TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 25-Sep-2016, 2:25 PM   #1
Blackbeen

RCA ANT3036XR question

I'm a new house and few months in I'm considering getting a better VHF range antenna to swap out the DB4e I have up with VHF add on since the UHF range is cover sufficiently by the Solid Signal HDB91X. I cant seem to find a listing for the separate VHF/UHF distance range just a 65 mile general, does anyone know the specs on this? It's on sale for $60 this week at Menards so this makes it a tempting replacement.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb38228a8e20

Blackbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2016, 4:00 PM   #2
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I think that you can improve your VHF performance and save some money by using a Stellar Labs 30-2476 VHF high-band yagi instead of the RCA: It only does VHF, and can be added to your existing stack far more easily. The 30-2476 should outperform the RCA on VHF channels 7-13, and only costs $34.99 plus shipping.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2016, 5:39 PM   #3
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
I think that you can improve your VHF performance and save some money by using a Stellar Labs 30-2476 VHF high-band yagi instead of the RCA: It only does VHF, and can be added to your existing stack far more easily. The 30-2476 should outperform the RCA on VHF channels 7-13, and only costs $34.99 plus shipping.
Thanks, one of the ugliest VHF antennas I've seen but it seems to be a great performer, I'm assuming its +60 mile range from the reviews I've read? i only wish I could get it from Menard's as I got rebate credit with them but still costs a few bucks less.
Old 27-Sep-2016, 9:47 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
With a rotator, you should be able to get all the Detroit stations, too.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeen View Post
Thanks, one of the ugliest VHF antennas I've seen but it seems to be a great performer, I'm assuming its +60 mile range from the reviews I've read? i only wish I could get it from Menard's as I got rebate credit with them but still costs a few bucks less.
Here, you can imagine what it the array will look like: HDB91X and 30-2476:

The 30-2476 may be more wind worthy than the DB4e and much more wind worthy than the RCA 3036XR, both are wind catchers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-06-05 Both Arrays (16)resize.jpg (106.4 KB, 2551 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-06-05 Both Arrays resized.jpg (174.6 KB, 2474 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 2-Oct-2016 at 11:42 AM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
With a rotator, you should be able to get all the Detroit stations, too.
I would hope, I get 2 (real 7) & 9 at night now regularly with the single dipole add on top on the DB4e, I would hope to get daytime reception with this but 2 is a pretty weak transmitter.
Old 29-Sep-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Here, you can imagine what it the array will look like: HDB91X and 30-2476:
Yeah that's about how I planned to mount I was surprised the 30-2476 is only 5" shy of the HDB91X, any reason more forward mounting of the 30-2476? I have mine set to be more centered with the reflectors parallel, planning on about 3' spacing.

Quote:
The 30-2476 may be more wind worthy than the DB4e and much more wind worthy than the RCA 3036XR, but both are wind catchers.
Yeah, its a bit of a sail but both are light & my top mast is less than 10'.
Old 30-Sep-2016, 12:57 AM   #8
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

The only reason I mounted it forward is because the instructions show the mount there. And that's how it ended up on the mast. I know I thought the same thing later when I looked at it. And the funny thing is the ad picture of it shows the clamp between another set of elements than the instructions show.
Mine should probably be mounted even. I don't know if there's a rule on that or not. It may not matter.
Old 30-Sep-2016, 1:08 AM   #9
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
I would hope, I get 2 (real 7) & 9 at night now regularly with the single dipole add on top on the DB4e, I would hope to get daytime reception with this but 2 is a pretty weak transmitter.
I called Antennas Direct. Really excellent help there. I asked him about the VHF add-on kit and there are actually two different ones. One is slightly better then the other. You have to actually ask them fo it, they keep it in the office.

I understand it ships from another location than their regular antennas.. However, I believe the VHF add-on kit is barely a compromise. Even the Tech Guy said anything more than 35 miles his risky with that antenna meaning the VHF add-on kit.

I think the 30 - 2476 will open up New Horizons for you. It is a clean-looking antenna and well-constructed. Also during another conversation I had with an antenna Tech Guy, he said that when there is nothing they can do for their customer about VHF reception they actually recommend the 30 - 2476. Even though it is made by another antenna company.
Old 30-Sep-2016, 5:27 AM   #10
Blackbeen

Quote:
I called Antennas Direct. Really excellent help there. I asked him about the VHF add-on kit and there are actually two different ones. One is slightly better then the other. You have to actually ask them fo it, they keep it in the office.

