TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Mar-2013, 7:17 PM   #1
clemmima

RCA ANT751R or other?-SW of Portland OR

I ordered the RCA ANT751R then started researching I haven't put it up yet, but plan to mount it on a chimney that is not being used. It will be about 15-20' above ground.
Here is the link to my signal results
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda3f0182c29a

I'm not sure if the antenna that I purchased will be strong enough. If not, do you have suggestions. I can return the ANT751R if I need to and purchase something else. Should I purchase an amplifier because I am splitting the signal between 3 TV's.
I have purchased, but haven't received 50' rg6 coax cable, a ronard chimney mount, and a 5' mount extension.
I am mostly interested in local channels 2-12. Just to see what I could get, I tried hooking up the 751R inside my house-sitting next to my TV, but didn't get any channels. My house is older and it's difficult getting signals through walls etc. Should I have been able to get something though? I'm afraid that I'm hooking something up incorrectly.
Thanks

Last edited by clemmima; 2-Mar-2013 at 2:56 PM. Reason: added more info
clemmima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Mar-2013, 5:14 AM   #2
teleview

To see what signal strengths look like at higher antenna heights make 2 more tvfool radar plot reports , 25 and 40 feet.
Old 2-Mar-2013, 9:21 AM   #3
clemmima

New reports at different heights

Here are two more reports(I did a 5' just for comparison)

25' http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda9a1e1eaeb3

40' http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda45700411d1

5' http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddac0ee6e9ed1

I am about 30 miles southwest of Portland Oregon towards the foothills, so there are a few tall hills in the way of Portland towers. I have a one-story house. Will mount the antenna on an unused chimney at the peak of the roof.

Last edited by clemmima; 2-Mar-2013 at 9:30 AM.
Old 3-Mar-2013, 3:10 PM   #4
clemmima

additional info

I have an Insignia 42" 720p plasma, Samsung 32" LCD tv, and a Magnavox 15" LCD(not used much). They are attached to a Samsung DVD, Wii, and Roku respectively to get internet(Netflix, Hulu etc.)

Present set up is Comcast TV, Internet, home phone. Am looking to keep Comcast Internet(or perhaps switch to Century Link high speed internet-only two choices) drop home phone, and drop Comcast TV to go to ota TV with Netflix, Hulu etc. We have 2 desktop computers and 4 laptops with wifi set up. Am thinking about getting some kind of tuner to get TV to the computers also.

I'm thinking that I need to get something big as far as an antenna goes and that the ANT751R is not going to work. But since I've already purchased it, could it be used in conjunction with another antenna, should I try it just in case it might work, or will it be completely worthless in my situation and I just need to send it back and pull out the big guns right away?

Just fiddling around with height on the fool report-there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in raising the antenna or lowering it so I'm assuming that antenna size will be the difference.
Old 3-Mar-2013, 7:29 PM   #5
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemmima View Post
I have an Insignia 42" 720p plasma, Samsung 32" LCD tv, and a Magnavox 15" LCD(not used much). They are attached to a Samsung DVD, Wii, and Roku respectively to get internet(Netflix, Hulu etc.)

Present set up is Comcast TV, Internet, home phone. Am looking to keep Comcast Internet(or perhaps switch to Century Link high speed internet-only two choices) drop home phone, and drop Comcast TV to go to ota TV with Netflix, Hulu etc. We have 2 desktop computers and 4 laptops with wifi set up. Am thinking about getting some kind of tuner to get TV to the computers also.

I'm thinking that I need to get something big as far as an antenna goes and that the ANT751R is not going to work. But since I've already purchased it, could it be used in conjunction with another antenna, should I try it just in case it might work, or will it be completely worthless in my situation and I just need to send it back and pull out the big guns right away?

Just fiddling around with height on the fool report-there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in raising the antenna or lowering it so I'm assuming that antenna size will be the difference.
I think ABC and CBS will give you trouble using a ANT751r. I am no expert but I have 2Edge to deal with as well, and my FOX with the same signal strength as your CBS was spotty at best. It comes in pretty reliably with a Clearstream C2V, but only 47 signal strength.

