edited by timgr; 29-Jan-2015 at 8:21 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2015, 8:16 PM   #3
Jake V

You have some options.

If this were me I would get an Antennas Direct DB-8e and aim one panel at 100 degrees on a compass and the other at about 140 degrees. I'd add to that the VHF kit for that antenna for real channel 12 (Fox, WNAC). I might also pick up real channel 10 (WWDP).

Others will post and they may have different or better options.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Jim41

Thank You TIMGR and JAKEV for your replies. I am considering trying the two antennas in the attic and see what results I get. Question: If installed in the attic, does the set up require a ground wire? I watched an install on an exterior roof antenna and the installer used a coax wire with a ground messenger wire built in. Thought that was cool. Never knew it existed. I remember as a youngster, all exterior antennas had a copper ground wire. Anyway, thanks for your help, I'm thinking about the DB-8E and maybe the Clearstream 5 for channels 2-6. Not sure if I need a pre-amp . I do have alot of big straight oak trees as we live in a rural area but will try this project as the rabbit ears worked surprisingly well. The cable runs in my house are all perfect as the Cable company was here a month ago as I had issues with my modem. They actually changed out most of the connectors, installed a new power splitter and booster in the basement. Any further suggestions on the antennas are welcome. Thank You Jim
Jim41 is offline   Reply With Quote