I understand it ships from another location than their regular antennas.. However, I believe the VHF add-on kit is barely a compromise. Even the Tech Guy said anything more than 35 miles his risky with that antenna meaning the VHF add-on kit.

I think the 30 - 2476 will open up New Horizons for you. It is a clean-looking antenna and well-constructed. Also during another conversation I had with an antenna Tech Guy, he said that when there is nothing they can do for their customer about VHF reception they actually recommend the 30 - 2476. Even though it is made by another antenna company.
The add on was the one dipole from the Antennas Direct ClearStream, they actually sent the reflector from that antenna in the kit order, its a jimmy rig basically.
I mounted pretty similarly with the HDB91X on top using the Stellar Labs UHF - VHF Antenna Combiner http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2230-/33-2230 this was a pain as the combiner case would not contain the high quality guarded cables I had been using due to the heads being too large for the case so I had to cut new traditional cables with twist on heads to fit the case.
The end result so far is that 2 is rock solid, not a single dropout since I scanned in the afternoon until I pointed east to get 24 Toledo around midnight, 9 was less good, only could get with a direct point (whereas a general ch 50 point will do) with a lot of breakup, the UHF reception has been pretty disappointing, I'm really hoping its the weather as its been storming in Detroit today but tonight (prime reception time) I scanned under 20 channels (poor in any weather) 20 & 7 haven't been seen at all & 4 ,62, 56 are only seen intermittently with lots of breakup, I thought in the first couple hours that ch 4 "seemed" rock solid & I was expecting it to stay. I was hoping for improvement with the height boost of the HDB91X but perhaps the DB4e was doing more than I thought when I consider it to be UHF overkill, it always was a very impressive antenna, I got the HDB91X for a more directional point but I'm not sure if it tops the fringe reception, I would hate to have to remount again soon as that was more of a pain than expected but if things don't improve something will have to change.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...m5pQzM4Y3BicE0

Last edited by Blackbeen; 30-Sep-2016 at 5:36 AM.
Old 30-Sep-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
I mounted pretty similarly with the HDB91X on top using the Stellar Labs UHF - VHF Antenna Combiner http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2230-/33-2230 this was a pain as the combiner case would not contain the high quality guarded cables I had been using due to the heads being too large for the case so I had to cut new traditional cables with twist on heads to fit the case.
The end result so far is that 2 is rock solid, not a single dropout since I scanned in the afternoon until I pointed east to get 24 Toledo around midnight, 9 was less good, only could get with a direct point (whereas a general ch 50 point will do) with a lot of breakup, the UHF reception has been pretty disappointing, I'm really hoping its the weather as its been storming in Detroit today but tonight (prime reception time) I scanned under 20 channels (poor in any weather) 20 & 7 haven't been seen at all & 4 ,62, 56 are only seen intermittently with lots of breakup, I thought in the first couple hours that ch 4 "seemed" rock solid & I was expecting it to stay. I was hoping for improvement with the height boost of the HDB91X but perhaps the DB4e was doing more than I thought when I consider it to be UHF overkill, it always was a very impressive antenna, I got the HDB91X for a more directional point but I'm not sure if it tops the fringe reception, I would hate to have to remount again soon as that was more of a pain than expected but if things don't improve something will have to change.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...m5pQzM4Y3BicE0
It might be that the DB4e worked better because it is not as directional since it looks like you are trying to pick up channels from some degrees apart.

That is a nice combiner.

For about $14 more there is a RCA PREAMP1R available and it is a great UHF/VHF combiner. I used it to combine my UHF VHF antennas. it has about 20bd boost and lower noise. There were some issues reported a while back, but I haven't read anything lately and both of mine work well:

ttps://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1Z-Preamplifier-Outdoor-Antenna/dp/B003P92D9Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1475238081&sr=1-1&keywords=RCA+PREAMP1R
That preamp couldn't hurt looking at the distances you are working with...

Anyhow, I hope one of the experts can offer some help here for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCM Combiner crop.jpg (47.7 KB, 2462 views)
Old 30-Sep-2016, 2:31 PM   #12
Blackbeen

Quote:
It might be that the DB4e worked better because it is not as directional since it looks like you are trying to pick up channels from some degrees apart.

