TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jan-2011, 4:41 PM   #1
trijon04

Confused with Antenna selection

I currently have a converter box and a cheap rabbit ear antenna on my kitchen. Reception was okay but cannot get all the local channel I wanted.
Recently I bought a Samsung LED for my basement to watch movies but i also want to be able watch some Tv shows in the future. I've been looking at the antenna at Amazon and was overwhelmed with the selection.Can somebody here suggest a good TV antenna for my basement. do I still have to use another converter box? here is the link for the reference on my area. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4dd866b72ff

any input is highly appreciated. thank you
trijon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
rgallop

Did you get a response to your question? It doesn't look like it. I found another area of the forum for this type of question. It was under Help with Reception off the main page in the forum.
rgallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 4:10 AM   #3
mtownsend

Thread has been moved to correct area.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 4:28 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

You have quite a lot of available programing...

Which stations would you like to receive, but have had trouble with?

Are you willing to install an antenna outside?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 4:58 AM   #5
mtownsend

First off, have you tried your rabbit ears on the basement TV? Basements can get a lot of signal blockage from the building, so an indoor antenna may or may not work depending on your particular situation. If the rabbit ears that you already have are able to pull most of the stations in the basement, then you can try going for one of the better indoor antennas available. It would help if your antenna could face NYC (Empire State) since that's where all the signals are coming from.

If an indoor antenna seems like it's good enough, you can try the Philips PHDTV3 or the Terk HDTVi (do not bother with the HDTVa amplified version since you have signals that might be too strong for the amp to handle).

If an indoor antenna doesn't cut it in your basement, then you should install an antenna in the attic or on the roof and then run RG6 coax down to the TV. You can even split the signal so that you can feed both your kitchen TV and your basement TV with the cleaner rooftop signal.

There are some local stations on high-VHF (ch 7-13), like WABC (7), WNJB (8), WPIX (11), and WNET (13). The other major networks are on UHF channels (14-69). If you want a roof mounted antenna, be sure to get one that supports both high-VHF and UHF. Since your signals are strong, you should be fine with a compact antenna like the Winegard HD-1080 pointed at the Empire State building.

Avoid anything with a built-in amp. You don't need an amp, and if you had one, your signals might be strong enough to cause it to overload (nothing dangerous, but it can make the signals worse rather than better).

BTW, a note regarding your rabbit ears (I assume you mean a rabbit ears plus loop combo antenna?)... The loop portion of the antenna picks up UHF stations (14-69), and the rods pick up VHF stations (2-13). If you're having trouble picking up the VHF stations listed above, then you may need to extend the rods (~40 inches each side) and lay them out straight across (making the rabbit ears point away from each other horizontally). This will tune the rabbit ears to the proper wavelength for VHF stations.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 7:21 PM   #6
John Candle

Television reception.

An outside Tv antenna is the correct to do. Will you install a out side Tv antenna?? . Answer Yes or No .
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2011, 3:40 PM   #7
trijon04

thank you fro all your help.
As guided by GroundUR mast, I had followed and bought the wineguard pro. It worked perfect,I have all the channel I wanted. I returned the C2 and C5 eventhough I lost money as one antenna was out for 30days Amazon did accept my returned.
trijon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
rgallop

mtownsend,

Thanks for moving this for trijon04. I was reading through different parts of the forum and noticed his post.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 11:53 PM   #9
rgallop

trijon04,

It's great that the forum could help you out! These guys have been a wealth of knowledge to me with my OTA setup the past couple weeks. I don't know who I would have asked without the help here at TV Fool.
Old 16-Mar-2011, 1:48 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgallop View Post
... without the help here at TV Fool.
Yes indeed... I know of no other resource that offers signal level predictions with the accuracy provided by TV Fool. With out this source of data, I would be unable to offer anything more than very generalized estimations, limited to the OTA markets I have local knowledge of.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote