TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Oct-2014, 5:26 PM   #1
BornBlind

Help needed from North Alabama

Hello all,

First, here is my analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243a9029de8fb

Roughly around 100-120ft of RG6 cable in use.

Current old Antenna:

This is what I currently have and have been messing with for the past week.

I cut the cable a couple of weeks ago, I have a current large outdoor antenna mounted to my house that was there when I bought the house. I was thinking that I could use it. I purchased a TiVo Roamio basic to use as my tuner. My signal based off of TiVo's meter, was only showing about 30-32 on most channels which was not producing a picture.

I ended up installing an Amplifier. I was kinda desperate for time so I bought this one from Radio Shack and installed it. It has raised my signal up on most channels from 32 to 40-50 (TiVo Signal Numbers) The problem is this, I am still having issues with a good solid picture on most all channels.

I am currently getting the following channels but not great:

6, 10, 13, 19, 21, 23, 27, 31, 42

Channel 13(NBC) is having a lot of trouble and is really important to get. I also would like to pickup 40 but am unable to do so at the moment.

I don't know if I would be better to buy another newer antenna or is what I have good? It is so high up, that I have not been able to move it to see if that would help matters. Also, I am not liking the current mounting during wind. It does move some at the top during this time.

Thanks so much for your time as I'm trying to get this going strong before my wife kills me because she can't watch her shows on live tv.
BornBlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
coco

is the rg6 cable old as the antenna? If it is I would try a new balun and new short piece of coax with no splitter. Maybe bring a portable tv outside near antenna mast, the wind may have turned the antenna
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Oct-2014, 9:53 PM   #3
BornBlind

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
is the rg6 cable old as the antenna? If it is I would try a new balun and new short piece of coax with no splitter. Maybe bring a portable tv outside near antenna mast, the wind may have turned the antenna
Thanks, I have thought about doing this. It mounted so high, I was trying to avoid replacing the cable. This also becomes a challenge at trying to turn the antenna.

I took a tv and hooked it up using about 30 feet of the coax and it produced pretty much the same signal.

One of my concerns was the type of antenna. I am assuming that what I have there is good based off of my report?
BornBlind is offline   Reply With Quote