For about $14 more there is a RCA PREAMP1R available and it is a great UHF/VHF combiner. I used it to combine my UHF VHF antennas. it has about 20bd boost and lower noise. There were some issues reported a while back, but I haven't read anything lately and both of mine work well.

Anyhow, I hope one of the experts can offer some help here for you.
I tried to comb a number of the specific magnetic points (at least for 7 & 20), didn't seem to differ much.
I'm limited to a preamp designed for powering by +17 VDC at less than 50mA using a single cable connection in conjunction with the Eagle ROTR100 I'm not sure if that one will work, I'm presently using none, I have a Juice but its incompatible, I'm not sure which ones are, I wrote the company for suggestions.
Old 30-Sep-2016, 6:05 PM   #13
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There are exactly ZERO current preamps on the market that are compatible with the ROTR100's One-Cable system. The RCA is NOT compatible with it. FWIW, I suspect that feature wasn't even enabled in the product the last time it was manufactured back around 2011. I tried several of the rotors with amps that met their specs and none of the rotors would work with any of the amps

Run two cables, there is no alternative unless you can find one of the really old CM or Winegard amps that were supposed to compatible with it.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 30-Sep-2016 at 6:12 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2016, 6:29 PM   #14
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
There are exactly ZERO current preamps on the market that are compatible with the ROTR100's One-Cable system. The RCA is NOT compatible with it. FWIW, I suspect that feature wasn't even enabled in the product the last time it was manufactured back around 2011. I tried several of the rotors with amps that met their specs and none of the rotors would work with any of the amps

Run two cables, there is no alternative unless you can find one of the really old CM or Winegard amps that were supposed to compatible with it.
I'm not convinced a preamp is even needed or would help reception, the cable run from the highest antenna to the point of entry into the house is only around 30 feet, the work & inconvenience of running another cable doesn't seem worth the gamble.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 30-Sep-2016 at 6:38 PM.
Old 1-Oct-2016, 1:33 AM   #15
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
I tried to comb a number of the specific magnetic points (at least for 7 & 20), didn't seem to differ much.
I'm limited to a preamp designed for powering by +17 VDC at less than 50mA using a single cable connection in conjunction with the Eagle ROTR100 I'm not sure if that one will work, I'm presently using none, I have a Juice but its incompatible, I'm not sure which ones are, I wrote the company for suggestions.

I'm sorry I did not realize you were running a one wire rotor system. Personally, I would run a separate cable. If it were me, I would be trying it a different idea like some sort of pre amp system...I hope one of these other guys chimes in, maybe someone has a better idea...

I would like to see you succeed, I hope you can figure out what is wrong with your system. I guess possibly you could get a larger antenna like a DB8e for your UHF.

Last edited by bobsgarage; 1-Oct-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 1-Oct-2016, 7:07 AM   #16
Blackbeen

Quote:
I'm sorry I did not realize you were running a one wire rotor system. Personally, I would run a separate cable. If it were me, I would be trying it a different you're out like some sort of pre amp system.. I hope one of these other guys chimes in, maybe someone has a better idea...

I would like to see you succeed, I hope you can figure out what is wrong with your system. I guess possibly you could get a larger antenna like a DB8e for your UHF.
Again, it seems too much work for a relatively short cable run that may or may not need it, the DB8e is basically two DB4e's pinned together, the DB4e is a really good antenna but I have one already so buying a DB8e at over triple what I payed is not very tempting (house funds are tight as is). I've been considering the Stellar Labs (30-2415) http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2415-/30-2415
but though the gain is listed at a high 18dB from what I've been reading its being said to be a lessor of the HDB91X, I'm not sure if that is bias, personally in my experience the HDB91X has been a lessor to the DB4e (with the exception of receiving ch4 slightly better, the goal of using it, though the loss in 0 reception of ch20 & ch7, even at night presently, among others is not worth that.) If HDB91X is the best, as claimed, for fringe UHF I'm not sure where to go, it hasn't been my experience, the DBs are claimed to be "ideal for suburban and rural areas where heavy foliage or roofing materials reduce the incoming signal". this is certainty my circumstance so perhaps that's why it outperforms. I actually have the lessor Solid Signal HDB4X, so I could conceivably jimmy together with the DB4e for a equivalent of the DB8e but I think that is rather top heavy for that stack, I would hope for a single UHF antenna solution ideally.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 1-Oct-2016 at 7:09 AM.
Old 1-Oct-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Again, it seems too much work for a relatively short cable run that may or may not need it
Well, if you can ever achieve a good signal without a preamp and you add at TV or two, you may be back in the same position, unless you get a distribution amp.