I am about to purchase a Winegard 7694p to try.
BobHaskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Mar-2013, 4:13 AM   #6
clemmima

I looked at your report and it is similar to mine. Thanks for replying. Please post back on how the Winegard 7694 works out. I looked at the specs on Amazon and it looks like it might do the trick.
Old 4-Mar-2013, 6:21 AM   #7
teleview

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked by the roof and house in the directions of , north east and south/south east.

Install a Winegard HD7698P antenna aimed at about 40 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Install a Winegard HDP-269 preamp.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the HFS splitters at , http://www.solidsignal.com , or , http://www.hollandelectronics.com.

Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com.

Here are some Strong and Sturdy antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , use the 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , use the #4560 eave antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html.

http://www.ronard.com.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a good job of , multipath/reflecting , absorbing , blocking , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv Reception and so buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best install the HD7698P antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ' Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

The Cable Tv system , cable service , internet service , phone service , Must Be Separate coax from the antenna system coaxes.

Yes the coaxes that are in or on the house can be used for the antenna system.

However any Cable Services Must Be on a Separate coax.

Do Not combine the ANT751 antenna with any other antenna.

Do Not combine the HD7698P antenna with any other antenna.
Old 4-Mar-2013, 7:56 PM   #8
clemmima

Thanks and a few more questions

I figured the small ANT751 was not going to work after I researched a bit. Wow, the HD7698P looks capable of bringing in any signal. Am I right in assuming that it really doesn't matter what the height is for my situation as long as it clears the roof and there are no obstructions?
Also, which stations would you think that I should be able to bring in with this antenna? I notice that you said no obstructions NE and S/SE. Does that mean that I might be able to get those stations that are to the S/SE even though the antenna is pointing NE?
Just for my own information--since I'm not that far away from the towers--what is it that makes reception so difficult in my area? Is it the 2edge path? What is meant by the signal strength numbers? If I have a signal strength of -59 and the NM(dB) is 31, am I trying to somehow balance it out by bringing the numbers to a positive by adding the antenna into the mix? Or am I completely not understanding how this works?
Thanks
Old 4-Mar-2013, 9:19 PM   #9
clemmima

even more questions

The Winegard 7698 is 14' long. At that length I would hope to get a LOT of stations(and I'm not adverse to putting something like that on my roof if I need to). But if I could just get the weaker KOIN(ch 6) and KATU(ch 2) signals and the stronger ones above that by putting up a smaller antenna, then that would be great. I don't need everything. But if I could not get those two in without the 7698, then I will go with that.
Is there another antenna that would bring in those two weaker stations and still be under 10'?
Old 5-Mar-2013, 12:01 AM   #10
teleview

No signal strength advantage to 40 feet antenna height above ground.

Install the antenna above the roof at about 20 or 25 feet above ground.
Old 5-Mar-2013, 1:21 AM   #11
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemmima View Post
Please post back on how the Winegard 7694 works out.
Sure thing.
BobHaskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Mar-2013, 4:09 PM   #12
clemmima

One of the reasons I am hesitant about the 14' antenna is because I'm sending my daughter's 16 year old boyfriend on the roof to mount it. I'm afraid that is a recipe for disaster. But I am wondering if I could possibly mount it about 10' high over the top of a shed with the mast secured to the side. That way no one has to get on the roof. The shed is on the north side of my house so the house would not be in the way and the antenna would point out to a vacant lot adjoining my lot with no trees or buildings in the way. I can't see a large difference between the 5', 15' 25', or 40' reports. But maybe I'm missing something.
Old 5-Mar-2013, 6:08 PM   #13
teleview

As I have stated , there is No signal strength advantage to mounting at 40 feet antenna height above the ground.

There is not that much signal strength change if the HD7698P antenna is installed at a lower antenna height.

However the HD7698P antenna -->Must be installed and mounted Strong and Sturdy.