Quote:
I've been considering the Stellar Labs (30-2415) http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2415-/30-2415.
I think that is a copy of this antenna:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=149881
It is on sale right now. It has a variable strength pre-amp. I already know, you don't want a pre-amp, but you can use it without and it is there should you need it and want to run separate cable to your rotor.

Quote:
but though the (30-2415) gain is listed at a high 18dB from what I've been reading its being said to be a lessor of the HDB91X, I'm not sure if that is bias, personally in my experience the HDB91X has been a lessor to the DB4e (with the exception of receiving ch4 slightly better, the goal of using it, though the loss in 0 reception of ch20 & ch7, even at night presently, among others is not worth that.)

Quote:
If HDB91X is the best, as claimed, for fringe UHF I'm not sure where to go, it hasn't been my experience,
Like all antennas, especially Chinese copies, (in this case the 91 XG was copied), they are usually overrated.

Quote:
The DBs are claimed to be "ideal for suburban and rural areas where heavy foliage or roofing materials reduce the incoming signal". this is certainty my circumstance so perhaps that's why it outperforms.
Yes, but aren't most of the stations you are trying to get close to 60 miles? With any trees, that's a double whammy.

Quote:
I actually have the lessor Solid Signal HDB4X, so I could conceivably jimmy together with the DB4e for a equivalent of the DB8e but I think that is rather top heavy for that stack, I would hope for a single UHF antenna solution ideally
I have seen cases where two antennas were made into one by adding a section of the other. I was going to do that with my HDB91X, by buying another and adding the front section to another and still have what amounts to an HDB43X.

AD Tech has done it with an 91XG and picked up some gain, but it was minimal.

Quote:
I actually have the lessor Solid Signal HDB4X, so I could conceivably jimmy together with the DB4e for a equivalent of the DB8e but I think that is rather top heavy for that stack, I would hope for a single UHF antenna solution ideally. ]
Putting two dissimilar antennas together will be the biggest challenge you have faced, it probably won't work, you will most likely be disappointed. I have been there, I know. On the other hand, it can't hurt to try it though, who knows you might get lucky.

The Winegard HD7698P is a one antenna solution for UHF and VHF, but it is highly directional. And in the $130+ range + shipping, so that's out I'm sure. So is that Televes DAT709 LR Mix, which is available without VHF (minus the "mix")

Last edited by bobsgarage; 1-Oct-2016 at 1:01 PM.
Old 1-Oct-2016, 6:36 PM   #18
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Did you ever try an FM filter? Your local FM transmitters are even stronger at your new location and might interfere with VHF reception of 7 and 9.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/9...a/Radar-FM.png

WWWM-FM is 64.1 dB stronger than WJBK and 68 dB stronger than CBET.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2016, 12:46 AM   #19
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Did you ever try an FM filter? Your local FM transmitters are even stronger at your new location and might interfere with VHF reception of 7 and 9.
http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/9...a/Radar-FM.png

WWWM-FM is 64.1 dB stronger than WJBK and 68 dB stronger than CBET.
Yes, I use a FM filter, I broke down & tried a separate rotor cable & hooked up the Juice preamp, I have to eat my words as I went from 16 the afternoon to 32 channels with preamp pointing 22 degrees magnetic (the Detroit sweet spot), still no 20 though which is strange as that is usually one of the easiest pull prior to the recent setup. I haven't watched 7 too much but the little I watched in the afternoon was pretty intermittent still.
WJBK has been rock solid, zero break up all times of the day up since the 30-2476 install, even w/o the preamp, 9 is better post preamp with slight break up.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 2-Oct-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 2-Oct-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Glad to hear you tried the preamp. Was this all done with the HDB91X & 30-2476 ?

How did you combine the two antennas, with MCM combiner still ?

Also, I am assuming you are using the "real" channels numbers, not the virtual number, it appears to be the case.