If a weak and whimpy antenna mount is used then you will buy another antenna if the antenna falls over.

The antenna Is Not that heavy.

But even being Not That Heavy.

Duct tape and plastic straps will not hold the antenna up for very long.

Do not cut corners on installing mounting the antenna.
Old 5-Mar-2013, 6:28 PM   #14
elmo

Well, given that, I would advise against sending anyone (esp a kid) on your roof besides yourself or a pro! You can always call your insurance agent to see if he agrees. ;-)

You can always try the easier mount and if it doesn't work, it's easy to dismount as well.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2013, 9:01 AM   #15
Stereocraig

Ditto on hiring an insured professional.

The 7698 is very delicate and snags on other objects easily, but it is a very good antenna.

Mounting a tripod, is a lot more complicated than simply driving a few lag bolts through the roof.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Mar-2013, 9:12 AM   #16
teleview

The HD7698P is HD Heavy Duty Antenna that is made to last a long time out in the weather.

Even so , When installing the antenna , Do Not go swinging the antenna around so that it smashes into and gets caught on other objects.
Old 6-Mar-2013, 2:17 PM   #17
clemmima

Thanks for the advice on getting the professional. I think I will. I have ordered a ronard chimney mount but haven't received it yet. I had purchased it for use with the ANT 751 but I am assuming that it will be sturdy enough for a larger antenna.
Old 12-Apr-2013, 3:31 PM   #18
clemmima

installation info

I have installed the HD7698P. My son-in-law tightened it down a little too much and dented the mast, so he will be up on the roof replacing the mast with something a bit heavier. I sent the Winegard HDP-269 preamp back because it didn't seem to help at all. I ordered an RCA TVPRAMP1R and will be trying that.
So for right now I have the antenna hooked up directly to one TV because when I split it I lose the weak signal that I have. Here is my TV report again at 25 ft.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda9a1e1eaeb3

Right now I am receiving 2-1, 2-2, 6-1, and 49 only. 2-1 is a little weak and 49 is the strongest. My son-in-law used a compass on his iphone to point to about 38 degrees(hopefully he did it right).

So my question is--should I be getting more channels than I am? Do the channels that I am getting suggest that I have it pointed incorrectly? I would like to get a few more and also be able to split the signal.

Just another bit of info. When I originally tried the 751R(outside holding it up in the air, but not on the roof) I got channels 49, 7, and one other-think it was 32--but not 2 and 6 like I get now. So I'm thinking that it's how I aim it.

Haven't cancelled my cable yet, but hopefully soon.

Thanks,
Mary

Last edited by clemmima; 12-Apr-2013 at 3:41 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-Apr-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
teleview

Use a - Plain Old School Compass - for antenna aiming.

Do Not connect the Tv antenna or coax from the Tv antenna or the amplifier or any other part of the Tv antenna system to the pay cable service system.

The Tv antenna and etc. Must Not Be connected to the pay cable service , Not cable Tv , Not internet cable , Not telephone cable service.

The antenna system and cable system Are Not connected together on to one coax in any shape or forum.

The antenna system is a separate system.

The cable service is a separate system.

Yes you can use the coaxes that are in or on the house for the antenna system , however the coaxes used for the antenna system Can Not be connected to the cable system.

And coaxes that are used for the cable system Can Not be connected to the antenna system.

To prove reception with the antenna , eliminate problems , Run a New coax from the antenna -->directly to 1 Tv. No couplers , No grounding block couplers , No splitters , No electronic devices.

Scan for Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

Check reception.

Now connect the , preamplifier , power inserter , power supply , and Scan for Channels.

Last edited by teleview; 13-Apr-2013 at 2:58 AM.
Old 12-Apr-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
GroundUrMast

My experience with the iPhone compass app has been that it can be off by as much as 180°. You may benefit from taking the time to adjust the aim in small steps, 5 degrees or so, checking reception and for most tuners, rescanning. Make notes and use nearby land marks to return the antenna to the best point of aim found.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote